2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (BMKE, anotherscott, astrotoy, Boboulus, Andrew E., 19 invisible), 1,071 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3188465 01/25/22 02:31 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi! My mother-in-law in Winchester, Virginia is looking to sell a 1983 Yamaha C3 that was used by her husband until he passed. It has been kept inside (e.g. not garage) but not played regularly for the past 5 years. While I recognize we will probably get less selling to a dealer, we would prefer this route for ease of sale. Before I start engaging in earnest with dealers, I was hoping to get your ideas for a valuation range of valuation. I recognize there are many factors in play but based on reading this forum and on-line marketplaces, I'm thinking $8,000-$12,000.

Also, do you recommend getting a valuation from an RPT before proceeding? How much should I expect that to cost?

See pictures here

Thanks very much!

David/

W
W
If I were in your shoes, I would get the piano prepped.
Find a local tuner, ask to tune the piano, ask them to clean the piano and have them appraise it too.

You will have your appraisal and piano will sell better too. Interested customers would also enjoy a tuned piano much more too.

Walkman #3188473 01/25/22 03:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks @Walkman! Good advice. How much should I expect to pay for that?

W
W
I am not from the US and have no idea about the prices there smile Hopefully some other people will answer your pricing question. You could also post this in the Tuner Technicians subforum here.

Last edited by Walkman; 01/25/22 03:23 PM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If your plan is to sell it to a dealer I wouldn't spend anything getting it prepped. I would only do that if you sell it privately. Your price expectation seems reasonable to me based on selling prices for other C3s of that era. Given the market right now, you probably could sell it privately without much effort and get a few thousand more for it.

I can't tell if it's the lighting in the photo that shows the trap work, but what is that white stuff? It looks like it could be dust from a humidifier. If it really is something that you can remove, I'd clean that off.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Contrary to the opinion of many, the instrument is in its declining years. The design lifespan of a piano is about 30-40 years, at which point major components are showing significant signs of degradation through age, use, and environment. Any dealer worth his salt is going to have to put some significant time and money into it in order to effectively sell it. I would very surprised if you were to get any offer over $5k.

I'm interested in the outcome though.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
MarkL #3188512 01/25/22 05:38 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL
If your plan is to sell it to a dealer I wouldn't spend anything getting it prepped. I would only do that if you sell it privately. Your price expectation seems reasonable to me based on selling prices for other C3s of that era. Given the market right now, you probably could sell it privately without much effort and get a few thousand more for it.

I can't tell if it's the lighting in the photo that shows the trap work, but what is that white stuff? It looks like it could be dust from a humidifier. If it really is something that you can remove, I'd clean that off.

I agree with MarkL. I do not believe a dealer would offer you any more for the C3 whether the piano was recently tuned, cleaned, and serviced or not. I could be wrong, but don't think I am.

I will say, however, the Yamaha C3 is a very popular grand piano, and you shouldn't have any trouble selling it. I also agree with MarkL that selling it privately to an interested buyer, rather than a dealer, would yield the highest price. On the other hand, if you just want to get rid of it ASAP, the dealer might be the best way to go.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
BTW the OP asked about the cost of tuning or evaluation by a piano tech -- this tends to vary regionally, and then also it's often a little more expensive in urban areas. The other detail is that a piano that hasn't been tuned in several years requires a little more work and may need more than one tuning to be brought up to pitch (although if the C3 was tuned regularly and then has not been tuned for 5 years, I bet it wouldn't need the kind of pitch raise you see on a long-neglected instrument).

In any case, here are some numbers:
1. $150 for a standard tuning
2. Pitch correction, add $50-100
3. Evaluation: depends but maybe $100??
4. Additional work is often $100/hour.

You might find someone who charges much more or a little less. Piano techs and tuners can usually give you some ballpark prices on the phone, it's work calling around and seeing who you can find.

Oh, the other benefit to connecting with a piano tech -- they may know people who want to buy privately, so it's a good contact to make.

Which reminds me: would you decide to sell it privately if a dealer offered $5000 but you could sell it yourself for $10,000? Because that is a scenario I could easily imagine. Something to think about.

And, if you are going to sell it privately, definitely get it tuned and prettied up, it makes a huge difference!

Hopefully this info helps!

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I will bow to the expertise of Peter W. Grey as far as the marketability of the piano to a dealer is concerned. I will say, however (non-professional opinion), that if you hope to sell it privately it should be tuned, if it hasn't recently been tuned. Nothing is more frustrating to a serious, potential buyer - and can even be a deal breaker - to come across a piano that is not in good tune. How can a buyer assess the tone of a piano if it is not in tune?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I am guessing the maximum you'd get for this piano, as a private sale, tuned and with whatever touchups it needs (slight regulation or voicing tweaks, or cleaning it internally, or fixing any prominent nicks or scratches in the case finish, etc.) might fetch you $10k for a C3 of this age that's otherwise original and not from an institutional environment. You're looking at an investment of probably less than $500 to get the piano into this sort of shape.

Sold to a dealer as-is, they're probably going to give you half that ($5k) as a wholesale price, because they will need to do the things I listed above to be able to sell it for $10-11k, move it, and ostensibly offer some sort of warranty for it.

These are educated guesses as to the pricing. A $4,500 difference in my pocket would be worth some extra effort on my end, if it were my piano. But that's just me. Thinking you're going to get $12k for that piano as a private sale is probably not in line with reality, given its age. Consigning it at a dealer is another option, if you can work out the terms and they have the ability to get the piano back into shape to be sold for the best possible price.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
I hope you can get a good price for this piano. Yamahas from this period can have a beautiful singing tone, subject to the piano being in good order. A general overview is that the instrument needs a good clean out, and it certainly needs the case buffed. We can't tell what condition the soundboard is in (likely fine, to be honest), and we can't tell if the strings are still serviceable. Yamaha pianos from this period were not as good in the bass, and sometimes the bass strings can go a bit tubby. I'm *not* recommending that you do this but in an ideal world the piano would be restrung as part of its servicing and the action will probably need considerable servicing that may extend to new hammers and damper felts.

All that considered, I suspect that a dealer would offer you $3000-$5000 for this piano. They may offer a bit more, Yamaha is usually a good seller, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Although I've just said the piano may need all that work done, it may also be that the piano is perfectly serviceable as it is, and perfectly functional for a music student or pianist who requires a functional instrument but is just looking for a workhorse. If the piano is functional and serviceable there's probably a good five or ten years of life in it - not stellar, youthful, concert quality life, but you know what I mean. My hunch is that in a private sale, without a warranty, sold as seen, the piano might be worth $5000 - $10,000, but that $10,000 would be a very lucky scenario.

It's always difficult to know when selling a used grand, but I think if you get offered $6000 - $7000 you should probably take it, although naturally I'd love to see you get that $10k

YAMAHA Artist
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To David, the OP, I hope you’ll come back and let us know what you were able to sell it for once it’s all over.

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
This is all immensely helpful! i appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my query. I'll be sure to provide an update after we sell.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
thumb

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Edifier r2750 db. How to connect to latop?
by Ubu - 05/22/22 02:31 PM
Voicing
by Senahoi - 05/22/22 01:42 PM
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,181
Posts3,193,634
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission