2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
lack of editing again, a function desperately needed on this forum. I read all replies and saw it is for a church audience.

While they have slightly better sit still stamina then the general population, I still think over an hour is too much.

Make it a fun 45-50 minutes, better to error on the short side then have the audience get bored at the end.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Learux
lack of editing again, a function desperately needed on this forum. I read all replies and saw it is for a church audience.

While they have slightly better sit still stamina then the general population, I still think over an hour is too much.

Make it a fun 45-50 minutes, better to error on the short side then have the audience get bored at the end.

Hi Learex

We all have the ability to edit for ten minutes. I would be surprised if this length of time is extended, as there was originally a longer time and then it was shortened

X
xtype10 Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks Learux, that is the plan. Gonna plan for no more than 1 hour including intermission. Possibly an encore piece if its warranted. Most of the audience will be in 50-70 age group so I think they will be a little more patient than most (i hope).

I meant to post on this earlier. I agree with the conclusions that others came to. When I read that the concert was 1.5 hours for a non-classical audience, I figured it's unlikely it'll hold their interest. I would keep the Beethoven, Bach, Chopin OR Liszt selections. It sucks since a huge programme like this has taken a lot of work. I do recommend recording all of the works and maybe posting them on YouTube, although it would take a lot of effort.

Working On:
Beethoven Op. 53
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
Chopin Op. 31
Ravel Sonatine
D
D
Even as a fairly seasoned classical listener I always enjoy a programme where the performer talks a little about each piece and why they chose it or particularly enjoy it. Maybe your son could do this? Good experience - how to engage a mixed audience without patronising those in it who are knowlegable.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by dorfmouse
Even as a fairly seasoned classical listener I always enjoy a programme where the performer talks a little about each piece and why they chose it or particularly enjoy it. Maybe your son could do this? Good experience - how to engage a mixed audience without patronising those in it who are knowlegable.

What a great idea!

Online Content
Originally Posted by 13bwl
It sucks since a huge programme like this has taken a lot of work. I do recommend recording all of the works and maybe posting them on YouTube, although it would take a lot of effort.
Learning all the pieces was a lot of work but I can't imagine all the pieces were ever intended as a single program for any audience.

Both in length and type(mostly overtly virtuosic works) the pieces would not make a good, balanced program for any audience. The list seems more like repertoire learned over the last year or two. The OPs son will have the chance to play these works in future recitals so learning the pieces was not a waste of time.

X
xtype10 Offline OP
OP Offline
X
You are correct it wasn't intended for a single recital. It's just what the Curtis teacher required for the full year of studies. It's pretty crazy because it's required repertoire for only about 7 months of the school year

W
W
As much as I would enjoy this recital, I think for the non listeners all of this pieces are too difficult to digest and like at the first hearing. I would definitely shorten the recital under an hour.
Definitely take Fantasie off the liszt. Start with norma. End with the ballade. Leave one or two mazurkas for the encore.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
It sucks since a huge programme like this has taken a lot of work. I do recommend recording all of the works and maybe posting them on YouTube, although it would take a lot of effort.
Learning all the pieces was a lot of work but I can't imagine all the pieces were ever intended as a single program for any audience.

Both in length and type(mostly overtly virtuosic works) the pieces would not make a good, balanced program for any audience. The list seems more like repertoire learned over the last year or two. The OPs son will have the chance to play these works in future recitals so learning the pieces was not a waste of time.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't consider it time wasted even if the repertoire was never performed or recorded. It was challenging from post to tell what point in his piano development OPs son was. Learning that he's attending Curtis puts things a bit better into perspective.

Working On:
Beethoven Op. 53
Beethoven Op. 90
Schubert Op. 90 No. 3
Chopin Op. 31
Ravel Sonatine
Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't consider it time wasted even if the repertoire was never performed or recorded. It was challenging from post to tell what point in his piano development OPs son was. Learning that he's attending Curtis puts things a bit better into perspective.
My point was the list was not a "huge programme". It was never meant to be a program.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission