2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (anamnesis, AaronSF, 36251, achoo42, astrotoy, adrian4444, AJB, 22 invisible), 768 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lucya85 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi all. I am a self-taught piano player. I used to play nearly every day but since having my daughter I’ve found myself hardly playing at all. This is mainly due to my Roland FP4 being in the attic and once my daughter is in bed I cannot go up there to play. I don’t have the space to have the piano out permanently downstairs, so I need an alternative that is easy to manoeuvre, whilst not compromising on sound/feel.

I am out of touch with what is good these days, having had my Roland for nearly 15 years, however I’m looking for realistic playing - and I’m presuming this is still achieved best by weighted keys…

I have the opportunity to play a Steinway piano at work sometimes, so I’d like to keep my practice time at home as realistic as possible, however I’m also mindful that this adds weight to the item, therefore if anyone has some other alternatives to keep weight low, I’m all ears!!

I love the idea of the Roland GO full-size version, but I think there’d likely be a compromise on the feel of playing it.

Thanks again. I look forward to reading your suggestions!!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Lucy, welcome to the forum. Congrats for the baby too.

Originally Posted by Lucya85
so I need an alternative that is easy to manoeuvre, whilst not compromising on sound/feel.
This will be one thing hard to achieve, given the requirements you mention, there is not a way to not compromise. smile

I am out of touch with what is good these days
This forum may not be the best place to get in touch with what is good these days, I am affraid smile , you will probably have many opinions, which may be confusing; this is the nature of this (I think every) forum. The folks here are willing to help though.

having had my Roland for nearly 15 years, however I’m looking for realistic playing - and I’m presuming this is still achieved best by weighted keys…

I have the opportunity to play a Steinway piano at work sometimes, so I’d like to keep my practice time at home as realistic as possible, however I’m also mindful that this adds weight to the item, therefore if anyone has some other alternatives to keep weight low, I’m all ears!!

I love the idea of the Roland GO full-size version, but I think there’d likely be a compromise on the feel of playing it.

Thanks again. I look forward to reading your suggestions!!

First question, what is the size and weight limit you consider manageable? That will help to learn what are your limitations.

You mention the Roland GO with 88 keys, it is light but I heard some consider its keys heavy because of the springs. You should try it yourself. Another keyboard with non-weighted keys that you could take a look at is the Numa Compact 2. Both weight 7kg (around 15lbs).

If you may handle a weight on the 12kg range (27lbs), then you should take a look at Yamaha P125 (or P121 if you can live with 76 keys instead of 88), Kawai ES110, Roland FP30x or a Casio Privia (PX360, PX560, PXS3000, PXS1000).

The ES110 is very well regarded around here. FP30x may also be an option for you if you are OK with the sound. Some disregard the Casios, but you should judge by yourself.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Correct.

Just to be clear, you're asking for something that feels at least about as good as a Roland FP4, but would be lighter to move around? EVC2017's suggestions pretty much cover it (along with some additional lower cost Casios, i.e. CDP-S100, CDP-S150, CDP-S350, CDP-S360), but the weights still vary quite a bit even among the ones mentioned. The Roland FP30x only about a pound less than your FP4 (which is close to 34 lbs), while some of the others can be as little as around 24-25 lbs. If you need to get below 24 lbs, you'll need to look for something with fewer than 88 keys, or something without a hammer action, or both.

L
Lucya85 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks both for your replies!! This is exactly the help I was looking for. In my research I have indeed stumbled upon the Kawai es110 and am lucky that there’s a shop nearby with these available to play so this will be my first port of call.

Thanks again!

F
F
Or check out the Roland RD-88. Love it.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks both for your replies!! This is exactly the help I was looking for. In my research I have indeed stumbled upon the Kawai es110 and am lucky that there’s a shop nearby with these available to play so this will be my first port of call.

Thanks again!

Lucy, take a look at Casio PXS3000 or 3100. Weight is 11.4kg it is very compact, which could make it the most appropriate for your use case. Down side is keys are short so it may be harder to play on the rear of the keys. There are some critics about this characteristic, but it may suit you well; I think you should try it, if possible, and judge by yourself.

Last edited by EVC2017; 01/24/22 06:15 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Edit time is over soo...
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Lucy, take a look at Casio PXS3000 or 3100.

Or their lower end siblings, PXS1000 or 1100.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,159
Posts3,193,204
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission