2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh my goodness, Old Square, that sounds terrifying!!

Pianos in motion are terrifying things.

Yes indeed!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Has the world run out of 20-something guys who lift? I don’t understand why the guy is moving that upright alone. Three guys from my dealer moved a Yamaha DYUS5 into my house. They had a really cool dolley that went up pretty high and they knew what they were doing, and they had muscle if the thing started to go the wrong way.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/21/22 09:30 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by LarryK
Has the world run out of 20-something guys who lift? I don’t understand why the guy is moving that upright alone. Three guys from my dealer moved a Yamaha DYUS5 into my house. They had a really cool dolley that went up pretty high and they knew what they were doing, and they had muscle if the thing started to go the wrong way.

He bought the piano from a private seller for $100, with agreement he would pay for the moving cost.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson

He bought the piano from a private seller for $100, with agreement he would pay for the moving cost.

That doesn’t answer my question, lol. So, the buyer was too cheap to pay for a couple of guys? I think it’s dangerous for one guy to move a piano. The guy moving the piano looks too small for the job. There is a coach in my Olympic weightlifting gym who can squat over 500lbs, and the owner can squat over 350lbs. Those are the type of guys for the job.

H
OP Offline
H
Hi all, just update here. I eventually found piano movers willing to go seller's place with $400. It was a little far from the metropolitan area (48 miles highway driving). The moving date is set to eariler Feb. due to high demand (I guess they other moving service too). So I have some time to clean up the room and figure out the retrofit muffler kit.
Sorry, moving by myself is beyond me. Don't want to hurt myself and the piano. Not easy to find a good Baldwin 243 in my area even though it is cheap.
Thank you all for helping! Will keep update once I have something new.

Learning progress in YouTube

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by HanchenXT
Hi all, just update here. I eventually found piano movers willing to go seller's place with $400. It was a little far from the metropolitan area (48 miles highway driving). The moving date is set to eariler Feb. due to high demand (I guess they other moving service too). So I have some time to clean up the room and figure out the retrofit muffler kit.
Sorry, moving by myself is beyond me. Don't want to hurt myself and the piano. Not easy to find a good Baldwin 243 in my area even though it is cheap.
Thank you all for helping! Will keep update once I have something new.
Given the distance (and round trip), $400 is reasonable for professional movers. The Baldwin looks excellent - I know you will enjoy it !!! Best.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Sorry, moving by myself is beyond me. Don't want to hurt myself and the piano.

No one should ever apologize for not moving their piano by themselves. We all just went down the rabbit hole talking about it! whome

When I bought my grand and had it delivered, after about 1-2 months I realized I wanted it to be in a different spot, facing a different direction, in the same room.

It has wheels, sure I could have moved it myself (or with friends). But I decided it wasn't worth risking hurting one of us, hurting the piano, damaging the floor, ripping the carpet.... I paid the piano moving pros to come back out and reposition it. It was perfect, and so much better in the new spot. Best $300 ever spent!

Anyway, good for you HanchenXT, I hope you have lots of fun when your Baldwin gets delivered! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
When I bought my grand and had it delivered, after about 1-2 months I realized I wanted it to be in a different spot, facing a different direction, in the same room.

It has wheels, sure I could have moved it myself (or with friends). But I decided it wasn't worth risking hurting one of us, hurting the piano, damaging the floor, ripping the carpet.... I paid the piano moving pros to come back out and reposition it. It was perfect, and so much better in the new spot. Best $300 ever spent!

I agree about NOT trying to roll a grand on the little wheels. Unless you have the modern steam roller wheels, they’re just for decoration (IMO).

My piano sits in the family room, which is the only carpeted room on the first floor. The carpet has started to develop a little wrinkle across half the room. frown It should be stretched out, but that can’t effectively be done with the piano sitting on it. I could try the five-strong-friends method to move it off the carpet, but there are also a couple steps up to the non-carpeted area. And, TBH, I’m not comfortable with the idea of setting it on the tile anyway (quality/strength of modern building materials is always suspect, and I don’t want to crack any). All the routes to a wooden floor are not quite wide enough to move a grand through without tipping it on its side, and even five strong guys are not gonna want to lift and carry a piano up steps and across 30 feet of tile anyway!

All that to say, in order to stretch the carpet, I’ll need to hire movers to move it out of the room while the carpet guys stretch the carpet and then move it back.

But we’re not entertaining much during covid anyway, so for now the wrinkle remains.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Forgot to mention...

I agree that no one should ever feel bad for not moving a piano themselves.
Frankly, I’d usually discourage it.

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by An Old Square
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
They are much more likely to tip towards the back than the side or front. Surprisingly so.

Yep.
I have a story about the upright that fell on me during a move because of equipment failure.
That was it, basically, details not interesting.
And that was the last move I physically participated in, ever.
Check your equipment people.

Although I have moved many pianos by myself or with my wife, I too have a story of getting pinned under a 800 lb upright on a move that went bad. Rather than equipment failure it was a "judgement" failure (trying to just "git-er-done". In my younger days...

BTW, the choice of the Hartford fixed wheel dolly is essential to one-man moves. This guy in the video knows that. I bought one soon after the above disaster. Pretty pricey at the time but well worth it. (Roughly 30 years ago).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Originally Posted by An Old Square
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
They are much more likely to tip towards the back than the side or front. Surprisingly so.

Yep.
I have a story about the upright that fell on me during a move because of equipment failure.
That was it, basically, details not interesting.
And that was the last move I physically participated in, ever.
Check your equipment people.

Although I have moved many pianos by myself or with my wife, I too have a story of getting pinned under a 800 lb upright on a move that went bad. Rather than equipment failure it was a "judgement" failure (trying to just "git-er-done". In my younger days...

BTW, the choice of the Hartford fixed wheel dolly is essential to one-man moves. This guy in the video knows that. I bought one soon after the above disaster. Pretty pricey at the time but well worth it. (Roughly 30 years ago).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Is this the Hartford dolley?

https://www.newhaven-usa.com/machine-moving-equipment/piano-dolly-steel-with-5-fixed-wheels

It looks similar to the one my three guys used to move my Yamaha DYUS5.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn’t hire one guy to move a piano. It’s similar to how I won’t hire a single guy to climb a tree with a chainsaw and cut it down. I want to see insurance coverage and a bucket truck.

I don’t need to get sued by some guy who gets hurt. It’s not worth any monetary savings to me.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/23/22 03:38 PM.
P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
New Haven dolly...YES! I knew it was Connecticut just couldn't remember the city!

Edit: They have everything related to piano moving.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 01/23/22 04:49 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Is this the Hartford dolley?

https://www.newhaven-usa.com/machine-moving-equipment/piano-dolly-steel-with-5-fixed-wheels

It looks similar to the one my three guys used to move my Yamaha DYUS5.

The guys who moved my Baldwin R in last Spring also moved the M to the basement. The backdoor only has about five steps, so they went outside and through the yard with it. For the grass they had a similar dolly, but it had even bigger golf cart style wheels for rolling over the lawn.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
New Haven has the all terrain dolley:

https://www.newhaven-usa.com/machine-moving-equipment/all-terrain-dolly-with-6-10-pneumatic-wheels

My guys went through a little patch of grass near the front door, they didn’t go cross country. I’m sure the all terrain is indispensable for rolling across lawns.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
New Haven has the all terrain dolley:

https://www.newhaven-usa.com/machine-moving-equipment/all-terrain-dolly-with-6-10-pneumatic-wheels

My guys went through a little patch of grass near the front door, they didn’t go cross country. I’m sure the all terrain is indispensable for rolling across lawns.

There must be more than one design around. The guys who brought my large upright down the grassy bumpy hill we call a lawn (only slightly exaggerated) made it look very easy with a cross country dolly having only four inflatable tyres but bigger fatter ones than the Newhaven design.

P
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
P
There are other designs out there. New Haven makes good rugged stuff. The one I see in the photo above I think is the standard NH piano dolly but modified with larger tires. I considered doing that myself at one time. Larger wheels make minor obstacles easier to roll over with 400-900 lbs of piano on it.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
H
OP Offline
H
Hi all, just update on the baldwin 243. The piano was moved to my place. I am glad that I bought it. Much better comparing to my Yamaha YDP-142 (though it is a good entry level digital piano). The action and tone are very good for my level. I think it will stay with me for many years.
Did the pitch raise. Pin block was pretty tight. Here is a short Beyer Op 101 no. 66 YouTube video I recorded today.

Learning progress in YouTube

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Yamaha P-125
Originally Posted by HanchenXT
Hi all, just update on the baldwin 243. The piano was moved to my place. I am glad that I bought it. Much better comparing to my Yamaha YDP-142 (though it is a good entry level digital piano). The action and tone are very good for my level. I think it will stay with me for many years.
Did the pitch raise. Pin block was pretty tight. Here is a short Beyer Op 101 no. 66 YouTube video I recorded today.

Congratulations again on your Baldwin 243 studio upright piano! I watched your YT video and the piano looks good and sounds good. Your playing was nice too, and you are doing well with your left-hand/right-hand independence. Not an easy thing to do. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Congrats, it sounds great!!

Wait, is this the piano that you payed $100 for, plus $500 for moving??

If so, fantastic! Definitely money well-spent!!

How did the tuning/pitch raise set you back?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Hanchen
Your new Baldwin sounds GREAT! Congrats 😊

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission