2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (anamnesis, Bill McKaig,RPT, AndreaH, Adem, Calavera, BMKE, 23 invisible), 925 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Hi guys,

After some advice please. I'm shopping for a grand piano and have narrowed it to the following:

Used Yamaha C2 from 2002, excellent condition and plays very well. Asking price $25,000 AUD (before any negotiation)
New Kawai GL30 (no used GL available). RRP $25,000 AUD (before any negotiation)

How much discount could reasonably be expected in the Adelaide/Australian market currently? I am aware of delays/increased cost of freight of pianos from overseas due to the pandemic, but not sure how much this will really influence the fair price for these instruments in the local market.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Welcome! Hopefully some of the members from Australia will chime in. Piano prices tend to vary a lot geographically, so a good price in the US is not the same as a good price in Australia. For the US, the PianoBuyer.com website offers a lot of information about expected prices. Based on this, in the US, the Kawai would be offered at a very good price (after converting to USD, it comes to 65% of the Suggested Maximum Price, or SMP; in the US, most discounts are ~20-30% off the SMP).
The used Yamaha is another story. Is it being offered by a dealer? The price seems high, but again this is from the perspective of the US market. In the US, a new C2X has a SMP of 40K USD. Pianos depreciate over time. PianoBuyer.com also has a depreciation table, which can help you estimate the value of a used piano. Per the table and depending on the condition, a 20 year old piano will usually be 35-45% the value of a new piano. So starting with a 20% discount on the SMP, this would leave you with a range between 15.6-20K AUD. I would also not take the seller’s word about the condition. You will want a technician you hire to inspect a used piano and make sure it is actually in good shape. Again, the numbers I give are reasonable for the American market and may not be very relevant for Australia.

What did you think of the two pianos? Which did you like the best? And good luck on the piano search!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW!

I can't speak to the prices in Australia, but I think it's notable that the 20 y/o Yamaha is the same price as a brand new Kawai... think about that a bit... although how to interpret it is by no means clear...

The C2 is a bit bigger than GL30, and a higher grade of piano AFAIK. But I have a C2 that was made in 2000, so same vintage, and I am biased! whome

There's something to be said for buying a so-called better model (here, that would be the C2).

But there's also something to be said for buying a brand new piano by a highly respected maker (here, that's theGL30).

If your financial outlay is the same, then all that really matters is which piano you like better.

Have you played both? If so, which did you like better? If you've only played the C2, I think you need to play the GL30 before you make any decisions.

Oh and by the way, both pianos can probably be negotiated down in price as well, further muddying the waters!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
I can't help you with prices because I don't know anything about the Australian market. Regarding these pianos, honestly I think anything in the Kawai GL line or even the Yamaha GC line will serve you well. I know that Kawai's GX line and yamaha's C line use better parts or are advertised as better quality pianos, but if price is a concern I can't imagine that the GC and GL line are subpar. I think any of these pianos are quality pianos that will last equally long. If you are into the Yamaha I would even consider looking into the GC model before you jump on the C model. Just play them and see what you think of them. If you can't tell the difference or if the difference is not large enough, save some cash and do the GC model.

Ok, but back to your specific models, which I just tried this past week. These are two quality pianos, but they are very different in sound and touch. Neither one is better than the other, they are just different. The Yamaha is brighter sounding and the action is lighter than the GL30. Also, the C2 has extra depth in the bass and an an extra shimmer (almost like reverb) because it's a little larger than the GL30. But again, that's not necessarily better nor worse. The GL30 sounds very defined and refined in a very intimate way. The sound of the GL30 kind of feels more in your face and it is very warm. I truly don't think you can go wrong with either one of these pianos. As ShiroKuro stated, get an independent tech to look at the used piano. Play these pianos as much as you can so that you can make your decision. But again, these are two quality pianos and I think you can't go wrong with either one.

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
C
C
HoneySoy, I'm from Adelaide as well but that doesn't mean I know much about piano pricing.

The Kawai and Yamaha seem very similar pianos as far as size goes. But as the Yamaha is 20 years old, I would expect it to be a fair bit cheaper.

I bought an early 80's Yamaha C7 from Winston Music about 4 years ago. $20,500 was the final price. Gave me a good trade-in on my other piano and knocked a bit off the price. Have you checked out Winston's? They have a lot of Yamahas.

I noticed Piano Max have a C2 for $27K, and a C7 made in 1987 for $34K. The C7 is a beautiful piano. Have you tried it?

Good luck with your purchase. Don't be afraid to talk down the price. Go to both Winston's and Piano Max and play them off each other!

S
S
I suddenly played Yamaha and Kawai pianos (I am on a shopping trip), both feel totally different. I preferred the Kawai, cause more control over piano forte and in my opinion also the better sound. you should take your time for your expensive decision. next I will try 40-50 year old steinways and boesendorfers. same price s a new GL30

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What's it Like Being a Piano Teacher?
by chromaticvortex - 05/22/22 03:49 PM
Edifier r2750 db. How to connect to latop?
by Ubu - 05/22/22 02:31 PM
Voicing
by Senahoi - 05/22/22 01:42 PM
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,182
Posts3,193,654
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission