2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, 0day, ada d., brdwyguy, accordeur, CentauriB, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,007 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have worked with the material of several of the teachers' mentioned here. I'd say that they each offer different things, focus on different elements, so it also depends on what you're looking for, and what you're at. Btw, Shirley Kirsten should also be in the list.

Zhdanov - I bought a set on the Burgmueller etudes, and worked on Sylphs. He is very good in setting out technique, that is physical motions for different types of motions - or "gestures" for different types of passages - clarity and thoroughness. It is easy to study; to work with this material. Nothing is left out. He also plays through the piece at full tempo. This is important, because often physical gestures are shown in exaggeration, possibly simplified (by anyone), and it is better to also see it in 'real form'.

He is also responsive. I had a question about the format of the course (can I download the notation so I can write in it with a pencil) and he responded within a day or two. Recently in one of his Youtube videos he addressed the idea of "one buttock playing" per that popular video, preferring stability - I found a video where he himself had leaned, and he responded within a couple of hours. Before responding, he studied the video of his own playing several times, put a link to his other video into the Youtube channel, and will be examining this more closely. This is the opposite of rigid and unresponsive teachers, and to me, a sign of good teaching. ...... He also has videos on purely technical matters.

Fitch - Presently, I purchased a course on the Beethoven Pathetique - I won't be able to do mov't 1 at anywhere near full tempo, so it's a first pass and stretch piece, but there is plenty to learn here. I got it for one passage in particular. For this passage, he sets out a series of 8 exercises to be practised one after the other, each over a number of days. You emphasize different notes, play particular rhythms, leave out or add notes. By the time you're done, you have a facility in your hands that wasn't there before (that's the aim). He also has a lot of material on pure technique which might dovetail with this.

Zhdanov and Fitch are sort of opposite, and thus complementary.

----------
Masicotte Has a lot of physical teaching things I like. When teaching pieces he does tend to sort of meander, though not as bad as Josh Wright who seems to jump all over the place, interupting himself. I think I purchased one little course on a piece from Wright, and vaguely remember that it might have been more organized, but not to the level of Fitch or Zhdanov.

A video lesson needs to be organized, because it's different from in-person lessons. In the latter, each week is a teaching unit that builds on what was taught before, and the progress your teacher sees in your playing, telling the teacher where to lead you next. A purchased video lesson contains "everything" you'll be doing, as you develop what you're playing, and you need to be able to refer to it, find your way back to this or that element, etc. There's nothing worse than watching a teacher introduce something - he's about to demonstrate, to eagerly watch his hands, which then go back to waving in the air as he says "On the other hand, this reminds me...." - it is fatiguing. Fitch and Zhdanov seem to have preplanned every gesture and each thing they teach.

Edit - I just noticed the title says "free". The teachers I mentioned also have free content. That said, the courses I purchased were quite inexpensive. I think a course on one piece by Zhdanov was EUR 5, which at today's exchange rate is $5.67 USD. A single lesson with a teacher costs a great deal more. These can also be like supplements.

Last edited by keystring; 01/21/22 02:00 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
mtb Offline
M
[video:

probably this is a little tangential to the topic, but I love the theme song to the HBO series”Succession” and so I’ve been on a hunt for tutorials for that song. I know it’s pop, but Asmosdoll’s channel seems to have a lot of tutorials.

I can’t resist adding the wonderful Vanity Fair showcase with the composer Nicholas Brittell

but: not a tutorial! ☺️

Last edited by mtb; 01/21/22 06:46 PM.

Mary

—————
Kawaii CA98; Roland GO:Piano (61-keys); Yamaha PSS-30
M
mtb Offline
M

something went wrong with the Amosdoll “Succession” tutorial, so trying again

Mary

—————
Kawaii CA98; Roland GO:Piano (61-keys); Yamaha PSS-30
Allysia on Pianotv have a whole course for FREE on how to play Chopin Waltz in a minor (op post hum). Abrsm level 3=4?, jumping left hand… Tips for each part and very structured. If you like her style you can buy lessons etc. She also have a free book on piano practice. (She really gets through the screen and talks a lot).

https://www.pianotv.net/2016/01/waltz-in-a-minor-by-chopin-simplified-piano-tutorial/

Last edited by Swede; 01/22/22 01:27 AM.

Piano primate amateur
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Btw, Shirley Kirsten should also be in the list.

She is! Second link I put in this thread. I love her musicality.

Originally Posted by keystring
Edit - I just noticed the title says "free". The teachers I mentioned also have free content. That said, the courses I purchased were quite inexpensive.

It is actually a good idea to buy courses on pieces. But I'll start with the free tutorials to see if those teachers teach in a way that appeals to me. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ping LarryShone, take a look at this thread!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
L
L

Last edited by lullablue; 02/03/22 09:12 AM.

my wonderful piano is a upright Blondel By Bechstein
this is my 5e year of piano playing.
In France smile
B
B
I recently stumbled over Tommy's Piano Corner
https://youtube.com/c/TommysPianoCorner
Here you can read about his background.
https://tommyspianocorner.com

Note that he is neither a professional pianist nor a teacher.
But from my amateurish prospective i think that he gives some really well thought out and researched tipps and tricks.
What i like especially are his tutorials on specific pieces.
Unlike most of the other YT teachers he doesn't limit himself (and his viewers) to mainly technical aspects of learning them.
He also gives a lot of insight into analysis of the pieces, shows how they are structured, their melody lines, etc.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
In another thread, someone mentioned Sally Christian. Nice to find yet another teacher with free online tutorials!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have recently come across this one, where the objective seems to be to teach piano teaching! I've only seen one of her videos, but it was somewhat useful for me.

Janna Williamson - YouTube

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I have recently come across this one, where the objective seems to be to teach piano teaching! I've only seen one of her videos, but it was somewhat useful for me.

Janna Williamson - YouTube
Very interesting - I never saw her before. Those are quite useful even for students. Thanks for that!

Q
Q
Paul Barton is good.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulBartonThailand/videos

I also second Graham Fitch.

B
B

B
B
Originally Posted by brennbaer
Ooops.... blush
My memory is full of holes like a swiss cheese.
I already mentioned him some weeks ago

P
P
If you don't speak the language offered in the tutorial you can translate subtitles to a your language shown in this quick video:

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great thread. Joseph at FlexLessons has a paid site but also a number of free youtube videos on beginner/intermediate pieces, many from the Masterworks Classics series.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexLessons for a list of videos.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by EP
Great thread. Joseph at FlexLessons has a paid site but also a number of free youtube videos on beginner/intermediate pieces, many from the Masterworks Classics series.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexLessons for a list of videos.

Hi EP
I looked at a few of his videos, and I’m not finding a tutorial, where he has guidance on how to play the music. What I found was videos of him playing. Did I miss something?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My apologies, I was a member of his site and I thought some of the tutorials were also on youtube, but perhaps what's on youtube is just shortened versions without the tutorial part.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by EP
My apologies, I was a member of his site and I thought some of the tutorials were also on youtube, but perhaps what's on youtube is just shortened versions without the tutorial part.

No problem! Thanks for letting us know

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PatG
If you don't speak the language offered in the tutorial you can translate subtitles to a your language shown in this quick video:

How accurate is Google Translate? In the past I've come across translations that are out of context and practically laughing out loud. 😄😄

Once I used Google T to turn a paragraph in Chinese to English. The Chinese phrase 打风 came up as "battle the wind". If you do a Google search on it, a number of links would come up and the common translation is: to be hit by a storm (typhoon in particular). If you translate the word 台风 into English you get typhoon & vice versa. It's a noun with just 1 meaning so translating either way is not a problem. When you have words that can be used in combination with other words to give different meanings, Google translate can be off.

Another example: "car park". The word car is understood to be a vehicle to get around but park can be used as a noun or a verb. GT might turn car park into "car garden" in another language.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,204
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission