2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (anamnesis, AaronSF, 36251, achoo42, astrotoy, adrian4444, AJB, 19 invisible), 762 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
What would we do without our piano-supportive spouses?

Well, you see that part of the patio where it's not quite as even as the rest?.....

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Woot woot, oh man the piano is getting dropped off Saturday morning! I needed to get a cleaning service to clean the house for Chinese New Year and before the piano gets here. I cant find anyone available by then so i have to spot clean the house after work tonight and tomorrow. Well worth it. I’m glad none of the holidays that I grew up with in Mexico involved deep cleaning, but then again we didn’t get red envelopes with $ either. But I digress, the point is Saturday = piano!

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Woot, woot 😸😸😸🎉🎉🎉

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, so excited for you!!!🤩🍾👏❤️

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

“There is in all times a secret union of kindred spirits. Bind closer the circle, that the truth of art may shine forever clearer, spreading joy and blessing through the world.” R. Schumann
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's fast!

There's nothing better than taking delivery of a grand piano!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Chinese New Year? Do I sense an impending performance of Chopsticks?

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Enjoy, enjoy!
Pictures of the piano delivery?

I wish I lived in a big enough place for house concerts (featuring someone else playing) on "Serena," my Estonia L168. I may have to move! Meanwhile I recently acquired a Kawai ES110 for late-night practice sessions.
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Maestro Lennie
Chinese New Year? Do I sense an impending performance of Chopsticks?

For sure, I'll play for however long they want to listen. Haha

Piano fledgling/neophyte

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Congratulations! Enjoy, enjoy!
Pictures of the piano delivery?

I'll post pics as soon as the piano is here on Saturday.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

M
M
A new, satin Kawai GL-40 for $20,500 in this market? Wowee. Congratulations!

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by MrSh4nkly
A new, satin Kawai GL-40 for $20,500 in this market? Wowee. Congratulations!

No, it was lower than that still. If anyone wants to know the price pm me. Yea, I couldn't pass the deal up.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

M
M
Originally Posted by drvenom
No, it was lower than that still.
Goodness gracious, that may be the deal of the year, and it's only January.

P
P
Make room for the Kawaii. You will never regret getting a 7 footer for that glorious bass. I learned that during my piano quest several years back. I had the room but was after that lovely bass anyway. It's always good to have a piano that makes you sound better than you really are. It's inspiring. You'll play more. Avoid anything very old. My tech recommends newer over older for maintenance any day. Those German pianos are out of your price range, but a good Japanese could be just the ticket. I would avoid the Korean and Chinese pianos. I ended up with a new Yamaha C7 that I love. There are a good number of them on the market. Go with your ears and hands. Read "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize. Enjoy the ride!

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by pvastola
Make room for the Kawaii. You will never regret getting a 7 footer for that glorious bass. I learned that during my piano quest several years back. I had the room but was after that lovely bass anyway. It's always good to have a piano that makes you sound better than you really are. It's inspiring. You'll play more. Avoid anything very old. My tech recommends newer over older for maintenance any day. Those German pianos are out of your price range, but a good Japanese could be just the ticket. I would avoid the Korean and Chinese pianos. I ended up with a new Yamaha C7 that I love. There are a good number of them on the market. Go with your ears and hands. Read "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize. Enjoy the ride!

Maybe in the future if I move to a larger house. But I think 6 feet is enough for now. I honestly don’t think I can outgrow this piano. I also wanted to save a little so that I can get a digital like a Roland lx708 or better. Maybe a novas 10, if the m3 action feels good on it.

Last edited by drvenom; 01/21/22 12:52 AM.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

P
P
well you sound like a younger family and maybe this won''t be your last piano like mine most likely is. My wife was every bit as supportive as yours. Congratulations on your new family member. Teach the kids to respect it and not eat or drink around it. Read Grand Obsession anyway... a fun read.

Online Content
Originally Posted by pvastola
Teach the kids to respect it and not eat or drink around it.

Regarding young children around acoustic pianos, I have tried to teach my grandchildren not to abuse my pianos. The two oldest have gone through that "fist pounding, elbow pounding keys and toy hitting the keys, stage", but my youngest two grandchildren are going through that stage now.

When they come over for a visit, they love to sit and play on the keys, and I let them. But when the fist pounding, elbow pounding and hitting the keys with a toy starts I have to scold them. I tell them, "if you break granddaddy's piano, next time you come over, you won't be able to play the piano because it will be broken".

My pianos have taken some hard licks on the keys with fists, elbows, and toys over the years, but no apparent damage so far. Fact is, they've taken a pretty hard pounding from me over the years. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I don't know why, but I had the free time and went to check out a used GX2 just a few minutes ago; one of the piano outlets called me that they had just received it and it was prepped and ready for playing. He said he had a few other people interested that were going to go check it out today. I thought he was lying but sure enough another gentleman got there as I was finishing up. I don't know why I went to check it out since I'm waiting on the delivery of the GL40. I guess I was curious to see how good the GX series sounds. Personally, I didn't hear that much difference to the GL40. The action did feel nicer, but like others have said that's probably just better prep work since they use the same action and the pianos are the same size. . Whatever the case, both pianos sound quite similar. I obviously couldn't play them back to back, but the GX2 didn't pop out at me making think, ahhhhh I need to get my money back and spend a few extra grand on this used GX piano. I'm glad I got to play some of the pianos in the next tier up: C2, G2, GX, Boston, etc. And as nice as they are, I'm happier that they didn't make much of a difference for me because it means extra cash in my pocket. I know ya'll keep repeating it on these forums but the secret sauce to buying pianos is just to play a whole bunch of pianos until you find something that you like within your budget.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

M
M
How does the GL-40 action compare to the GX-2, stiffer?

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D

The gx2 felt a little easier to play but I could just be splitting hairs here. The GL felt a tiny bit stiffer/sluggish. Perhaps the better way to put it is that the gx2 action felt a little more refined. Then again the gx is used and fully prepped while the gl40 was just tuned but the action was as it arrived from the factory. In terms of sound I don’t think one is better than the other, they are both a little different but nothing worth spending even $2k over. I know they say there’s better material on the gx2 and yada yada, but in terms of sound and touch they are very similar to me. I found a bigger difference between the gc2 and c2 and that difference was not much either.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

Online Content
Originally Posted by drvenom

The gx2 felt a little easier to play but I could just be splitting hairs here. The GL felt a tiny bit stiffer/sluggish. Perhaps the better way to put it is that the gx2 action felt a little more refined. Then again the gx is used and fully prepped while the gl40 was just tuned but the action was as it arrived from the factory. In terms of sound I don’t think one is better than the other, they are both a little different but nothing worth spending even $2k over. I know they say there’s better material on the gx2 and yada yada, but in terms of sound and touch they are very similar to me. I found a bigger difference between the gc2 and c2 and that difference was not much either.

You've certainly done a really good job of comparing, evaluating, contemplating, analyzing, debating, contrasting and coming to a firm conclusion/decision about buying your GL-40! A fantastic job, really.

In fact, I think sharing your experience here helped all of us more than we helped you! smile

Congratulations again!

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,159
Posts3,193,204
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission