2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (achoo42, anotherscott, Animisha, Adem, andrea monza, 20 invisible), 729 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all,

I have a Weinbach grand from ~1983, I've been told it's very similar to a Petrof IV from the same period. I don't have too much info on this, but I can say I quite like the sound. It's incredibly clear in the high register, especially when considering its price. I have to change my playing to get such clarity from a Yamaha of the same size.

It struck me as strange that the badge on the interior says "Förster" on it, when it obviously isn't an August Förster, and I have had it confirmed that it was built at the Petrof factory. It is also visually identical to a Petrof IV from the same period.

It's hard to find info on these instruments, so if anyone has any whatsoever, even anecdotal, I'm very curious about what you know!

M
M
I had one of these uprights at my high school. Typical communist era piano, not as bad as Calisia or Legnica, but nothing to rave about. I would call them very good for cheap instrument.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I believe at one time Petrof made August Forster pianos.These
are not the high quality August Forster pianos of today which are made in Germany.However if you like the tone and touch of the piano it may be worth checking out.As maucycy said these are communist era made pianos.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I bought my Weinbach (5' 10") new in 1971 and had the action rebuilt in 2005. It still has a beautiful sound, can still take the work and I wouldn't part with it. As with a Petrof, its action is on the heavy side but I like that. As I maintain my technique on a Virgil Practice Clavier a heavy touch doesn't matter.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Ted
I bought my Weinbach (5' 10") new in 1971 and had the action rebuilt in 2005. It still has a beautiful sound, can still take the work and I wouldn't part with it. As with a Petrof, its action is on the heavy side but I like that. As I maintain my technique on a Virgil Practice Clavier a heavy touch doesn't matter.

Turns out our pianos may be quite similar, mine is also 5'10".

I'm hoping to have my action checked out soon, some hammers are misaligned, and 2 keys are now sticking. I've used it quite heavily over the last year, so it makes sense. Haven't had it looked at in about 10 years, but I've found, through research, that the "Detoa" action is quite a pain to work with.

Did your tech have any glaring issues?

Thanks

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by monsieur souvlaki
Hello all,

I have a Weinbach grand from ~1983, I've been told it's very similar to a Petrof IV from the same period. I don't have too much info on this, but I can say I quite like the sound. It's incredibly clear in the high register, especially when considering its price. I have to change my playing to get such clarity from a Yamaha of the same size.

It struck me as strange that the badge on the interior says "Förster" on it, when it obviously isn't an August Förster, and I have had it confirmed that it was built at the Petrof factory. It is also visually identical to a Petrof IV from the same period.

It's hard to find info on these instruments, so if anyone has any whatsoever, even anecdotal, I'm very curious about what you know!

I can share my experiences with these instruments. I knew the Petrof and Weinbach in the early 1990's. They both still used the Detoa action at the time and were inconsistent in touch and tone. They left something to be desired, but with some diligent care by the right technician they could be very nice instruments.

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,827
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission