2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (Burkhard, achoo42, anotherscott, Animisha, Adem, andrea monza, 20 invisible), 720 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone,

As a continuation of my post on online teaching audio equipment, I was wondering if there’re any recommendations for a USB mic that I can use for both (which is important) talking and playing? Perhaps a USB mic with a built-in compressor? I tried Blue Yeti and it did not work for talking and playing. I use a grand piano. So either my talking was too soft while piano playing volume was fine, or the other way around. I would not want to purchase XLR mics with an additional USB audio interface. if the mic has a built-in stand, that would be a plus. For example, I have also tried the AKG Lyra. While the stand was good, it did not have a compressor so sometimes the audio clips.

Thanks.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I have this one and like the sound quality. You may need to experiment with positioning to capture both the piano sound and the voice well:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-MV88-Digital-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B08G7T3Q9S/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4o_qO6RgQCCl8AxjHQ5bvmlWuvjIP1Y_YgUwrnE3BVkYyC2o04fB10aApExEALw_wcB&hvadid=390259979926&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9011913&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11700080655022593084&hvtargid=kwd-625550069896&hydadcr=18881_9696004&keywords=shure%2Bmv88%2B&qid=1642689639&sr=8-5&th=1

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
M
M
I have friends and colleagues who are satisfied with the Yeti for speech and instruments, and I myself use a basic USB mic that was something like half the price. Have you tried looking into software settings, raising/lowering mic input volume, testing mic placement, etc.? I'm not that savvy about tech details but from what I understand, USB mics have the "audio interface" built into the hardware(?) and are just going to be less nuanced than the higher end options with separate interfaces. And do you mean "condenser" not "compressor"?

If you're using Zoom, one of the most basic troubleshooting steps is to set background noise suppression to low and disable "automatically adjust microphone volume". You do not want Zoom to register your music as "background noise" and try to filter it out, and if you are playing or saying something quiet intentionally, you do not want Zoom to automatically make you louder, only for the next louder thing you play or say to be clipped because it exceeds the expected input and then the mic adjusts again, etc.

T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for your reply. I actually meant "compressor" I am well aware that Zoom does not have the super high end audio settings. But let's say I am demonstrating a Rach prelude and the passage is marked ff. This is when a typical usb mic goes "wild". Students either hear the piano clipping, or can't hear my talking well enough. So that's why I asked if there's any usb mic with a built in compressor so the audio doesn't clip. I know Zoom F6 has this built-in but it is not a USB mic.
Originally Posted by mostlystrings
I have friends and colleagues who are satisfied with the Yeti for speech and instruments, and I myself use a basic USB mic that was something like half the price. Have you tried looking into software settings, raising/lowering mic input volume, testing mic placement, etc.? I'm not that savvy about tech details but from what I understand, USB mics have the "audio interface" built into the hardware(?) and are just going to be less nuanced than the higher end options with separate interfaces. And do you mean "condenser" not "compressor"?

If you're using Zoom, one of the most basic troubleshooting steps is to set background noise suppression to low and disable "automatically adjust microphone volume". You do not want Zoom to register your music as "background noise" and try to filter it out, and if you are playing or saying something quiet intentionally, you do not want Zoom to automatically make you louder, only for the next louder thing you play or say to be clipped because it exceeds the expected input and then the mic adjusts again, etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Tony - different angle:
I've been studying remotely for some years now. (I also taught theory remotely some years ago). If you're teaching remotely, you might change some of the teaching format, i.e. it doesn't have to be a poorish replica of in-person lessons. For example,
(a) create a recording of that Rach passage
(b) have your students create recordings of passages
You can have a joint Dropbox file, mutually accessed, for example. For recordings or short videos, you'll have more accurate listening.
In fact, if you know you'll be teaching that Rach passage, you could have it pre-recorded, during the lesson tell your student to listen to this clip (mute your mikes, both of you) - after listening (unmute) and discuss it.

Mike-wise, since I have a high end digital, the audio of my piano goes via cable into a mixer: a clip-on mike for my voice also goes into a mixer; only my voice goes into my room, but the teacher hears both my voice, and my piano. I don't know if there is a perfect solution.

Another idea
I interfaced with a fellow student in another country and we played each other's pianos. This was an interface where when you played your piano, the digital signals went to the other person's piano, and thus your student would hear your dynamics, on his piano. Among other things, it requires some sophistication at both ends. If your student barely knows how to plug in a computer and get on-line, it might be difficult to get a bunch of students managing that kind of system, one after the other.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The problem of "wide dynamic range" will be with you, whether you're using one mic, or two.

You might want to Google:

. . . compressor vs limiter piano

and see what the alternatives are.

Your best bet might be to turn down the mic gain manually, when you get into FF passages. Clumsy, but effective.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tony Lu
Hi everyone,

As a continuation of my post on online teaching audio equipment, I was wondering if there’re any recommendations for a USB mic that I can use for both (which is important) talking and playing? Perhaps a USB mic with a built-in compressor? I tried Blue Yeti and it did not work for talking and playing. I use a grand piano. So either my talking was too soft while piano playing volume was fine, or the other way around. I would not want to purchase XLR mics with an additional USB audio interface. if the mic has a built-in stand, that would be a plus. For example, I have also tried the AKG Lyra. While the stand was good, it did not have a compressor so sometimes the audio clips.

Thanks.

with the yeti; start where the piano was fine and voice was soft and move it a little closer to your mouth - repeat

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,827
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission