2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (achoo42, anotherscott, Animisha, Adem, andrea monza, 21 invisible), 722 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Hello everyone.

I'm 24 year old and have been playing Casio CTK-2400 (61-key, no touch sensitivity $80 keyboard) from the last 2-3 years and recently upgraded to Korg LP-380U (88-key, fully weighted $800 digital piano).

I learnt songs using Youtube synthesia videos and didn't develop Touch sensitivity nor do I know how to read sheet music. I wanted some advice regarding whether I should continue progressing the same way or should start with Alfred's Piano Book 1.

Just to give everyone an idea of my level, here are some songs that I know how to play well (with pedal but without touch sensitivity)

1. Canon in D
2. Nuvole Bianche (Ludovico Einaudi)
3. River Flows in You (Yiruma)
4. Fur Elise (without the advanced part)
5. Moonlight Sonata (first 2 mins)
6. He's a pirate (Pirates of the Caribbean)
7. Faded (Alan Walker)
8. Interstellar theme
9. Harry Potter theme
10. Nocturne in C Sharp Minor(no. 20) first 2 mins
11. Nocturne Op 9 no. 2 (easy version) first 2 mins

I have been practicing volume control between hands and trills (basically all the things that I couldn't do on my No touch sensitivity keyboard before).

So, what I'm trying to ask is that whether I should just keep on going and learn new songs in a similar fashion (from youtube synthesia videos) and develop the necessary piano skills along the way OR should I start learning using Alfred's Piano Book 1 (and learn to read sheet music) and start from ground up.

P.S. I'm a Software Engineer and playing Piano is a hobby that I love very much.

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R
R
Hello Ring Slinger,

I'm sure that more senior people will join in the conversation, but my gut feeling on reading your message is that you very much enjoy playing the piano, and want to make better progress – therefore you would be well-advised to learn from the ground up with reading and proper technique (that doesn't show in a very nuanced way on YouTube videos).

You will probably find that even the pieces you already know just get better when you go back over them once you've started learning to read music more systematically… But of course, I would also say, if you want to learn as best as you can from the ground up, why not have a teacher? The reason I took lessons with an excellent teacher from the start is because I'm hoping that a few years down the line, I'm not one of those players who can more or less play a few popular tunes without any real finesse… It's easy to not stretch yourself or fall into bad technique when you just jump from YT video to YT video, I find.

But that's only my own, very personal impression. I read between your lines that you already know what you want to do though!

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Ring Slinger!

Originally Posted by Ring Slinger
playing Piano is a hobby that I love very much

That is the same for me! Playing the piano is wonderful.

Originally Posted by Ring Slinger
So, what I'm trying to ask is that whether I should just keep on going and learn new songs in a similar fashion (from youtube synthesia videos) and develop the necessary piano skills along the way OR should I start learning using Alfred's Piano Book 1 (and learn to read sheet music) and start from ground up.

I don't think that you will develop the necessary piano skills by learning from youtube synthesia videos. Yes, I think it would be very good to start from ground up. As a software engineer, it should not be too hard for you to find a free website that teaches you how to read music. It is not complicated. However, what is much more difficult, is learning piano technique. For that, I would recommend you a teacher - one that you visit, or a skype teacher, or a video teacher. But someone who can show you how to play.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks a lot for the advice RosemaryGirl.

I totally agree that it's pretty easy to develop a bad technique by hopping between YT videos and that one needs a good teacher for developing a good technique. smile

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you so much for the advice Animisha.

I will definitely try to find a good teacher now that I have a proper digital piano.
Eagerly awaiting what others have to say.

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Just to echo Animisha, feedback is very important. You don’t know what you don’t know, and it’s important to have someone who can point these things out. Also as a beginner, it’s important to have someone who can guide you through. When is it best to move on to a new piece? When do you need to continue to work on a piece because you haven’t gotten the things out of it that will be beneficial for future pieces? And reading music will open many more doors for you.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Sgisela
Just to echo Animisha, feedback is very important. You don’t know what you don’t know, and it’s important to have someone who can point these things out. Also as a beginner, it’s important to have someone who can guide you through. When is it best to move on to a new piece? When do you need to continue to work on a piece because you haven’t gotten the things out of it that will be beneficial for future pieces? And reading music will open many more doors for you.

+1.

You may have a lot to un-learn. Software engineering only needs a mental skillset. Playing piano is partly mental, partly physical. only

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My suggestion would be to figure out quite specifically, what it is that you want to achieve. We may all more or less casually say that we want to learn to play the piano better, but this may actually mean very different things to different people. For example, wanting to become so skilled that you could play concertos with an orchestra is a rather different aim than wanting simply to sit at home enjoying the music that comes out from under your fingers. Learning to play Liszt is different from learning to play Fats Waller. Being able to play anything from sheet music is unlike being able to play from memory. Etc.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You will be much happier if you learn to read music - it will open up a world of possibilities to you. I have a good friend who is a natural musician. He plays wonderfully by ear - blues, original compositions, boogie woogie. He does not read music or use videos - he can come up with his own version, in his own style, simply by hearing something. If you don't have the ability to do that (and few of us do), then reading music is your gateway to the fascinating world of piano music.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I will echo what others said. Getting a teacher to build the basics is the way to go.

Synthesia will set you back in the long term as you will only learn to copy hand movements without really understanding the underlying musical structures and rhythm. It's like learning to recite a speech in a foreign language you don't understand. Or, since you're a software engineer, like copy-pasting code you don't understand. wink

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I will echo what other posters have said. You need to figure out what your goals are at the piano. Do you want to study on your own, are you ok with a teacher, do you want to play by ear, do you want to read music, what styles do you want to play, etc.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
At the bare minimum I would suggest learning to read music. You need to know your way around the music page and it’s not too difficult to learn.

M
mtb Offline
M
I’m responding as a new beginner, so won’t be much help but I’ve decided to focus on fundamentals (reading music, ear training, etc.); however, many wonderful pianists can play just by ear. Surprisingly, even Paul McCartney can’t read music, so it is clearly a good path for some!

On the other hand, what is the real upside? Music literacy— and reading music— will open a wonderful world and allow you to learn more quickly.

A teacher is the best route for nearly everyone.

No other approach will help you as much with everything from posture, safe practice re: hands and warm-ups, and of course, musicality (dynamics, color, etc.), as well as get you to where you are going as quickly as possible, at whatever level you are playing.

That said, the apps and software have really improved and some are really wonderful and, in some ways, serving as terrific supplements to in-person lessons and even stand-alone resources. They cost money for annual or monthly memberships (sorry!), but I have found them very useful.

The “instant feedback” on timing is especially helpful for this new beginner.

Here are two options you may want to look into:

1/ Piano Marvel

You likely know this already but one of the most popular choices is Piano Marvel— there’s an active thread here— and it includes method, technique, and sight-reading paths, as well as a full library (including the Alfred All-In-One-Books, the BachScholar “Sight Reading and Harmony”, Hanon, and other learning resources, along with songs). I am a member to have access to those resources.

2/ Playground Sessions

That said, I didn’t love the PM user interface and started with Quincy Jones’ “Playground Sessions”. I’ve completed the 93 rookie lessons, some sight-reading and scales courses, just started on the intermediate lessons and have enjoyed the path so far. I don’t think many people here use PGS but it’s just the right fit for me.

Both have active Facebook communities and a group of users that are amazingly friendly, helpful, and engaged.

Good luck with your practice— and your new digital piano! A lot of fun is ahead!

Last edited by mtb; 01/20/22 02:36 PM.

Mary

—————
Kawaii CA98; Roland GO:Piano (61-keys); Yamaha PSS-30
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I started without a teacher and learned a few intermediate Classical pieces on my own. After a few years I got a teacher and started learning pieces from Jazz & Blues book along with easy Classical pieces.

In my school days I learned violin so reading the treble clef and learning the bass was not an issue. Reading a new piece and playing at full speed is a challenge. Most people would spend a few days or weeks learning the notes and then a few more days to get the piece up to speed. There is a learning curve for each piece. It'd take years and daily practice to be able to read well.

Here is a recent video from Robert Estrin on practice tips:

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
So happy to hear you discover the joy of piano.

Echoing a few points:

1. Playing by ear or video game concept is great, but it limits you ultimately.
2. Many great artists, jazz, pop for eg all started life learning classical and yes, learnt music theory up to a point
3. Getting into good habits is kinda essential imho. A teacher is worth investing in

I started self teaching via Alfred. It gets you so far, and I was making a lot of mistakes that I didn’t realize I was making…it’s one thing to understand the ‘theory’, but whole other game to play it.

No one approach fits all. Learning to play piano ismt like guitar hero. Learning to read music is something many electric guitarists regret they never invested time in…whilst you are young….invest some time in reading music..you probably won’t regret it.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks a lot everyone for your opinions and advice.

After reading all the comments, I definitely feel that learning to read music will be very rewarding and that if one's basics are strong, then the road ahead is full of possibilities. I will keep posting about my progress and talk to this wonderful community.

P.S. @QuasiUnaFantasia At the moment my inclination is towards "sit at home enjoying the music that comes out from under your fingers". But who knows what the future has to offer. Maybe 10 years down the line I feel it changing but that's a different story smile

Aspiring decent Pianist
Software Engineer
Korg LP-380U
Garritan CFX

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,827
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission