2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (anotherscott, Animisha, Burkhard, brennbaer, brdwyguy, achoo42, 23 invisible), 733 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
And here's why.

I LOVE THIS GUY'S STYLE SO MUCH.

Saw him live at least a dozen times.

Even more OMG than this live - never seen or heard anything like it before or since.

One of fav all time pianists/composers.

But I'll pass on being his tuner - good lord.

Any comments from a tuner/tech perspective on Cecil?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I tuned for him a couple of times, and did not tune for him once.

The first time was Father's Day, and I wanted to have dinner with my family, but I had to be there in case he wanted the piano tuned. I got to the venue, Grace Cathedral, and Cecil was practicing. He practiced incessantly! So I waited, and waited. Finally, it was time for services to begin, so he had to stop. His road manager dared to ask him whether he needed the piano tuned. He said he did not, so I went home. (It did need tuning, however. Not all artists are picky.)

The next time was a large piece with an orchestra. The piano, a CFIII, was brought in early so he could practice. I thought his practicing would break some strings. But somehow, it lasted through his practicing. Day of the show, he wants two more pianos. No can do, but there is another piano at the venue (not Grace), so I tune that, and there are two other pianists to play that one. The concertmaster was an old customer, whom I had known for a long time. They had music notated somehow, and I asked my friend how he figured out what was wanted. He said that you just got used to it after a while.

Two sets. We were sort of amused by the first set. There were some broken strings on the CFIII, which sort of irritated me. I just pulled them off. It would be too difficult to replace them at the time. No one would notice that they were not there.

Another friend of mine who was in the audience said that a Cecil Taylor concert was an event. Some of the audience got it; others, it seems not.

The last concert was supposed to be a solo concert, and as before, I was to get there early to tune for his practice. But he decided instead to nap in his hotel room. But his bassist showed up, and he began to practice. While I was tuning. From about five feet away. At one point I had to remind him that I was tuning. He recognized that, moved another five feet away, and continued practicing! Oh, well.

During the concert I just decided to absorb the event. I sat back and let the sound wash over me. Vaguely, I could recognize that there was a great, arching structure to his playing.

He was playing from notes. I was curious about what they looked like, so I went out ostensibly to check on the piano to see what the notes looked like, but he had taken them to his dressing room. I will never know.

Semipro Tech
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BDB

The first time was Father's Day, and I wanted to have dinner with my family, but I had to be there in case he wanted the piano tuned. I got to the venue, Grace Cathedral, and Cecil was practicing. He practiced incessantly! So I waited, and waited. Finally, it was time for services to begin, so he had to stop. His road manager dared to ask him whether he needed the piano tuned. He said he did not, so I went home. (It did need tuning, however. Not all artists are picky.)

The next time was a large piece with an orchestra. The piano, a CFIII, was brought in early so he could practice. I thought his practicing would break some strings. But somehow, it lasted through his practicing. Day of the show, he wants two more pianos. No can do, but there is another piano at the venue (not Grace), so I tune that, and there are two other pianists to play that one. The concertmaster was an old customer, whom I had known for a long time. They had music notated somehow, and I asked my friend how he figured out what was wanted. He said that you just got used to it after a while.

Two sets. We were sort of amused by the first set. There were some broken strings on the CFIII, which sort of irritated me. I just pulled them off. It would be too difficult to replace them at the time. No one would notice that they were not there.

Another friend of mine who was in the audience said that a Cecil Taylor concert was an event. Some of the audience got it; others, it seems not.

The last concert was supposed to be a solo concert, and as before, I was to get there early to tune for his practice. But he decided instead to nap in his hotel room. But his bassist showed up, and he began to practice. While I was tuning. From about five feet away. At one point I had to remind him that I was tuning. He recognized that, moved another five feet away, and continued practicing! Oh, well.

During the concert I just decided to absorb the event. I sat back and let the sound wash over me. Vaguely, I could recognize that there was a great, arching structure to his playing.

He was playing from notes. I was curious about what they looked like, so I went out ostensibly to check on the piano to see what the notes looked like, but he had taken them to his dressing room. I will never know.

Finally, *I* get to read uber-cool stories!!!

YAY!!!

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

Thanks for sharing another cool anecdote, BDB! thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Thanks for sharing another cool anecdote, BDB! thumb

OMG I apologize for the unintentionally insulting slight and quite inelegant phrasing.

I meant (really) *new stories*, freshly posted here, and not the (undoubtedly) many many many cool stories and acedotes that have been posted here by hundreds of people over many many years.

*pulls paper bag over head and walks into a wall as punishment*

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,847
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission