2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (anotherscott, brennbaer, brdwyguy, achoo42, Animisha, Adem, 22 invisible), 722 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3185924 01/17/22 11:01 AM
OP Offline
Hi, everyone! Hope all is well where you are. I purchased a Kawai Digital Piano, CA-93, in 2010, new and since then have enjoyed it... However a few things "annoy" me (and have since 2010)...

1) The Sound, for me, sounds a little "dull" in the middle register, and I'm not sure how to adjust it using the Virtual Technician. I prefer a slightly brighter/clear tone of a Yamaha... Sometimes, I really like the sound of the CA-93, and other times, it's just okay.

2) The Wooden Action - is good, but feels "squishy" (notice this more when the volume is not as high), and adjusting the action from "normal" to "heavy" (for me) doesn't help, it just mutes the sound more, and I have to press down the keys much harder and the sound is compromised (from being "muted").

Overall, it's a fine digital, and at the time of purchase, was the flagship of the CA series. Are the new digitals from Kawai (CA-99) a much better instrument in regards to action and sound? What improvements have been made? Should I consider a Yamaha digital?? I can save up my $$, but I don't want to spend more than the digital is worth, since it would depreciate in value. I am also a piano teacher, and would use this instrument to teach (preschool - intermediate level students) as well as for my personal enjoyment.

S
Online Content
S
I've found this image that's very helpful for showing the difference between the RM3 action that your CA-93 used and the Grand Feel lineup:

[Linked Image]

Note - shown is the Grand Feel 2, but the Grand Feel 3 should be the same length. I think they only changed the sliptape & screw mechnism to something more robust and left the rest mostly unchanged.

As far as 'squishy' goes - I do not know what exactly you mean when you use it in this context. As seen in the picture, the pivot is significantly further back on new models, which should help the feel. If you mean the dampening at the bottom of the stroke - I'd assume that it's the same type of felt they use in acoustic pianos. It looks unchanged in the picture.

Honestly, there's probably no substitute for you finding a store and trying out a few models.
(And this is from hypocritical me, who watched a bunch of videos and ordered online because the local stores are out of stock and out of demo units.)

Kawai CA79
OP Offline
Thanks, steamrick! I appreciate the reply & photo. I asked a piano salesman, who sold me the 93, and who sells the new ones now, if he liked the newer model's action. He said my action was very good, and personally, he wouldn't upgrade as the newer action, on the CA 99 was lighter. By, "squishy", I mean spongy at the bottom of the keybed. I prefer a good acoustic action, but for space & sound, need a digital.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello 88ivories,

There have been numerous improvements made to the keboard action and sound technologies of digital pianos (across all of the brands) since the CA93.

As steamrick notes, it's strongly recommended to visit a few piano dealers to play-test the latest models from Yamaha, Roland, of course Kawai. I think you will be pleasant surprised by the superior sound and firmer action of the CA99 compared to your current instrument.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello 88ivories,

There have been numerous improvements made to the keboard action and sound technologies of digital pianos (across all of the brands) since the CA93.

As steamrick notes, it's strongly recommended to visit a few piano dealers to play-test the latest models from Yamaha, Roland, of course Kawai. I think you will be pleasant surprised by the superior sound and firmer action of the CA99 compared to your current instrument.

Best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Money depending, Kawai and Yamaha also produce hybrid digital pianos ---well worth a try if you're at a store.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,827
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission