2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (36251, accordeur, 80k, An Old Square, anotherscott, 13bwl, 30 invisible), 1,021 guests, and 463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I guess plenty has been already said about this little beast from the East, but it's a tad quiet here of late due to absent friends who might well drift back soon, hopefully.
I change my DP every two ot three years; piano playing is a cheap hobby, and I don't smoke. Having a small room, a large piano isn't on, nor really, is a large digital.
Having tried out several such in the stores over the years, including acoustics, I found myself drawn to that halfway house, Pianoteq. And it took some getting used to; speakers project this much better than headphones imo. But I only use crappy headphones so what do I expect?
Now, my digital piano list reads like the best-of-the-bottom-of-the-pile-over-the-passing-years sort of thing, but I never found the top enders very inspiring, and being naturally mean has it's own advantages.
Pianoteq fitted seamlessly into all my digitals anyway, and sounded ok playing through those it could.
Except the Roland FP50. Nothing sounded good throught those speakers, but if you've known nothing else, they'd be ok.
My granddaughters have known nothing else.

The ES110 replaced my Yamaha P515. Ageing hands had dictated the move initially; even the action of the DGX I had years before was a strain, and I despaired of finding anything much better.
Anyway, the P515 fealt nice, looked good and, yes. I bought it.
Time dictates change; sometimes change must come, the same old same old has to go. I didn't care for the new Yamaha voices; too digitised, too clear, too . . . perfect, clinical and definitely too much syrup in the mix.
It wasn't a difficult board to shift.

Enter the ES110. Not a good looker; keyboard a little noisier than that of the P, but . . .oh so much lighter! Keyboard, that is.
No hesitation in buying it. I didn't buy it for the voices, and when it arrived, undamaged, and played it, well; not great; hphones or speakers, so I settle down with the old favourite, Pianoteq.
After some time I had a re-look at kawai's little 'un; fiddled with some settings and found a decent enough sound. Brought down my little sound-system from the loft; connected and Way hey! Super dynamic Big Piano!
The beast came to life! I have three different settings which is enough.
I no longer use Pianoteq.

But I wonder now if I could stand the sound of an acoustic . . .
Happy days!
Keep well guys!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Interesting. Can you give more details about your 'little sound system from the loft'?

Kawai ES920, ES8(with engineer)
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stevedoz
Interesting. Can you give more details about your 'little sound system from the loft'?

A couple of Behringer Ultrabass practice amps and old Gale bookshelf speakers. I also have a pair of bigger Sonys which I don't need to connect. 15W per channel. It's quite sufficient and lies contentedly by my right foot like an obedient dog.
I've never had an obedient dog, so I'm not speaking from experience here. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
S
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by stevedoz

A couple of Behringer Ultrabass practice amps and old Gale bookshelf speakers. I also have a pair of bigger Sonys which I don't need to connect. 15W per channel. It's quite sufficient and lies contentedly by my right foot like an obedient dog.
I've never had an obedient dog, so I'm not speaking from experience here. . . .

LOL nice one... Cheers

Kawai ES920, ES8(with engineer)
L
L
Peter, I'm glad that you are still enjoying your Kawai ES110. You have had a succession of fairly low-end digitals over the years and got a lot out of them!

I know that your opinion of Yamaha's DGX series influenced my purchase of one when I returned to the piano four years ago after forty years away. And I'm still glad that I bought it, though I upgraded to an acoustic grand a couple of years later.

I hope that beginners to the piano (not that Peter and I are either) learn from this experience. It is not important what you buy, as long as it is a weighted-key piano from one of the reputable manufacturers: Casio, Kawai, Roland and Yamaha. Debating nuance on this forum in simply pointless!

It is far more critical that a beginner sets aside a portion of his or her budget (half? two-thirds?) to learn how to play the instrument. This could be through books, online apps or in-person teaching. And puts in the time to practice, at least an hour a day. Learning to play is not easy, but is certainly fun and rewarding.

The Kawai ES110, Roland FP30 and Yamaha P-125 are fine weighted-key pianos that will not hamper a beginner's progress for 3-5 years, at least. In a few years, you will not be a beginner and can decide how you want to upgrade: a better digital, a hybrid, or an acoustic? Or you can decide, like Peter, that the simplest Kawai is still the best for you!

And if you find learning to play is an endless struggle and decide that it is not for you, a $500 keyboard will be far easier to resell than a $3000 console, due to its price and portability. No harm in moving on to something better suited to your skills and interests.

Thanks, Peter, for offering your refreshing point of view over the years!
All the best,
Lotus

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Old Dog Hoping To Learn New Tricks
by BrumBrum - 01/16/22 04:28 PM
Wm. Knabe
by gebohmusic - 01/16/22 03:45 PM
Charles Walter 1500 or Kawai K300?
by Gustavor90 - 01/16/22 03:19 PM
Charles R Walter 1500 Mint Condition
by Gustavor90 - 01/16/22 01:37 PM
Buying from out of state
by Wasabi Coated - 01/16/22 12:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,162
Posts3,161,217
Members104,033
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission