2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Alex C, Dariusz D, axomas, CraiginNZ, Damien PG, Andrew E., Ciferz, butchkoch, Catlady, BlackKnight, 8 invisible), 812 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hello everyone,
I'm Emily. I recently started college and wanted to pick up playing the piano as a hobby.
What piece of advice would you give me as a beginner? and What brand of digital piano should I buy?
Thanks in advance!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Emily, and welcome to the board.

The most important advice is surely: Get a teacher with whom you can connect.

About brands of digital pianos you will certainly get lots of diverging advice here... I'd say: Stick to the main brands (Yamaha, Kawai, Roland), and get the best you can (and want to) afford. Talk it over with your teacher before you buy.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Emily121
What brand of digital piano should I buy?

Yamaha, Kawai, Roland, Korg, Casio and Dexibell perhaps are the ones that people typically "take seriously" here. Then of course there are various models from each and people may have their favourites and pet peeves regarding those, but for an absolute beginner any should be fine.

For example Kawai doesn't really have any "bad" models, I'd think. Even the cheapest ones are quite good and they haven't cut the corners too much.

There are some others like Williams, Kurzweil, Donner and other less known and less "prestigious" names and the products may not be of a similar quality. (Kurzweil is a "prestigious" brand but they have the fancy stuff and the cheap not-so-great stuff, so it really depends on the exact model.)

For example this YouTube channel has reviewed some of the cheap models from less known brands: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePianoforever/about

(And as usual people have varying opinions on him as a reviewer, but at least he's not selling any of them and should be unbiased in that sense.)

Stuart at Merriam Music does good review videos of the "prestigious" brands: https://www.youtube.com/c/MerriamPianos/videos

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
A good teacher is priceless.

Yamaha / Roland / Kawai / Casio -- any "digital piano" (88 keys, "weighted action") from those makers will be OK. Some have cabinets, others are "slab pianos" which have built-in loudspeakers, but need a separate stand. The trade-offs are complicated, and depend on your living situation and budget.

Don't obsess about "which piano to buy". It's a tool for learning to play. As you learn, your needs, and tastes, may change. Your first piano may not be your last piano.

Have fun, and enjoy the journey --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Don't obsess about "which piano to buy". It's a tool for learning to play. As you learn, your needs, and tastes, may change. Your first piano may not be your last piano.

That is sound advice... I know by experience. It is impossible to know, when you begin, what will perfectly fit you in some years, so don't lose too much time trying to find out the ideal instrument when you are really unaware of plenty of things which will come with experience.

Good luck on your musical journey!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
M
M
Be Patient ...
Find someone you like and can teach you, a beginnner.
Most of us have a favorite brand. Ask 25 folks, you might end up with 25 models and brands.
Establish a budget - Let's be generous and say $2000.
As you ask about, you may find there are quite few used ones out there. Like so many who start out, in a fe months it is a dust collector and you can get a 'new' piano for a used price.
Touch, feel, are so important.
A weighted keyboard is better than springs.
Kawai and Yamaha are big here. You may consider asking Kawai James of your selection.
Oh, choose on ethat is easier to move.

Here is an older Kawai that you might find - Possibly $800-1250 or so would be a fair price. I had one. True wooden keys. Good sound engine.

And a Yamaha that is under a $1000 new. Good sound. Inexpensive. Plastic tuckunder weighted keys. Yamaha DGX670WH

Between these two, you should notice a difference in the keyboard and the sound. But as you can see, either will give good results if, you practice and do not blame the piano,

Oh. And, if you too in time have a dust collector, you would be able to sell wither of these (and others like them) fairly easily.

Have fun ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
E
OP Offline
E
I have a friend, who is willing to teach me a few beginning lessons. I would have to get a professional teacher eventually, ig!
Btw are online courses worth the try?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
If your college offers it, you might sign up for a keyboard class. You can often find them as part of the music program or at a community college.

This should give you access to some pianos also.

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by Emily121
I have a friend, who is willing to teach me a few beginning lessons. I would have to get a professional teacher eventually, ig!
Btw are online courses worth the try?

For me, yes, one in particular. I watched a lot of YouTube videos, learned a lot, and kept going back to and searching for ones by one company, Pianote. Their stuff is kind of different because the app or website do not listen to what you're playing or connect to the MIDI output to "see" what you're playing. They're a series of short, 7-to-15 minute videos, that give a lot of information (but not too much for me) and each short video lesson has things to practice a bit before moving on. For me, they work well.

Pianote tries to be a community, has their own forums, people from many countries, and even have online holiday parties. Their Christmas party was fun for me. They also do online recitals (voluntary) where users can encourage each other.

While most apps have a 7-day trial Pianote will give you a full month via: https://www.pianote.com/affiliate-trial

I do use a few other apps that connect to the MIDI output (or can listen to an acoustic) to practice sight reading.

Me? I do not care for the "gameified" learning systems and I don't particularly care for the ones that focus on finger numbers. Finger numbers did help me but not for long and kept me from learning to read music, something I'd never learned previously.

As usual, the correct answer is "It depends" and in this case it depends on you. Try some out and see if they help you or not. That's all that matters.

Good luck,

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,776
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission