2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, Brus, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, Alex C, ChickenBrother, 11 invisible), 609 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I have an old Kawai CA67 in addition to my Bluthner grand. I dont know if the Roland has an internal amp of the same level as the Kawai. But I had no issue driving any kind of headphone with the internal amp of the Kawai.

I used a number of headphones. Currently I use the AKG Q701, Sennheiser HD 650 (with Cardas cable) and the Beyer DT Pro 990 Edition 250 Ohms (I also used the AKG 240 Mk II, Senn HD 599 and HD 598 and a few others). All of these works just fine with the Kawai with more than enough volume.

I use them also directly on my fixed PC (internal amp) and my tablet Samsung. The volume is good enough for most cases, the Sennheiser being the easiest to drive.

Of course all of these headphones deliver a much better result with a good external amp. I use an old Musical Fidelity X Can V3 class A tubed amp into my BAT tubed preamp (I am rarely going more than 1/3 of the amp power). The quality is a notch higher but for the piano usage, the Kawai internal amp is more than enough.

The 3 headphones are fairly comfortable to wear, the AKG Q701 being the most comfortable for me. If needed long hours wont create any issue. In terms of sound the Sennheiser has more bass and is more balanced than the others. The AKG has a clearer and smoother sparkling treble and less bass. The Beyer is in between with an emphasis on the mids. It is a question of preference for the type of sound you like.

For the DP I tend to prefer the AKG because they are more comfy and have a lighter sound which is less tiring over long hours. In my HiFi system I usually prefer the Senn for its more full bodied sound or the Beyer when I want to put emphasis on the voices.

Blüthner model 6
P
P
For the last decade there has usually been a question regarding headphones for digital pianos on this forum.

Hundreds and hundreds of opinions.

But, I don’t recall anyone saying that ultra expensive headphones or headphone amps are going to ‘transform’ the playing experience for digital pianos. This is surprising.

I mean usually in any discussion of headphones online there will be folks declaring the absolute necessity for electrostatics, or the latest $5k planars. But not here.

If someone out there disagrees, then please chime in.

But I’m guessing that once you get to a certain level of headphone quality (I use AKG K701s) that going any farther up the headphone ladder probably won’t get a significant improvement in DP sound.

I do think that there are plenty of opportunities for improvement by using good quality plug-ins for EQ, reverb, stereo width, dynamic range, etc. And we should share our experiences with those.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
. . .
But I’m guessing that once you get to a certain level of headphone quality (I use AKG K701s) that going any farther up the headphone ladder probably won’t get a significant improvement in DP sound.

. . .

+1.

I'd also ask a slightly different question:

. . . Why is this group different from any other group ?

Here's my tongue-in-cheek answer:

This group almost all plays on digital instruments. And for those instruments, the "original sound" isn't sound at all:

. . . it's an audio signal on a wire, and it's gone through digitization somewhere along the line.

You can't hear it. To hear it, you must use a transducer, and we know from experience that every transducer is imperfect.

So _our_ headphones don't have to reproduce the _soul_ of the signal -- because it doesn't have one. A reasonably accurate reproduction of the analog (or digital) signal is all we can ask.

On the other hand, a 50-year-old, vinyl reproduction of a tape-recorded session by Glenn Gould -- _that_ has _soul_, and you need much more expensive gear to bring it out.<G>

PS -- I'm not bashing the hi-fi community's search for the "ultimate sound" -- perfection is worth pursuing. But as PianoMan51 says, sometimes that community loses touch with the notion of "good enough".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
K
K
@ Charles - yep agree - also I say this about my playing too - to my ears 'good enough' he he = maybe not the rest of my enduring family lol

OldSoul Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for the advice you gave me, before proceeding with the purchase, I decided to read up on everything. I therefore postpone the shopping until I am sure which product is right for me. Thanks again and have a nice weekend

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
A mysterious and irritating phenomena..
by Rallent - 05/16/22 11:14 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,110
Posts3,192,143
Members105,292
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission