2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (Anglagard44, alexii, DebraK, Bruce In Philly, brennbaer, anotherscott, BMKE, arlie, 15 invisible), 721 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello! I'm trying to teach a friend of mine piano and also up my skills. I started using the Czerny book but noticed all the exercises are mostly in C Major. Does anyone know a good beginner, intermediate and advance skills building exercises book that aren't all in C Major mostly?
Any really good skills building books would be a great help!
Right now we are both just playing pieces to keep our skills up.
What skills piano book do you recommend that most helped you?

Zander

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ernö Dohnanyi's "Essential Finger Exercises." It's available at IMSLP:

Dohnanyi's Essential Finger Exercises

These exercises are great for learning finger independence but some may be too advanced for an absolute beginner.

August Förster 215
P
P
Regarding Czerny exercises in C major, I think the idea is to transpose them.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
Ernö Dohnanyi's "Essential Finger Exercises." It's available at IMSLP:

Dohnanyi's Essential Finger Exercises

These exercises are great for learning finger independence but some may be too advanced for an absolute beginner.

... and they are literally "finger exercises;" as helpful as they may be in the development of finger independence, there is no music in them.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
C major is most difficult. After you master C major other keys will seem easier.

Many exercises could be easily transposed. I find playing Hanon transposed to other keys an excellent thing.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
C major is most difficult. After you master C major other keys will seem easier.

Many exercises could be easily transposed. I find playing Hanon transposed to other keys an excellent thing.

Transposing Hanon sounds fun. I might try that doing #1 in in G or F. I imagine when you have more than one sharp or flat fingering gets tricky?

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Sebs

Transposing Hanon sounds fun. I might try that doing #1 in in G or F. I imagine when you have more than one sharp or flat fingering gets tricky?

The fingering stays the same in all keys, that's the point.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

The fingering stays the same and that's what's tricky. Playing these exercises in, say, D-flat major but with C-major fingering is not so easy.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R

That doesn't make sense imo. Why would you teach a beginner how to play 12345 on the first five notes of the C# major scale when they would almost never do that in practice? You need to learn when to cross over with the 2,3 or 4, and so on, concepts much more important for playing in black key signatures. A Bach prelude would make much more sense as I see it, even if you have to play with one hand at a time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit

That doesn't make sense imo. Why would you teach a beginner how to play 12345 on the first five notes of the C# major scale when they would almost never do that in practice?
Who said this is a beginner exercise? It certainly isn't one.

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S

That doesn't make sense imo. Why would you teach a beginner how to play 12345 on the first five notes of the C# major scale when they would almost never do that in practice? You need to learn when to cross over with the 2,3 or 4, and so on, concepts much more important for playing in black key signatures. A Bach prelude would make much 5sense as I see it, even if you have to play with one hand at a time.

It is not an exercice for beginners. But Iaroslav is correct. You keep the same fingering as with C major one. In fact it is a fairly common exercice to play all the scales also with the C major fingering in addition to the standard one. There are a few reasons for doing this. The first one is that in real music you do have to be able to play a scale in a different fingering than the standard one, so it is good to get used to play scales differently. It also helps to develop finger independance. When playing the Hanon exercices or a scale with the C major fingering, you get into some inconvenient or unusual finger positions. That is actually helpful to develop both finger dexterity and resistance.

Blüthner model 6
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I've read that at one time in one the major Russian conservatories, doing Hanon exercises in all keys (I'm assuming major keys) was a requirement that came up in testing. One of the examiners on the exam panel would simply give an exercise number and a key, and the pupil was expected to be able to play it, and at a pretty high speed.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Sidokar

That doesn't make sense imo. Why would you teach a beginner how to play 12345 on the first five notes of the C# major scale when they would almost never do that in practice? You need to learn when to cross over with the 2,3 or 4, and so on, concepts much more important for playing in black key signatures. A Bach prelude would make much 5sense as I see it, even if you have to play with one hand at a time.

It is not an exercice for beginners. But Iaroslav is correct. You keep the same fingering as with C major one. In fact it is a fairly common exercice to play all the scales also with the C major fingering in addition to the standard one. There are a few reasons for doing this. The first one is that in real music you do have to be able to play a scale in a different fingering than the standard one, so it is good to get used to play scales differently. It also helps to develop finger independance. When playing the Hanon exercices or a scale with the C major fingering, you get into some inconvenient or unusual finger positions. That is actually helpful to develop both finger dexterity and resistance.

Right. And talking about scales with unusual fingerings I'd also like to mention the chromatic scale with fingerings 243 and especially 345. It's a miraculous exercise for weak fingers, I had never understood how undeveloped and clumsy my 5th finger really was before doing this exercise.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

That doesn't make sense imo. Why would you teach a beginner how to play 12345 on the first five notes of the C# major scale when they would almost never do that in practice? You need to learn when to cross over with the 2,3 or 4, and so on, concepts much more important for playing in black key signatures. A Bach prelude would make much more sense as I see it, even if you have to play with one hand at a time.

One of the main points of practicing fingerings like that, where the thumb plays black keys, is to learn to move hand forward to the closing lid and backward when playing. Make a keyboard three-dimensional, so to say.

You're right that it's not for beginners.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,191
Posts3,193,862
Members105,345
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission