2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (Baltguy, Burkhard, claburo, BillS728, Animisha, anamnesis, 21 invisible), 993 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3181560 01/01/22 06:55 AM
D
OP Offline
D
What is the biggest problem begginers have with dynamics?
People have told me that my way of depressing the keys are smooth. I have heard non-pianist, ie people who did take lessons but quit, play and they play louder than me. Sometimes I wonder if the way I play is with less force than how others play.
Do beginners often use too much force and play too loud?
I try to use gravity when playing. I don't have to use that much force, I think.
What are your experiences?

we need boogie woogie and Mozart. We need Mozart playing boogie woogie.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
K
Hi Dan,

For DP players, usually the issue is playing at too lower volume to begin with. It maybe that we make too many mistakes etc. but the result is hammering the keys way too hard which results in no range of dynamics. This habit continues until something breaks or no progress.

My two pennies worth is make sure even as a real beginner, one plays at the correct volume and learn to control the fingers and movement properly. All will be good and mistakes should be heard.

I do hope this helps all

Happy new year to all key ticklers the world over smile

Andy

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The biggest issue with dynamics is that of control.

A piano key takes around 2 ounces of force to depress. It needs a certain minimum speed to make the hammer reach the string for the softest sound and there's a maximum speed the hammer will reach in practise where any noticeable increase in volume will need an exponential increase in velocity and where there will be great difficulty in softening the bedding of the key after that, leaving a harsh sound.

A young child can develop enough velocity to reach a good forte. We don't need strength. What we need to do is control the velocity between the softest piano and the loudest forte - and velocity is all we have. Depending on the muscular control developed before taking up piano it may take a few years to pick and choose the velocity generated at each finger (using the whole anatomy).

With a good ear and careful listening we can learn to control the dynamics better and have better phrasing.

At high volumes the difference in dynamics is barely audible but at low volumes small differences in velocity are more easily heard. Playing louder makes it is easier for beginners to to sound even. To continue to sound good when playing softly we need much finer control. We need to listen more critically to develop that control. It takes time.

Killomiter makes a good point. Students who predominantly use an acoustic piano will have a much greater dynamic range to make use of and the higher sound level will encourage softer playing. Digital users often resort to using the volume control but that usually works against them. Digitals should be set to as loud a volume as possible without distortion, I know of no digitals that surpass the dynamic levels of a small upright, and the pianist needs to learn to control that range using technique.

If your digital has the facility it is worth setting the dynamic touch every now and then to make playing softer much harder and use the other extreme to develop bravura playing. The lighter touch setting is automatic for acoustic users who just have to raise the dampers. Digital players need to use the dynamic settings more often and get experience of acoustic pianos as often as possible.

Richard
D
OP Offline
D
I have notoced that pianissimo is the most difficult dymanic to play.
A good forte ain't easy but most people can play it.

we need boogie woogie and Mozart. We need Mozart playing boogie woogie.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dantheboogieguy
What is the biggest problem begginers have with dynamics?
The first problem beginners have is producing an even tone throughout a phrase so that no note sticks out and there are no ghost notes.

The second problem is bringing out the melody and playing the accompaniment softer.

The third problem (which even advanced pianists have) is not hearing what you want to sound like in your head and not listening to yourself while playing.

Master these three and you'll be on your way to becoming an good pianist.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have notoced that pianissimo is the most difficult dymanic to play.
A good forte ain't easy but most people can play it.
For single notes yes, but very often forte passages are not single notes but chords with many notes and what's difficult about that is playing the melody note (usually the top) more forte than the other notes.

S
S
Two major challenges for beginners, one is to play full resonance, ff, with arm weight; the other one is to play quietly, pp.
There are practicing strategies, however, best learned through a piano teacher on a good piano.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I don't know what the biggest challengers are for beginners (or non beginners) in terms of dynamics but like everything else in piano it's a question of aiming for gradual improvement. By far the best way to learn the technique for dynamic control is with the help of a good teacher. Many PW threads have shown that mastering pp or ppp dynamics is a problem even for quite advanced pianists.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While I have always been a proponent of a good teacher (for me), having a teacher is not practical for everyone. There are some excellent tutorials on playing loud and soft if you don’t have a teacher. A few ideas are linked here.

Graham Fitch

be

Josh Wright on playing softly

Paul Barton on playing quietly

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Robert Estrin

Last edited by dogperson; 01/01/22 02:21 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Online Content
And even a slight change in a piano's regulation can make it much easier to play softly. I can't even remember what my piano guy did a long time ago, but although my piano was within spec, he may a slight and quick adjustment that made it much easier to play softly.

A
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
what my piano guy did

Closer letoff.

The more attuned a piano owner is to the nuances of the piano they play everyday, especially when attempting maximum softness, the more noticeable even tiny sudden improvements to letoff become.

One of the most "bang for the buck" things in any techs arsenal.

Last edited by An Old Square; 01/01/22 04:02 PM.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I try to use gravity when playing.
I think you are on the right track. I was taught that the most important thing for a beginner is to learn to produce sound which is at the same time full and soft. This is exactly what utilizing gravity (arm weight) is good for, it allows us to play at the same time loudly and softly. It happens when you immerse your arm into the keyboard while your wrists is working as a shock absorber softening the key attack. Just don't forget that you need to feel the bottom of the keybed after each keystroke and feel your arm standing on the finger. Not reaching the bottom of the keybed will produce sound at the same time soft and quiet, which is considered detrimental for beginner's technique.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,111
Posts3,192,222
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission