2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Andrew E., accordeur, computerpro3, Adem, Baltguy, 15 invisible), 691 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3181336 12/31/21 07:22 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Good morning / afternoon / evening

Sorry to pose such a stupid question, but Im finding buying a new DP confusing for many reasons.

One point I would like to clarify is in relation to power in Watts.

As an example, on the Yamaha CLP 775:

42W+50W+50 multiplied by 2 = 284 Watts.

Is the correct?

So the Yamaha CLP 745:

50W+50W multiplied by 2 = 200 Watts

etc...etc...etc..

Rav

Yamaha CLP 775 Polished Ebony
Kawai CA99 Premium Rosewood
J
J
Yep! In the reviews they generally state totals, whereas Yamaha specs always have the details and not the totals.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@Ravanelli, The totals are mainly marketing show-off, and are totally uninteresting to you as a player.

Also, the wattage doesn't tell you much about the *quality* of the sound you're getting. There are many factors at play there that are way more important than the wattage alone, not the least and not the easiest being your own tastes and preferences.

So, although that wattage shouldn't be too low (and 50W per channel for a main (often the low/mid) speaker is plenty enough in most personal use cases), it is impossible to choose your piano on that specification.

Do go and play, do listen carefully, and even consider how a piano in a store will sound rather different than once it has been placed in your favorite spot at home.

Hope this helps!

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

P
P
2x (50+42) = 184

So the clp745 and clp775 are essentially the same in terms of wattage.

But since the speakers are different size and the sound would be split depending on frequency, it’s probably better to consider it as 2 x 50 watt speakers which as already mentioned is plenty.

I think comparing similar style pianos within a manufacturer, wattage might be a usable spec.

I would be wary about comparing across manufacturers.

And placement can have quite an influence on the perceived loudness of a speaker.

And some thing that is rarely touched on here is how a piano sounds to someone listening and not playing can be differrent.

FP-90x, PX-330
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m not an audiophile, but the expression of power in watts for digital pianos is sorely lacking in detail: is it 50 watts, peak or continuous? Full frequency range or just at 1kHz? And how does that translate to actual SPL at the speakers? (And then, how is that measured?) and on and on…

All it means to me is a somewhat relative gauge of potential loudness for models within one particular brand.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Picking up from some of the other comments here about how hard it is to compare, especially across different brands, is that wattage tells you almost nothing if you don't know the efficiency of the speakers. Even if measured the same way (which is already a big caveat right there), 25 watts into one speaker can be louder than 50 or even 100 watts into another, if that speaker is sufficiently more efficient.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I had an FP50 which had a respectable amount of wattage for a slab. But the output was totally lacking in bass; and the elliptical speakers were pretty bad.
The preceding DGX650 was by comparison far superior. With 6W per channel.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
I think one of the above said that today they speak of peak power as a show off and I would be inclined to agree.
The old way was to use RMS of output, the rest being of no practical use. It depends on the resistance, if you read the 1.5 million threads on here about headphones, they all talk about the input impedance, this important as the user is interested in the output volume i.e. resistance of independent micro speakers. This should give a clue ...

I remember years ago working in a recording studio and in the mixing room were some Bose studio monitors that sounded rather tasty, on chatting about them the engineer spoke about them needing over 200 watts just to get the cones moving lol. They were nice but wow massive amount of power to drive them.

Also in my Marshal Stacks there is the option of 4 or 8 ohm (depending on plugging in method) to the cabinets to allowing larger volumes if this is your goal.

Acoustic Piano's are loud but not that loud, but surely the main object is to emulate the projection of a normally aspirated piano?
Most of the time and me included play (DP's) too low a volume which only ends up harming playing the instrument with finesse resulting in premature failure of keys and bad playing progress. CA 79 rules and at the correct output volume is more than enough to match an Acoustic.

T
T
What boggles my mind is how can they advertise that the digital piano has 250 watts for example, but the power adapter it plugs into is only 60 watts lol?

Yamaha CLP-795 / Ordered 6 Sep 2021, Arrived 4 Nov 2021
Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
One way to manage that, and be more-or-less honest:

. . . The power adapter will handle 60 watts,

. . . the amp will handle 250 watts "peak power" (however that's computed)

. . . there's a _really big_ capacitor across the DC output of the power adapter,
. . . to handle that "peak power" on the rare occasions it's called for.

There's a lot of difference, also, in what you need for organ playing (where the amps and speakers may be called on for "peak power" for as long as the player holds down a key), and piano playing (where the peak-to-average ratio is fairly high, and "peak power" is never needed for long).

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
One way to manage that, and be more-or-less honest:

. . . The power adapter will handle 60 watts,

. . . there's a _really big_ capacitor across the DC output of the power adapter,

There's a lot of difference, also, in what you need for organ playing (where the amps and speakers may be called on for "peak power" for as long as the player holds down a key), and piano playing (where the peak-to-average ratio is fairly high, and "peak power" is never needed for long).

This has got interesting all of a sudden. Time for some testing, guys! Who'll be first?

"[Linked Image]"
R
OP Offline
R
I am grateful for the detailed replies....

I am just interested in the manufactures specs when they say:

50w + 50w + 50w x2 which makes a total of 300w......

So the above example of the amp is 300w

If it was described:

30w + 30w the total is 60w (so its not doubled as in my OP example and the one in this post....

Rav

Yamaha CLP 775 Polished Ebony
Kawai CA99 Premium Rosewood
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
[Linked Image]

there was the IHF vs RMS power. Then the PMPO happened. The IHF was supposed to indicate the capacity of the amplifier to handle peaks. Unfortunately, the marketing department (that one that torture the figures to tell whatever they want) made those figure totally pointless, especially the PMPO (they state a small boom box has 3000 PMPO - which in portuguese we say is "potência musical para otários", or "musical power for suckers")

One simply cannot trust these numbers mean ANYTHING these days, no matter what the source (Yamaha or otherwise). Keep in mind that to hear a sound twice as loud the power must be increased tenfold.

Another thing that is not told nowadays is the distortion at the rated power, and when it is, it is around 10% (harmonic distortion), meaning they are pushing the amplifier to its limits. Long long ago... they used to measure and disclose the intermodulation distortion. The harmonic distortion (less than 1% for the good amplifiers - the manufacturers didn't push it then - IOW they were less dishonest) added some color to the sound. The intermodulation distortion had to do with non-linearities and thus it added non related harmonics and made the sound unpleasant. Nowadays they do not bother measuring it, I think (maybe they still do with the high quality, very expensive hi-fi stuff).

Speakers will also produce distortion at high power. And the structure of the sound source (speakers or DP) as well the stuff on the room may vibrate, making all those Watts being of no use even ir they were real.

So, as Charles pointed out, most of the time the effective power is a maybe around a Watt, on occasion (e.g., when a bass enters or, in the case of the DP, a fff chord.) the power may rise significantly the peak power, if the amplifier can handle it.

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Last edited by EVC2017; 01/02/22 07:34 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
There are two types of power measurement useful to a listener, or a radio operator transmitting - 'Continuous Average Power' and 'Peak Envelope Power'.

In spite of the multitude of articles on 'RMS' Power which assume a pure sine wave and is based on the square root of 2, it has no useful physical meaning for a complex waveform. It it the result of a mathematical formula and only equates to CAP when measuring Direct Current or a pure 50% duty Square Wave, neither of which produces a lovely musical sound.

The problem arises because voltage and current are not in phase in a speaker. They are in phase if measured across a purely resistive impedance (one with no reactive component).

PEP is very useful since it measures the instantaneous 'power' of a waveform and is useful for determining the 'overhead' of an amplifier, i.e., how much reserve does it have to faithfully reproduce a drum kick or a gong smash.

The plug rating of an amplifier shouldn't be confused with the average power or peak power rating. A one million watt radar pulse emitted by my airplane lasting one microsecond only has an average power rating of one watt.

And of course, non of this has any meaning unless speaker efficiency is considered.

Last edited by prout; 01/02/22 10:21 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by TexasBear
What boggles my mind is how can they advertise that the digital piano has 250 watts for example, but the power adapter it plugs into is only 60 watts lol?
Power adapters are not specified in wattages, but I think you mean the rated power consumption of the piano is 60 watts. The answer is probably that amplifiers' power consumption is not generally rated at the maximum they can consume, but rather an estimate of "typical" power consumption (which, to reference a different aspect of the conversation here, is neither peak nor continuous). A common standard for that determination of an amplifier's power consumption is based on what's needed to deliver merely 1/8th the maximum (unclipped) power at 1 kHz. See: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/receiver-back-panel-power-ratings

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Power adapters are not specified in wattages, but I think you mean the rated power consumption of the piano is 60 watts. The answer is probably that amplifiers' power consumption is not generally rated at the maximum they can consume, but rather an estimate of "typical" power consumption (which, to reference a different aspect of the conversation here, is neither peak nor continuous). A common standard for that determination of an amplifier's power consumption is based on what's needed to deliver merely 1/8th the maximum (unclipped) power at 1 kHz. See: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/receiver-back-panel-power-ratings

So with a smaller rated instrument, one would be reasonably expected to run at nearer the maximum capability of the smaller amplifier set up. Therefore the rated power adaptor might be lower, but not by that much . . .

"[Linked Image]"
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by anotherscott

So with a smaller rated instrument, one would be reasonably expected to run at nearer the maximum capability of the smaller amplifier set up. Therefore the rated power adaptor might be lower, but not by that much . . .
I'm not following that, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to by the phrases "smaller rated instrument" or "smaller amplifier set up" or "rated power adaptor might be lower." Whenever you use the word "smaller" or "lower" in those phrases, what's missing for me is exactly what it is you're measuring.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I am guessing here, but I assume that manufacturers are required by safety standards to provide a number, either watts, VA, or amperes that can be used to determine the maximum safe load for a given branch circuit from the CB panel. This number, for an incandescent light, would be continuous, for an electrical stove, not so much.

Using a rated power is unlikely to predict how loud your DP will sound. That's why Acoustic Piano dealers are smart and don't provide a rated power for their pianos.

P
P
Power adapters are not specified in wattages

I would say they almost certainly are.

For example my 90 watt 24 volt 3.75 amp Roland fp-90x power supply, printed right on the label.

Sometimes you only see voltage and amperage which of course multiplied together is wattage.

FP-90x, PX-330
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Purdy
Power adapters are not specified in wattages

I would say they almost certainly are.

For example my 90 watt 24 volt 3.75 amp Roland fp-90x power supply, printed right on the label.

Sometimes you only see voltage and amperage which of course multiplied together is wattage.
Interesting, I've never seen wattage specified on the power adapters, though yes, of course, you can calculate it. There is still an important distinction, though, that on a power adapter, such a figure would tell you the maximum it it is rated to supply, whereas the power consumption figure on a keyboard would tell you what it typically draws.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Good Ear Wanted--Lip-Synching
?

by J Joe Townley - 05/22/22 01:03 PM
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,179
Posts3,193,602
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission