2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (AJB, 8ude, Aachen, anamnesis, 36251, axomas, Animisha, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 950 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
I'm still considering making the effort of switching my VPC1 for one of these, since I recently got a cash offer.

I know it's not that great an upgrade, considering where I'm at in terms of learning, knowing that what I really need is an acoustic. But still.

I've been told and have heard about these models' ailments and I'm doubtful of whether I should pass on them.

Are Celvianos incidentally better due to this? I read the keys become slippery, I'm looking at the 310 model.

Thanks!

N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by Usheraname
I've been told and have heard about these models' ailments and I'm doubtful of whether I should pass on them.

Before buying a CA99 I read every post in the CA79/99 Owners thread. I found nothing of concern. There are a lot of people unhappy that a feature does not work the way they think it should but that is not a defect; it's an opinion.

Were there genuine defects? Sure. These things are shipped across oceans and then by trucks. Are there any genuine widespread defects? Not that I read of or that I have found on mine. I am extremely happy with my CA99.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by NXR
Originally Posted by Usheraname

Before buying a CA99 I read every post in the CA79/99 Owners thread. I found nothing of concern. There are a lot of people unhappy that a feature does not work the way they think it should but that is not a defect; it's an opinion.

Were there genuine defects? Sure. These things are shipped across oceans and then by trucks. Are there any genuine widespread defects? Not that I read of or that I have found on mine. I am extremely happy with my CA99.

Ray

There're videos making the rounds about a little plastic sheet at the end of each key, glued in such way that temperature variation over time might lead to it peeling off and sticking to the part it hits when you press it. Dubbed sticky keys. Happens after a couple years apparently. Never heard of it?

J
J
I’ve had my CA79 for 18 months and couldn’t be happier with it.

Yes, the touch screen and user interface isn’t cutting edge but I’m still as impressed with it now as I was when I first played it 🙂

John

Kawai CA79
Tog Offline
Hi Usheraname

The 'Slip Tape' issue does not affect the current generation of the Grand Feel III action since it is a complete re-design without utilising slip tape in the first place (see Kawai's websites for exact details); so the CA59, 79 & 99 are entirely unaffected (but not the preceding models that utilised the Grand Feel I & II actions). That being said all mechanical components wear eventually requiring maintenance and the more sophisticated the mechanism the more regular the maintenance necessary; ask any acoustic piano tuner!

As the owner of an MP11SE which uses the original Grand Feel I action I have had to have the slip tapes renewed under Kawai's warranty and this was undertaken in my home, here in the UK, without charge. My own view is that this may again be necessary in another 4 to 5 years and I'd expect the cost of 3 to 4 hours labour plus parts, travel and tax to be circa £300 at current prices, which is what a service to a good mechanical watch costs, and is simply a cost ownership (which is very little in contrast to the proper tuning and regulation of an acoustic instrument). Of course your perspective and priorities may well be different!

However, the impression created that digital pianos, as with most things in life, will last indefinitely without any maintenance is simply marketing hyperbole.

Hope that this helps clarify matters a little.

Kind regards,

Tog

Standard: Absolute beginner. Currently butchering Bach BWV846!
Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60
K
K
NXR simply has too much money to burn hence the CA99 (sorry NXR but could not resist) -

I have a CA 79 and can assure you that even Chippendale veneered surfaces on furniture lasting a very long time!
On the other hand relating to your other thread on power - I wore out a Yamaha Clavi 205 and they had solid plastic keys nicely weighted but literally wore out through me playing at too lower volume and bashing the keys like a neandertol (speling) also the way the keys were manufactured.
DF111 action is like a rocking action and wood with veneers, no one makes keys with Ivory tops any more and they were stuck on with cow hoof glue (same as Chippendale) so your concerns about the way the babies are made is a tad wayward. Kawai use the same method as in their acoustic pianos and I believe the same plastics.
In conclusion buying a CA 99 if your are wealthy or a CA 79 if you are like me, too miserly to spend more, both play the same and get the shiny ebony version of either as they look a ton better. I don't mean to sound harsh but I wish advisors were more direct with me in the past.

N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by Killomiter
NXR simply has too much money to burn hence the CA99 (sorry NXR but could not resist) ...

In conclusion buying a CA 99 if your are wealthy or a CA 79 if you are like me, too miserly to spend more, both play the same and get the shiny ebony version of either as they look a ton better. I don't mean to sound harsh but I wish advisors were more direct with me in the past.

Haha, not exactly. I was looking for a CA79 in Rosewood but could not find one. Then a store I called said they sold the CA79 but just got a CA99 in. I told them there was no way I could afford a CA99. The person paused, said he'd be right back, and when he came back to the phone he offered me the CA99 for $4,500 US including tax.

I about fell over because I was expecting to pay a bit more for a CA79. The delivery was a lot because they were hundreds of miles away and the CA99 comes fully assembled, unlike a CA79, but I'm still happy with the deal. This thing likely will outlast me.

I agree, I wanted ebony also but could not find one.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
K
K
AAAAHHHH Ray sounds like you had a very good deal with you CA then. I got one of the first 4 in coming to the uk so paid full price, luckily one was the EB version and I could not resist. It was a few days before our first lockdown so the price was worth it to have a year ahead of time. I kind of realised we are not supposed to be off topic or be too jokey on here so I was not sure just how my response would be taken.

I agree with most of the good points about the CA series and for anyone looking to purchase you can only really make your own mind up by playing (sorry everyone says this but it is true) as we are all different etc.
I call the touch panel my screw up panel as any time i change stuff it detracts and added nothing to the sounds. The best part is that we can control the sound for the room rather than making the instrument something it is not.
Happy playing guy's and gals - (or will I get a ban for this too???)

C
C
Have you played both Ca79 and ca99? Just wondering how the sound was on both. I know the action is the same but would love to know if you found the soundboard on the 99 worth having? Also, any favourite lookswise?

K
K
@Cutec - the owners club thread has a bit on this read MWF he just asked the question re the ca99 - basically all is the same save the wood soundboard on the back of the CA99. This on paper is an uplift but one has to bear in mind the position in the room the instrument is being used. I believe that most find either not placing the CA99 right against a wall or open to the room as the particularly the bass is affected. It is much easier on the CA79 as there is no sound output directly facing the back. I played both in a showroom environment and to me and my cloth ears there was absolutely no difference in sound and found that the extra other bits were something I would not really use. Either way you go just depends on your circumstances and pocket.
I do hope this helps

Andy

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,826
Posts3,205,802
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission