2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
22 members (Ek81, Jo Martins, Alex C, Greta99, Damien PG, HZPiano, Kawai James, 3 invisible), 523 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I was looking at this:

2020 HUION KAMVAS 22 Plus Graphics ...essure Tilt Adjustable Stand - 21.5inch

It's kind of spendy, but it's pretty, large, and it seems like it might work with the USB-A out from the piano (for piano controls), and the USB-C from my Note (for sheet music).

Any thoughts? Does anyone know a good app for Android phone that does sheet music well?

Obviously, I need to do a bit more research, but it would be nice to get in the ballpark, so to speak.

CA99 and loving it.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
How would you use the USB-A for piano controls?

Looks like an interesting option, especially if you already have a Note with USB-C video and DeX support.

On Android, I haven't seen anything that is better than Mobile Sheets Pro. It's extremely full featured, has native pen support for annotations, cloud backup/sync and also supports pedals/keyboard for page turns.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
N
N
isn't it too big ? I get you want both sheets displayed at once, but I know that, personally, I would not buy a 22" LCD to display sheet music.
I would get a much cheaper (big) tablet to display one sheet at a time, and if I'd spend $500 I would get a e-ink one (Onyx Boox Max or equivalent).
of course that's just me, and I'm sure your solution works perfectly well.

Last edited by Nigo; 12/30/21 05:14 AM.
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
How would you use the USB-A for piano controls?

Looks like an interesting option, especially if you already have a Note with USB-C video and DeX support.

On Android, I haven't seen anything that is better than Mobile Sheets Pro. It's extremely full featured, has native pen support for annotations, cloud backup/sync and also supports pedals/keyboard for page turns.

The CA99 has USB-A out, and its little video screen is supposed to be able to port to a large tablet. However, I am not sure with this one. They call it a "tablet", but it's looking like it's really a monitor. It doesn't have its own OS. I'll have to see if it will still work.

Yep, my Note (actually Note 10+) has 1080p (the native resolution of the tablet) available, and it's switchable very easily.

Unfortunately, I believe Mobile Sheets Pro is only for tablets and not phones. So I'm doubtful I could run it on my Note. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Originally Posted by Nigo
isn't it too big ? I get you want both sheets displayed at once, but I know that, personally, I would not buy a 22" LCD to display sheet music.
Personally, I have never encountered a situation at work or at home when my computer monitor was too big. I use my living room 60-inch TV as my computer monitor, and I'm trying to get a 4k 4-way 42-inch monitor for my office. For me, bigger is always better.

CA99 and loving it.
N
OP Offline
N
I would get a much cheaper (big) tablet to display one sheet at a time, and if I'd spend $500 I would get a e-ink one (Onyx Boox Max or equivalent).

Hmmm...I've never even heard of e-ink until your post. Interesting. Is the main appeal that it's low-power? I'm not sure that is an issue in my living room. My piano already has to be plugged in, so I'm not sure if this is worth not being able to use it for other things (I assume it's just a black and white screen).

CA99 and loving it.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by nofearengineer

Hmmm...I've never even heard of e-ink until your post. Interesting. Is the main appeal that it's low-power? I'm not sure that is an issue in my living room. My piano already has to be plugged in, so I'm not sure if this is worth not being able to use it for other things (I assume it's just a black and white screen).

eInk is a completely different screen technology than that used on regular displays. It is not backlit like regular displays and so, it is easier on the eyes as it is not beaming light into the eyes.

Here is an article on how it works:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-e-ink-2740879

The Kindle readers are all eInk displays. eInk panels are much lighter than regular displays. I’ve read many books on my Kindle. The device is so light that I can hold it over my head with one hand and turn pages using dedicated buttons.

The refresh rate of eInk displays is much slower than with standard displays.

One advantage is that eInk displays look much more like paper than standard screens, and the device consumes very little power, so you don’t have to charge the device as often.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
By the way, there is a thread on here where I mention the GVIDO solution for sheet music. It uses two 13” eInk displays. Sadly, it looks like they’re shutting down.

Last edited by LarryK; 12/30/21 11:27 AM.
N
N
NO, the main appeal if that's it's NOT a LCD screen, and it doesn't throw any light at you. Reading on e-ink without backlight is exactly like reading paper.
try to read a ebook on any Kindle (or equivalent) and on a tablet and you'll know what I mean
now, I know that many use standard tablets nowadays and it certainly have its advantages

Last edited by Nigo; 12/30/21 12:24 PM.
N
OP Offline
N
Honestly, I have never seen one of these screens with my own eyes. I need to get out more lol (too busy working while looking at LCD screens I suspect!).

The thing that concerns me though is not being able to use it for work as well if it's just black and white. Having a Note, I've started using it for taking notes and meeting minutes, but I'm finding it's just too small and using the stylus slow.

CA99 and loving it.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
The CA99 has USB-A out, and its little video screen is supposed to be able to port to a large tablet. However, I am not sure with this one. They call it a "tablet", but it's looking like it's really a monitor. It doesn't have its own OS. I'll have to see if it will still work.

If you're saying you think the CA99 will output the video from its control screen to a larger display via USB-A, I'm 99% sure that isn't how it works. I do believe Kawai has a control app available for this generation of device, but my guess is that it connects via Bluetooth (likely BLE using BT MIDI) and transmits commands to the piano wirelessly?

Unfortunately, I believe Mobile Sheets Pro is only for tablets and not phones. So I'm doubtful I could run it on my Note. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Mobilesheets runs on any Android device. It certainly doesn't LOOK good on a phone and all the text and UI is crammed and unusable, but it works fine, including for display of sheet music and page turns. On Android, the UI formatting is largely controlled by DPI, so if you run it in DeX mode, it should look and work fine on a large display.

Here's Mobile Sheets on my Pixel 6 (phone) - controls are compressed and not easily usable but it's fine sized up for sheet music display.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And on my Samsung Tablet in DeX mode (tablet) - notice it goes to landscape in DeX, where you can set it to show two sheets side by side.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe the best thing about Mobile Sheets Pro is that it's nearly infinitely customizable. It's a true "Windows mindset" kind of app, I feel like it's made by a developer musician for a developer musician. Want to change the background color? You can do that. Auto-crop all pages or per-page? You can do that too. Multiple file locations? Supports that. Font size? Color, pedal, mouse click, CPU wake behavior? There are settings for all of those. It even has built in set-lists, metronome, video player, multi-device display and orchestra/conductor controls. You can even change between calling them "songs" or "pieces" laugh

Through Mobile Sheets, I have my music synced across 2 tablets and 3 phones, including a ChromeOS device permanently seated at my DP. I can make annotations to music and add new pieces on any device, and it syncs over the cloud (no subscription required) to all my other devices. So if I bring a spare tablet or my phone to another piano, my music is right there. Great for convenience and ensuring multiple levels of backup/redundancy.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
A
A
Unfortunately, I believe Mobile Sheets Pro is only for tablets and not phones. So I'm doubtful I could run it on my Note. If anyone knows differently, please let me know

I run it on an android tablet, a fairly new Samsung. I'll get more details later when I'm home.

If you have any doubts why not try the free version and try it.

I also used to use Orpheus until it became subscription based recently and then I uninstalled it.

Last edited by AndyOnThePiano; 12/30/21 12:47 PM.

I'd be a far better pianist if I spent the time I'm on this forum playing my piano instead.
N
OP Offline
N
If you're saying you think the CA99 will output the video from its control screen to a larger display via USB-A, I'm 99% sure that isn't how it works. I do believe Kawai has a control app available for this generation of device, but my guess is that it connects via Bluetooth (likely BLE using BT MIDI) and transmits commands to the piano wirelessly?

Upon a careful re-read of the owner's manual, I think you're right. "Piano Remote" is Kawai's app. But yes, I would still like to be able to control the piano from a touch screen tablet. I don't think the e-ink tablets will do that? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Mobilesheets runs on any Android device.

I might have been looking at a previous version...or the web page was misleading, or just plain wrong.

Through Mobile Sheets, I have my music synced across 2 tablets and 3 phones, including a ChromeOS device permanently seated at my DP. I can make annotations to music and add new pieces on any device, and it syncs over the cloud (no subscription required) to all my other devices. So if I bring a spare tablet or my phone to another piano, my music is right there. Great for convenience and ensuring multiple levels of backup/redundancy.

Sounds crazy, but kind of confirms that whatever I dream up, it can be accomplished. Thank you.

CA99 and loving it.
P
P
I’m a great supporter of digitizing music scores. I can bring my 8 ounce iPad to a gig and have thousands of lead sheets available. This is wonderful. Emancipating. I’ve used this for the last ten years.

But this is not without its problems. It takes a shitload of work to make this happen. Yes, I said “s&&&load”! Do you want to spend the next year getting your library into your tablet?

So, there may come a time when all the old compositions (that have passed their ownership due dates) are easily available in digital form and organized as a library. At that time it may become advantageous to change from paper to silicon. But I haven’t found this worthwhile in my home. Where it is still easier to go to my paper library, pull out a book, and play it.

Yes, this is definitely an old fart comment! Lol.

N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by PianoMan51
Do you want to spend the next year getting your library into your tablet?

Luckily, I don't have much of a library yet hehe.

CA99 and loving it.
K
K
I use a samsung tablet and got a few score readers free and they all work via bluetooth both for page turn and reading. But if you go that way you cannot use the remote app at the same time

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,762
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission