2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Pianoteq's NY Steinway D has been my go-to piano this year, so I'm happy to have finally recorded something with it:

I enjoy the sense of being able to create something musically unique and musically pleasing with Pianoteq. It feels amazingly satisfying to play and enhances my sense of musicality.

On the other hand, as I was putting the finishing touches on this, I worried about what the negative feedback would be on the tone. It's not worth recording with Pianoteq if it doesn't sound good. This tends to not be a concern in general circles but primarily on the piano forums... it still matters. laugh

In the hands of a true master, you get a remarkable illusion like this:

My performance was captured on a Raspberry Pi 400 running the 64-bit OS. That's not the magic. The magic is: Press the On switch and you're good to go. The Pianoteq is a dedicated piano module, completely silent, and essentially invisible, as a computer should be. Just play the piano.

Pianoteq is controlled directly from the Novus using a method similar to the N1X's native control interface -- press a key on the piano. I can also control it from an iPad. Modartt just shipped a JSON-RPC API for Pianoteq that opens up wondrous possibilities for new interfaces.

Per the Phil Best method, I generally use a player perspective with no reverb other than the room's and then I replay it back with Modartt's settings for an audience perspective. Pianoteq's built-in MIDI recorder is a killer feature and it's surprising not many VIs have copied this.

I got some mixed feedback for my previous Pianoteq recording... curious if the new one changes any opinions?

Does my personal NY Steinway D sound good yet? laugh

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Very good to see you're back navindra! We missed you.

Your performance sounds good to me. It is fun to see you learn more and more and get better.

After your example, I installed Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi 400 for my mother who is 80 and not very technical. I thought this might work better than a standard laptop because a 'normal' computer will always require some maintenance. The Raspberry has been running flawlessly for the last 10 months. Like you say, just a button to switch it on and a button to switch it off. That's it. Always works, never had any problem. Many thanks again!

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Very good to see you're back navindra! We missed you.

Your performance sounds good to me. It is fun to see you learn more and more and get better.

After your example, I installed Pianoteq on a Raspberry Pi 400 for my mother who is 80 and not very technical. I thought this might work better than a standard laptop because a 'normal' computer will always require some maintenance. The Raspberry has been running flawlessly for the last 10 months. Like you say, just a button to switch it on and a button to switch it off. That's it. Always works, never had any problem. Many thanks again!

Thank you pianogabe, and, wow, that is really great to hear! I totally agree about the laptop... I could not be happy with that either. Before Pianoteq, I started with Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and it has been running forever with no intervention. It's a magical thing when a computer becomes just an appliance that always works.

O
O
Hi,

Navindra : good NY Steinway Recording and playing.

In pianoteq i don't like the limiter at - 12 db in most default presets with main volume at 0dB (To high...). i prefer modify the main Volume at -9dB and set limiter at -3, or set the volume at -12 dB and Disable limiter. (And after process the Piano track at -16 LUFS for mastering with izotope)

The limiter when activate make FF/FF sound synthetic. Without limiter Pianoteq is far superior than all sampled library since 7.5.2 update.

My Favorite Steinway since new 7.5.2 Pianoteq revoicing update is Steinway B, with this custum .fxp :

Regards,

Olivier F.

Mac mini M2 pro with 16 Gb - 512 internal SSD - 1+2 Tb external USB SSD for samples - order of preference : 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 audio chained in Pianoteq 8 for SSR resonances and noises scripted in Logic 10 DAW - 3) Ivory 3 with some tweaks 3) Pianoteq 8 Steinway B
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am really impressed Navindra. When I have more time I will have to investigate the PI400, because it is really great to have pianoteq without all the laptop, wires... you made it more user friendly.
But it will be time consuming for me, and I prefer using my small amount of free time to try to progress on my piano skills... But I will come back to your thread in a future. Thank you so much for sharing, making us see the results and giving us the advice... And for your time.

Btw, very great playing.
Thank you

"La critique est facile, mais l'art reste difficile"
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by navindra
I got some mixed feedback for my previous Pianoteq recording... curious if the new one changes any opinions?

Does my personal NY Steinway D sound good yet? laugh

Your playing is *very* good. All the possibilities that you mention about PTQ are fantastic, I agree. On the sound itself, it bothers me that the bass is too dull (not bright enough) and the treble is too bright. Or at least so it sounds to me when compared to all the acoustic grands which I have the opportunity to listen to, in person and recorded. I have exactly the same problem in my playing. In fact I mentioned that to the modartt forum, hoping to get a "holy grail" solved, but besides the "it's the velocity curve" I got nothing.

Phil's recording suffer from the same problem. Most of the recordings at https://www.modartt.com/modeld don't, or at least not so strongly. The "F. Chopin - Fantasy in F Minor, Op. 49" has a somewhat artificial bass at the beginning, but the others are fine.

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by owfrappier
My Favorite Steinway since new 7.5.2 Pianoteq revoicing update is Steinway B, with this custum .fxp :

Sounds lovely! Thanks for the additional hints. I'll play around on my side to see the delta.

Originally Posted by Del Vento
Your playing is *very* good. All the possibilities that you mention about PTQ are fantastic, I agree. On the sound itself, it bothers me that the bass is too dull (not bright enough) and the treble is too bright. Or at least so it sounds to me when compared to all the acoustic grands which I have the opportunity to listen to, in person and recorded. I have exactly the same problem in my playing. In fact I mentioned that to the modartt forum, hoping to get a "holy grail" solved, but besides the "it's the velocity curve" I got nothing.

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm able to discern this... may just be the quality of my hearing or my sound system is coloring the tone. I was *trying* to play the left hand softer than the right hand, which will naturally result in a softer bass sound and a brighter treble.

I'll try to listen for this later... an A-B test against the Novus may help.

Btw, when I had an issue with the voicing that I couldn't resolve, I dropped a note to Modartt support and they immediately helped me resolve it after I provided a recording.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I am intrigued by the thought of using the Raspberry Pi 400 to drive Pianoteq.

For those who have done this .... Here is my fantasy .... Please tell me what reality is.

I purchase the Pi 400 (approximately $100).

Plug it into a monitor.

Turn it on and up it comes and I see the main screen.

Hook it into my WiFi by accessing "system" options via mouse and user interface provided on screen.

Access Moddart and download my Pianoteq and install it in the usual manner.

Start Pianoteq and select a Piano

Connect my piano into Pi 400 with USB midi cable.

From inside Pianoteq OPTIONS select the USB midi I connected.

Press some keys on piano and see them moving on Pianoteq user interface.

How much of this is pure fantasy ..... so far .... ?

Last edited by dmd; 12/29/21 05:14 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dmd
How much of this is pure fantasy ..... so far .... ?

Don, none of this is fantasy, quite the opposite. There are some further steps that do look like fantasy, but they are NOT either: Navindra controlled his Pi through VNC, using a phone/tablet as controller; so, once configured, one doesn't even need the monitor.

I linked his posts on this subject on this post of mine..

I will leave further details to Navindra if he is willing to add something.

EDIT: additional info here (shortcut); look at the posts starting from this one.

Last edited by EVC2017; 12/29/21 06:29 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Whoops .... no point in continuing this train of thought (Pi 400) for me.

I looked though some of the links provided by EVC2017 and it looks beyond my interest level.

When I was a young man I might have pursued it ..... not now.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Just as well, because what you wanted was likely fantasy. The sort of hands-offness your post implied does not usually enter into the Linux world at this point. Simply too many points for things to go wrong.

Exactly !

There was a time I would have pursued this just for the "fun" of it.

No more.

I want devices that work right out of the box.

A "black box" ..... If you will ....

You tell me what it does and I decide if I can utilize it.

I do not want to "tweak" it here and there as needed.

Don

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
I want devices that work right out of the box. A "black box" ..... If you will ....

For a dedicated Pianoteq "black box", the current budget Intel Celeron's are a good buy. You can expect to pay around US$250+ (or more), though if you aggressively shop you can find them for around US$200. They usually come with Windows installed or you can install Linux. For Pianoteq you only need minimum RAM (4GB) and a small SSD (less than 128GB if possible).

In order of increasing performance:
Celeron N4100
Celeron J4125 (look for the GK series form factor)
Celeron N5100

- All have better performance than the under US$100 enthusiast boards (Raspberry Pi 4, Odroid N2+) and I say this as someone who's happy with the performance of my Odroid N2+ as a dedicated Pianoteq sound module.

- Celeron J4125 - Look for the GK series form factor. Avoid the ones that look like a cube that you can hold in your hand like a baseball, those have problems keeping the CPU cool enough for Pianoteq; but the larger GK series boxes run nicely.

- N5100 is one of the newer Celeron's with the best performance. It can run Pianoteq with full default settings without breaking a sweat. Currently being placed mostly in laptops. I've seen a few N5100 GK series boxes, but they're still pretty rare right now.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Groove On
Celeron N4100
Celeron N5100

Fantastic info. I never understood Intel's naming scheme, so it's good to see it all laid out here.

One crucial thing with the Raspberry Pi 400 is that it is fanless. Fanless design is a must for me... I cannot tolerate fan noise. How well do Celeron fanless form factors work with Pianoteq?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
Celeron N4100
Celeron N5100
How well do Celeron fanless form factors work with Pianoteq?

The N4100/N5100 pull 6 watts at full load, similar to the Raspberry Pi 4/400. So the N4100/N5100 should easily run on a fanless heat sink, like the Raspberry Pi 400. Here's an N5100 computer with a fanless design.
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci331-nano-barebone

In comparison, the J4125 pulls about 10 watts, still in the range of a robust fanless heatsink and good ventilation. Though many people may be better served by a heat sink with a fan.

Notes - Differences between the Celeron lines:
Celeron N - designed for low-power (embedded/mobile systems), TDP 6 watts
Celeron J - designed for low-medium power (embedded/mobile systems), TDP 10 watts
Celeron G - designed for high-power (desktop systems), TDP 35-60 watts

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dmd

I looked though some of the links provided by EVC2017 and it looks beyond my interest level.

There is someone who automated much of the process. I can look up the link later. That is what I used, but I still had to fix one thing by hand. All in all it was very easy, but I am a regular Linux user.

In the end though everything is installed one SD-card, so it might be an idea if Modartt just provided ready to go SD-disk images for download. Just copy the file to an SD-card, stick it in the Raspbery and off you go. You would just have to enter the license and a wifi password if you want remote access.

N
N
Pianoteq is controlled directly from the Novus using a method similar to the N1X's native control interface -- press a key on the piano. I can also control it from an iPad. Modartt just shipped a JSON-RPC API for Pianoteq that opens up wondrous possibilities for new interfaces.
although I think it should have existed from the start, this is great news indeed smile
thanks !

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
There is someone who automated much of the process. I can look up the link later.

Here it is: https://github.com/youfou/pianoteq-pi

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

There is someone who automated much of the process. I can look up the link later. That is what I used, but I still had to fix one thing by hand. All in all it was very easy, but I am a regular Linux user.

In the end though everything is installed one SD-card, so it might be an idea if Modartt just provided ready to go SD-disk images for download. Just copy the file to an SD-card, stick it in the Raspbery and off you go. You would just have to enter the license and a wifi password if you want remote access.

Hang on guys! Why not keep those laptops? Once they're set up you can run PTq without updating, without internet access even, and - better still -without ever switching off.
Just sit down and play. And when PTq updates are available, you can d/l them so easily.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by peterws
Hang on guys! Why not keep those laptops? Once they're set up you can run PTq without updating, without internet access even, and - better still -without ever switching off.
Just sit down and play. And when PTq updates are available, you can d/l them so easily.

Good point, and to be honest, I still run it on a 2-in-1 laptop with touch screen myself. The main reason is that I also use other virtual instruments. However, if you just run Pianoteq, a Raspberry approach includes the following advantages:

- cheap (if you didn't already dedicate a laptop for this purpose)
- no unwanted windows stuff happening in the background, so consistent latency and consistent audio quality (unlike my laptop).
- very little energy use
- no noise
- very small (visually unobtrusive)

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mcontraveos
Just copy the file to an SD-card, stick it in the Raspbery and off you go. You would just have to enter the license and a wifi password if you want remote access.

I could see that working if Modartt were to somehow control the distro they used and keep it in harmony with both the Pi hardware as well as the Pianoteq software. Otherwise, the variability of Linux (what would otherwise be a strength) could well make this too hard or even impossible to realize

???

Modartt is already 100% in control of PTQ. The Pi hardware is also fixed in stone and changes very slowly, e.g. from Pi 3 to the Pi 4, much slower than PTQ itself. Perhaps the only variability would be the audio interface, if you decide to use an external one, but even that, they usually work out of the box and Modartt could decide to support only one or a handful and be done with it. Hence this would work just fine. In fact some third parties already do that for you, and you don't even have to wait for Modartt: just search their forum (or look at the link provided above).

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission