2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Boboulus, Chompoo, CountSmith, Carey, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, danno858, 10 invisible), 3,384 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
EDV #3180637 12/28/21 03:08 PM
I prefer Shigeru between the two.

A local piano dealer told me that the competition will add Bechstein in the next edition. Not sure about that. I'd rather have Mason & Hamlin, my personal favorite brand.

Soli Chopin gloria
Deann #3180638 12/28/21 03:09 PM

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Nov 1 2022
1000 Post Club Member
Have you tried acoustic treatment on the ceiling above the piano Deann? That may help as well. I have it in my living room and I like the effect. Also voicing the GX3 down, if it's bright, should make a difference too.

Daily driver: Yamaha Avantgrand N1
First crush: Kawai GL10, MP11SE
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
EDV #3180822 12/29/21 07:59 AM
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you Rich for the shout out. It would be nice if someone with access to Stewart pianos could give a review.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Rubens
A local piano dealer told me that the competition will add Bechstein in the next edition. Not sure about that. I'd rather have Mason & Hamlin, my personal favorite brand.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
EDV #3180840 12/29/21 08:55 AM
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
EDV #3180960 12/29/21 05:21 PM
P
P
You lucky dog to be considering any of the above instruments. In my quest for my personal piano I played many pianos and never could be satisfied with any under 7'. So starting there I played Steinways,Bostons (at Steinway hall), really liked a Schimmel (at Beethoven's pianos), tried Siler, Estonia and a few others. Finally bought a new Yamaha C7 because it felt much like the exceptional 1986 C7 I owned at my Denver studio. I had the fortunate chance to sit with a Fazioli at a trade show and really fell in love. Also have heard wonderful things about Grotrian here on the forum. Please keep us informed about your purchase.

EDV #3180964 12/29/21 05:29 PM
P
P
You lucky dog to be considering any of the above instruments. In my quest for my personal piano I played many pianos and never could be satisfied with any under 7'. So starting there I played Steinways,Bostons (at Steinway hall), really liked a Schimmel (at Beethoven's pianos), tried Siler, Estonia and a few others. Finally bought a new Yamaha C7 because it felt much like the exceptional 1986 C7 I owned at my Denver studio. I had the fortunate chance to sit with a Fazioli at a trade show and really fell in love. Also have heard wonderful things about Grotrian here on the forum. Please keep us informed about your purchase.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Everything else being equal, a large piano, especially a concert grand, will be superior to shorter models from that company due to the inherent benefits of length.

But a completely separate issue is if the build quality of shorter models of Shigeru, CF, and Fazioli is inferior to their concert sized instrument. One poster near the beginning of the thread suggested that, but I think that statement is wrong. And those shorter pianos are definitely not budget models(implying lower quality) as that poster suggested.

For sure, when we are talking about six or seven foot grands there are models available in their high quality ranges from everyone. Just not for the small baby grands.
Do you really think the smallest Fazioli(5'2", I believe) or smallest Shigeru(under 6') are low quality or any significant lower quality than their 7' grands or even their concert grands? I think that's completely false and those are the pianos the OP was talking about. Nor are they budget grands as you implied.

You are probably thinking of some piano makers who have many lines within their brand and where their smallest and cheapest grands are meant as budget models and are of lesser quality than their larger and/or more expensive lines. The Yamaha G series would be an example of that. None of that applies to the Yamaha CF, Shigeru, or Fazioli.

You are entitled to call the smallest Shigeru, or even the smallest Yamaha CF a baby grand if you like. I don't.

Last edited by gwing; 12/31/21 05:26 AM.
EDV #3181368 12/31/21 10:13 AM
P
P
Dear EDV,

Concert grands have historically been the real "business card" of piano builders, they really are in a class of their own in terms of build quality and attention they get. That said, these instruments are often build in the same workshop as smaller instruments with largely the same techniques and sometimes also same materials. So, I would definitely consider smaller instruments of the best builders out there as the highest quality in that segment.

Your choice for your instrument will be highly personal ;-). Grands also have an individual personality. It means that you may prefer one brand over another, but that one instrument might just feel better or sound better to you.

I would personally look for the largest instrument to fit in your space. I have found that larger instruments have a more beautiful tone, they are easier to play (for me at least), and yes they are loud (and I consider that great fun actually ;-). That said, there are great instruments in all sizes.

As people have written before 7' grands have excellent sound quality. I have played also shorter grands and some of them came close to the best instruments. That included a Kawai, but also a Gotrian-Steinweg. The Steinways are also not to be underestimated. I really liked their C's (7') but their B is also fun to play. My absolute favorite in the 7' segment was the Fazioli F228. It pretty much outclassed everything else I played except a few full-size concert grands.

And then there is the difficult choice of new vs. used. If budget is no object, I would buy a new instrument directly from the factory (book it via your local piano dealer so you support them to).

Additionally, if you like the Kawai sound, do try the Bosendorfers as well. They are very well known for their versatility, e.g., their popularity with jazz pianists. Their sound ideal of being a bit more rounded is a bit (in some sense, don't shoot me down) like Yamaha vs. Kawai, as in Fazioli vs. Bosendorfer (slightly more pointed vs. slightly more rounded sound). All excellent choices though. Good luck on your journey of discovery!

Ppianissimo

Proud owner of a Bosendorfer 280VC built in 2019
Previously proud owner of a Bechstein E from the 1940s
Originally Posted by Withindale

That was beautiful, thank you.

Soli Chopin gloria
EDV #3181436 12/31/21 02:43 PM
S
S
my friend owns a F156.. pretty nice piano, 90.000€. but worse than a 5,5 feet piano

Yamaha P-125 --> Yamaha YUS1TA2 --> ?Grand Piano?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,755
Posts3,204,576
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission