2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I am going to view a Baldwin Hamilton Upright Piano, 243HPA, 45", Serial number: 343153. Asking price: CA$2,500. I was told that it hasn't been used for about 3 years (no tunning). Is it worth to view? How do I check it if it hasn't been used for such a long time? Thanks!

Helen

abg Offline
It all depends, I'm afraid.
If it hasn't been used but has been in a stable environment without a lot of heat and humidity, it might be doable. If it's been in a basement, that's not good.
I'm afraid I don't have the resources to check the serial number.
That said, the 243 is a good piano, durable as heck, and occasionally with surprisingly rich tone and responsive action.
But not always.
So . . . my advice would be to find out the actual age of the piano, where it has been for the past 3 years, and then, if its' less than 20 years old and has been in an acceptable environment, to hire a tech and go look it over.
It might be a find.

Musical amateur with no professional pretensions or affiliations
OP Offline
I have check the serial number and came up with the following info:

1980: 343950.

So the one should be a little bit earlier than 1980. The age is probably about 28 years old, I guess. I will view it tomorrow with my son's piano teacher.

OP Offline
BTW, do you think a piano teacher can check it for me instead of a technician?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Double-check that serial number. The age might be quite a bit older.

A piano teacher can check the action and listen to the sound. If the piano hasn't been tuned in 3 years, it's not going to sound great to a teacher, a technician or to you.
A technician can do far more than a teacher. If there are problems, the technician can tell you how serious they are and the cost involved in correcting them. I doubt that the teacher could provide that kind of information.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I bought my Hamilton in 1976. I don't recall the serial number, unfortunately, and I no longer own it, since I've moved up. Hamiltons are very durable pianos, but they can have issues. One of them is the leather on the jack (if I have this wrong, someone please advise) is not really leather, but some artificial material that wears out, and in my case, came off. This was a job that took my tech several hours to repair.

The action on my piano was not particularly good either (hey, I got it when I was 26!), and no matter what my techs did, I could never get the piano to perform well.

Lastly, after 30 years, the piano had lost all its dynamic range. Subtlety was not one of its high points. It had two volumes - loud and very loud. I know this is a matter of voicing, etc, but I didn't want to pour more money into it.

Have a tech look at it (not a teacher), for he'll see things that a teacher can easily miss.

Oh, and when I asked about selling my piano, dealers told me I should ask $2000 (US), accept $1500.

I traded it in for $1500 when I got my grand.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission