2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (brennbaer, C. L., drewr, Almaviva, anamnesis, 8 invisible), 448 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jon999 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My piano music consists of perhaps 30 or more sheet music books. Fighting with pages has long been an irritant to me (I recently attended a musical and what impressed me most was how effortlessly the pianist flipped page after page).

I'm considering going the digital route, using my iPad. I play exclusively pop/rock. I am aware that there are download sites, but I'm mostly wondering what to do with my relatively vast collection of music books.

Is it even worth it to try scanning (at least some of my favorites) and saving as PDFs? Would they be clunky to work on the iPad, once scanned and saved? I'm thinking it would be difficult to get a crisp, non-tilted image.

I'd also be interested in hearing which sites are recommended for pop/rock downloads.

Thanks so much.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Any music books that I have on paper get scanned to pdf's and then the paper goes into the recycling box.

A friend of mine owns a publishing company and he has a giant paper cutting machine, so I put the book into that and chop the spine off. Then I take the individual sheets and scan them to an image, and then combine the images into a pdf and (if I'm feeling ambitious) I can even make a pdf bookmark file and add that to the pdf for a really professional result.

It's a bit time consuming but the end result is well worth the effort involved. I read my scores on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and have them all backed up on my fileserver.. Someday I might buy a footpedal for the tablet but since I don't perform it doesn't really matter if I pause to turn the page.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Forscore lets you take a photo (they call it a scan) and save that. You can adjust the corners. I've used another app called Geniuscan which has more editing controls. But when I really want to get a clean scan I use a HP printer with a built in scanner. It has to have glass larger than letter size, since most scores are larger than letter size, which is a pain if the scanner only does letter size.

I have a lot of music too, but convert things to pdf that I am actively playing. Of course, it adds up over time. I've got 521 scores now, and some of those are collections. Lots of sightreading material!

I also buy things in digital form when I can, so no need to scan.

I also use the Henle app to buy digital scores. If you print from the Henle app there is a way to save as a pdf, then move that to Forscore.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
B
I’ve been scanning my sheet music books into PDF using an old Epson V500 flatbed scanner. It is oversized so can handle the large formats. You have to take your time and get a scan that is not skewed and has good contrast, and it helps to erase any previous markups you’ve done. Scans at 600 dpi and black & white (high contrast) seem to be a good compromise on file size vs legibility. There are fancier scanning options often recommended by the book digitizing community.

For thick books, you have the option of removing the binding, either using a special bandsaw blade or a binding cutter. Glued bindings can be removed using a heat gun or hairdryer to melt the glue. Haven’t tried that yet.

When I’m feeling more ambitious, I use an iOS app called PlayScore 2 that can take a PDF scan (or even just a clear photo of your sheet music) and turn it into an XML file that can be imported into a tool like Musescore for layout and editing. From there I create a very crisp, space-efficient digital score. Can’t recommend PlayScore 2 enough.. it’s shockingly accurate and almost feels like cheating. It’ll even play anything you point the camera at.

Before doing all that, it’s worthwhile to make sure the score you want isn’t already available in digital form, such as from IMSLP.

I used forScore on my iPad Pro 12.9” … almost original size and a real pleasure on the eyes with the automatic color balance to the ambient room light. Even better, no piano lamp necessary! I still marvel at the ideal of (someday) my entire sheet music library on this thin device.

Edit: I should also mention forScore works well with the Apple Pencil. You can easily make notes or add actual music notation as layers on top of your music. It has some neat tricks up it’s sleeve for page turning, but I find a tap on the screen works well enough for me.

Last edited by BravoRomeo; 12/26/21 10:14 PM.

Geoff
CASIO GP-510 Digital | C. Bechstein B Grand
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” A. Einstein
S
S
A game changer for me was a book scanner; I’m using one from CZUR (czur.com — I have the ET16 Plus). The scanned images aren’t as fine or color-controlled as with a typical sheet-at-a-time scanner, but sheet music isn’t photographs. And the speed with which I can scan a book is maybe 10x faster than with a typical scanner.

One big advantage: curve correction and auto-centering for facing pages. The CZUR scanner projects laser lines onto the open book to detect the curvature of the pages, which it then corrects. And it auto-detects the boundary between facing pages. Boundary detection can be unpredictable with plastic comb bindings, but is quite reliable with conventional book bindings.

Another interesting feature: they have special “finger cots” to hold the book open. The cots have an identifiable pattern of dots and lines on them that the software detects and then removes from the final image. So, no thumbs in the final scans :-)

Lastly, there’s a foot switch that greatly speeds up scanning. Basically, I hold open the book, press the switch with my foot, wait a second until I hear a beep, then turn to the next page and repeat. I can easily scan a hundred page book in around 5 minutes. Then press a few buttons on the screen to generate a PDF of all the individual scans and voila — a single PDF file of my music book. That gets imported into Newzik with another few clicks and I can move from the PC at the desk to the tablet at the piano and it’s there, ready to play.

The CZUR isn’t 100% foolproof and I find myself occasionally rescanning a few pages or even an entire book. And photos, shaded comment boxes in lesson books, etc. are sometimes not rendered as well as the original (especially in B&W mode, so I typically use grayscale in those cases). But using a book scanner combined with Newzik (on a 12.9” iPad with a PageFlip Bluetooth pedal) has made the transition to digital a reality for me.

Related: I’m a fan of Newzik (though I haven’t used the conversion to score features so can’t comment on how effective it is), but imagine this flow is just as easy with Forscore or other sheet music software. I especially love that Newzik makes it seamless to import music in one place (PC, or smaller tablet kept bedside), then play it elsewhere (separate iPads at the piano and the digital keyboard). But Forscore makes many people just as happy :-)

EDIT: should have also mentioned the CZUR ET16 Plus has a wide enough field of view to scan an open (2 pages showing) music book, with some room to spare. Maybe orchestral scores are too big, I don’t live in that world so don’t know. But all of my music books (classical, fake, pop, lesson, single-song sheet, etc.) fits.

Last edited by Scotthoven; 12/27/21 02:38 AM. Reason: Additional info (scan area size)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That czur scanner certainly looks interesting. For some reason it doesn't support the latest MacOS. If it did I would be tempted to buy one...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I prefer to cut off the book spine and to spiral bind it.
I also have a lot of pdfs, and find that printing the scores I work on works for me better than screen.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
J
Jon999 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Where does one go to get a book spiral bound? What is the cost, on average? Any tips on getting this done?

Thanks!

L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
I used to go to Staples in the US and pay about $5 per book to have the perfect binding cut off and a spiral binding installed. It was well worth it.

B
Online Content
B
There is a free app for Android, i don't kniw if it is also avaliable for iOS
It's called vFlat.
You can photograph your book, pages, whatever with your phone and it will flatten automatically any curved pages, remove distortions, clean up pages, etc.
And it creates PDFs from your pictures.
It really does a very good job.

Before vFlat i used a free PC software called ScanTaylor for that purpose.
This gives you more options for editing your pages but is way more time consuming.
I'd say that for 90 to 95 % of your tasks vFlat does the job good enough so you won't need the additional editing capabilities of ScanTaylor.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the vFlat recommendation. It is available in iOS

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jon999
Where does one go to get a book spiral bound? What is the cost, on average? Any tips on getting this done?

Thanks!

I went to Staples in the past, but now I do this at home. Got my own 17" Blade heavy duty guillotine paper cutter (HFS), coil binding machine (TruBind), plastic spiral coil spines of various sizes, and covers.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
C
C
I can imagine that doing everything manually takes a lot of time and nerves.
Did you hear about scan score software maybe https://scan-score.com/en/?
It scan both digital or printed sheet music and after you can edit it, change the format, transfer to another program etc etc.
Maybe this will help.

Last edited by christinsim; 03/27/22 08:25 AM.
A
A
I'm lazy, so all my pop/rock sheet music are wonky photographs in my phone's camera roll. lol
Took a photo of them straight off some library books - they're often too big for my scanner anyway, especially the ones they re-bound in hardcover. The "font" is usually big enough for me to still be able to read it like this.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,757
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission