2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (BlackKnight, bwv872, 36251, Dore, Boboulus, anotherscott, DigitalSpace, 12 invisible), 774 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3178103 12/17/21 05:27 AM
X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hi all,
In my thinking of (in the future) buying an upgrade from my CN29, I am wondering how long this upgraded version will be usable. So for those of you that bought a higher end DP or Hybrid, since how many years are you using it, and how long do you think you will still be using it at home?

After all, the resale value goes down quickly, but it is not an indication of how long you conisder you investment worth for.

Thanks!

xlider
—————
CN29
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I lose track but think I'm on my 9th year with my NU1. No problems at all with it. It was serviced once by Yamaha on year 5 at the end of its warranty, and lightly by me last year in lockdown. The condition and appearance is almost like new but I probably would ask less than 50% of a new NU1X if I were to sell and be happy if I got 50%. I would even consider giving it away for free to a music college, school, or similar.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I typically keep my personal DPs for around 5 years and sell them for roughly half of their new “street price”.
The university class piano labs I teach in, typically keep their instruments around 15 years and then the performance or reliability degrades enough (including connected accessories) that they typically get replaced around that time. Those go to government surplus auctions and sell for maybe 10% of their new price.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
A
A
I bought my Kawai CS11 two years ago. Very happy with it and it's more than my level of playing deserves. No issues what so ever. Still - there's been some tempting DP developments during these years, so I'm keeping my eyes open for a possible upgrade. Probably in a year or two. For me it's a substantially "better" (= more accoustic-piano-like) key action and sound quality that would make me pull the trigger. The CS11 is in mint condition (as new), but I'm guessing the value has dropped drastically from the +4K USD I payed for it.

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
M
M
A six year old CA67 that works great and will be with me for a long time. I can not think of a valid reason to get anything newer.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks, so a useful life of 5-10 years seems a reasonable way of looking at it.

xlider
—————
CN29
B
B
I just sold my Yamaha P-120 after enjoying it for 17 years. Still played and sounded like the day I bought it. Quality in design, materials, and build should easily last a decade or two, after which one may want to upgrade to newer technology.

Geoff
CASIO GP-510 Digital | C. Bechstein B Grand
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” A. Einstein
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I've had my ES110 since July or August; I consider it an underrated bargain and I'd find it interesting to keep it as long as I can. It wasn't expensive so a trade in/off wouldn't matter much.
Trouble is of course, said piano might have more life on it than I have.
Anno Domini can be a pain at times . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
My P255 since October of 2015 has been around providing me lots of enjoyment and challenges. I'm quite happy with it, moved it around a bit inside our apartment for better views and sounds.
The ability to load MIDI and audio files into the device is a really great teaching tool for me. Especially with MIDI files many parameters (volume, ambience, choice of instrument, tempo of the selection etc.) can be modified and saved for future learning experiences. Often I mix the grand piano and harpsichord sounds to make an passable fortepiano sound for Haydn selections.
The only negative thing is that Yamaha no longer supports the app for the P255 that gave you easy access to all menu controls. The positive side is that now I have to learn the ones that I want to modify and use. It's really not so difficult.
I suppose that I will update one day but I really am still happy with the device and see no strong compulsion to change it.

Joseph

"If at first you succeed, try to hide your astonishment."
K
Online Content
K
I took delivery of my Kawai MP11 stage piano on September 3rd 2014. I still like it as much as I did on day one and do not see any reason to change it.

M
M
I think that mostly depends on:

a) personal taste and how that changes. Sounds of today's models are pretty much very good and I don't see a lot of room upward from that.
b) warranty. How expensive will maintenance be after warranty runs out.

Currently I own a MP11SE. I don't have any plans to replace it apart from a and b, except for one: if there'll ever be a comparable model with a more precise keybed at an affordable price in the same price region. It's still contact rubber based and most of those units (in my experience) are usually only as precise in their velocity measurement as necessary to not be noticeable by the average Joe. Unfortunately, I don't know yet any model that has this production variability/unreliability under control - except maybe for the optical sensor based ones starting at like 7k€ (though I really can't say whether that's actually true).

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
M
M
To answer your question: my previous one was like 15 years old, though I hadn't played it much in that time. My current one is maybe a month or so old.

Last edited by Marc345; 12/19/21 07:44 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I bought my DP-603 about a year and a half ago. It's still playing like new, even with fairly regular practice. That's a lot better than my previous Casios, both of which developed loose keys pretty quickly. I'm hoping the DP-603 will last a good long time, as I'm very happy with the PHA-50 action. Roland build quality has always been good in my experience, so I have a feeling it'll be a while before I'll need anything else, and if I do, I could totally see buying another DP-603.

Decent bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, RD-2000, & VR-730; Yamaha MX61; Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30; Casio PX-160 & PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Had an older model Yamaha that started acting up last year. Upgraded to a Yamaha 125 and a Clavier folding piano for travelling. Both less than 1 year old. The Clavier piano have light touch keys but still very playable. The action on the Yamaha is inconsistent. Some of the time when playing loud the notes sound a bit staccato. For the money can't really complain.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I've had my P90 for 15 years, I love it. But if you have a problem the lifespan can be limited by cost and availability of parts and repairs. Especially with a floor model digital where you can't easily take it to a shop, you have to find someone to come and service it. I've had a few key related problems that I've been able to fix myself, but if you're not into DIY you'll need to find a repair shop. That's one reason I like to buy from places like Sweetwater, they service everything they sell. If you buy from an electronic storefront you have less chance of getting help if you have a problem.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
M
Although it’s not high end, I bought my Casio- CDP 135 around January of 2018. It is still going strong with no issues. I don’t think there is always a correlation between reliability/resale to the price paid. I think your mileage depends upon the brand you choose.

V
V
Since around December last year I've got a Yamaha CLP-645 and I absolutely love it! Before that I had a Steinfort MP110 so it was a huge upgrade. I am so happy that I made that decision!
It sounds and feels really good, though the Bossendorfer sound(option, not standard) is underwhelming but the standard piano sound is great. Also I love how easy controlable it is compared to my old piano!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Since 1986. Bought my CLP 300 new when they were first released. It still works great and I use it for practicing and for scoring when my wife is on our main piano, a M&H BB.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi All, I have been out of the loop here for a bit. Hope everyone on the forum is well and happy holidays. Just wanted to quickly jump in on this thread and mention old faithful: Kawai ES7 just turned 9 years old on December 20th. Purchased at a great Kawai dealer in Salem, NH on 12/20/2012. 9 years later and at least 2500+ hours on it, no issues at all! Still rock-solid except for a few "road kisses" over the years but still looks, sounds, and feels great. I'll will be honest that the keys thump a little bit more as the felt or key bushings must be pounded down quite a bit by now, but that's it. Not a factor when playing whatsoever. I have had several other non-Kawai slabs since then, but the RHII is just a great action that always felt very natural to me. This is a fun thread. Thanks, Marko

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 12/23/21 09:35 AM. Reason: typo
R
R
I have a yamaha p70 thats about 15 years old, still going strong!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,517
Members105,374
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission