2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Brendan, David Lai, AndreaH, bwv872, BillS728, accordeur, 36251, 13 invisible), 607 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3178593 12/19/21 09:37 AM
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
C
Curt-S Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
Does the N1X have more sensors for key movement than the NU1X. What does the NU1X miss? Does the N1X send that data out via MIDI or does it only matter for the internal sound engine?

Any update of the NU1X expected soon?

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
The N1X doesn't have more key sensors but it has additional hammers sensors that the NU1X lacks. This is suppose to make the N1X more precise and accurate. I don't know how big the difference is in real life but the hammer sensors prevent the NU1X to get the infamous "loud note"-issue that many owners of the NU1X has reported, i. e an imperfectness in the velocity reading the can make notes to suddenly get loud without hitting a key harder.


"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
C
Curt-S Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
Thanks! So they both can do the same things with key off velocity and the fancy resonance stuff with a partial key off or keeping them held down… but if I remember reading correctly, they don’t send that data with any variability via MIDI so you only hear those things with the internal sound.

Think it’s still a good time to buy a NU1X or will an upgrade probably come soon ?

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,183
3000 Post Club Member
Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,183
Always a good time to buy a NU1x.

Yamaha still has the N2 on the market so they don't seem to update these frequently. . .

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Curt-S
Thanks! So they both can do the same things with key off velocity and the fancy resonance stuff with a partial key off or keeping them held down… but if I remember reading correctly, they don’t send that data with any variability via MIDI so you only hear those things with the internal sound.
Yes, as far as I know there is no difference in that regard. The ability to read key/damper positions probably why Yamaha has chosen to go with key sensors in the NU1X instead of hammer sensors only like in Kawais novus series. And the Yamaha hybrids do indeed send damper position data via MIDI. However, the standard MIDI protocol doesn't support it so it's sent with the Yamaha Disklavier XP protocol and as far as I know the only external program/VST that support this is Pianoteq.

Last edited by johanibraaten; 12/19/21 12:38 PM.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
C
Curt-S Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
Thanks!


Do you know if they updated the sound engine on the Clp785 vs the NU1X? Seems people say the NU1X still sounds better. I think it does lack the binaural Bosendorfer.. but thought there might be more differences since the 785 boasts more velocity layers than their previous model.

I guess the N1X is the same as the NU1X?

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
C
Curt-S Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
I guess thats the real grand expression 2, extra velocity layers, and binaural Bosendorfer? I read both have the VRM. But again, people seem to still like the NU1X sound better? Nice, if so! Plus there are always VSTs.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
E
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
E
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
The N1X doesn't have more key sensors but it has additional hammers sensors that the NU1X lacks. This is suppose to make the N1X more precise and accurate. I don't know how big the difference is in real life but the hammer sensors prevent the NU1X to get the infamous "loud note"-issue that many owners of the NU1X has reported, i. e an imperfectness in the velocity reading the can make notes to suddenly get loud without hitting a key harder.

The NU1X no longer has the "loud notes" problem since software version v2.10 and it is not proven that the source of the problem is a lack of sensors. I own a NU1X purchased this year and have not experienced this problem at any time.

Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Yes, as far as I know there is no difference in that regard. The ability to read key/damper positions probably why Yamaha has chosen to go with key sensors in the NU1X instead of hammer sensors only like in Kawais novus series. And the Yamaha hybrids do indeed send damper position data via MIDI. However, the standard MIDI protocol doesn't support it so it's sent with the Yamaha Disklavier XP protocol and as far as I know the only external program/VST that support this is Pianoteq.

As far as I know, this protocol does not apply to the NU1X, which uses standard MIDI.

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by ediegus
The NU1X no longer has the "loud notes" problem since software version v2.10 and it is not proven that the source of the problem is a lack of sensors. I own a NU1X purchased this year and have not experienced this problem at any time.
That's good to hear, the NU1X is a great instrument and if the problem is solved it's great news.

Originally Posted by ediegus
As far as I know, this protocol does not apply to the NU1X, which uses standard MIDI.
There are no official sources that says that N1/N1X send Disklavier XP data either. This is something I discovered in Pianoteq when my piano (N1) sent strange "Aftertouch" data when I released a key slowly. I switched to the Disklavier XP dialect in Pianoteq and now sent "Damper position" instead and suddenly the note was rounded off in a similar (but not as obvious) way as the built in sound when releasing key slowly. May I ask, what messages does your NU1X send when you release a key slowly?


"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
J
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
J
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Curt-S
Thanks!


Do you know if they updated the sound engine on the Clp785 vs the NU1X? Seems people say the NU1X still sounds better. I think it does lack the binaural Bosendorfer.. but thought there might be more differences since the 785 boasts more velocity layers than their previous model.

I guess the N1X is the same as the NU1X?
As you say, the biggest difference is suposed to be the Bösendorfer sound with a new binaural sampling. I don't know how different the CFX sound is though.


"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
E
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
E
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
There are no official sources that says that N1/N1X send Disklavier XP data either. This is something I discovered in Pianoteq when my piano (N1) sent strange "Aftertouch" data when I released a key slowly. I switched to the Disklavier XP dialect in Pianoteq and now sent "Damper position" instead and suddenly the note was rounded off in a similar (but not as obvious) way as the built in sound when releasing key slowly. May I ask, what messages does your NU1X send when you release a key slowly?

When I change the MIDI dialect in Pianoteq, there is no change. I think it only affects N1(X), N2 and N3(X).

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
E
Junior Member
Offline
Junior Member
E
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by Curt-S
Any update of the NU1X expected soon?

If the NU1 was released in 2010 and was on sale until 2017, well, the NU1X would have almost 3 years left.... smile Now seriously, Yamaha may make changes earlier but so far these renovations are very slow and the models hold a long time on the market.The Avantgrand models are closely related to the Silent and Transacoustic which are not renewed often either. If any series or update of the latter is released, a new Avantgrand will be released. Generally, these 3 series are usually given features that have been tried and tested on the Clavinova before.
I expect a future NU1X? or whatever it's called with some minimal redesign to the cabinet, some change to the speakers and with the latest Clavinova sounds. I don't think they will change the keyboard (it's the same at least since the DUP-8 of 2000, almost entirely made of wood and based on the classic vertical action of the 19th century, there is not much to innovate unless they put more plastic parts...), I don't think Yamaha will put more sensors either, so far with the Silent, transacoustic and hybrid verticals they have only used the key sensor

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 88
D
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
D
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by ediegus
Originally Posted by Curt-S
Any update of the NU1X expected soon?
the latest Clavinova sounds.
I would like to have your opinion on the latest Clavinova sounds. Because I don't appreciate them. How would you characterize them in relation to the old ones?

As far as the pure sound is concerned, I like the ydp more than the CLP 7 series. What I do like is that you can now adjust the brightness.

Last edited by deafital; 12/22/21 02:12 PM.

Old: a dusted Roland D5 synth. Upcoming: Yamaha NU1X digipi.
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
C
Curt-S Offline OP
Full Member
OP Offline
Full Member
C
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 78
I’m curious in regards to those 700 sample vs the NU1X… that and I guess the engine improvements.. I don’t think the NU1X has grand expression 2 or the additional velocity layers the 700 has..maybe VRM? But are they noticeably better? Not looking to VST right away.

Last edited by Curt-S; 12/22/21 06:36 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,506
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5