2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3178069 12/17/21 12:04 AM
JaneF Online Content OP
OP Online Content
The "what's the best VST" thread somehow prompts me to ask this.

I'm curious about one specific capability.

And no, it's not the presence of true una corda samples, the absence of which for me vastly diminishes the value of the Synchron pianos. frown

No, this question is about the emulation of the function of the sostenuto pedal. Normally you play something and catch it with the sostenuto, which enables you to change the damper pedal thereafter without disturbing the notes you're already holding.

I came across this performance trick, which works without issue on an acoustic piano.

The beginning of the second Rachmaninoff piano concerto consists of alternating between chords and an F1 pedal tone.

The trick is - silently depress the F1 before beginning the piece.
Catch it with the sostenuto pedal while holding the key down.
Then as you go back and forth between the chords and the low F, the F will hold as a pedal tone.

It's a neat effect.

But... can a VST do this?

I've only experimented with a few, but would be interested to hear of others.

My experiments:
  • Pianoteq - yes
  • VSL VI - no
  • VSL Synchron - no
  • Ivory ACD - no
  • Modern U - no
  • Ravenscroft - no
  • Garritan CFX - no

If anyone cares to try, what do you find?

[Linked Image]

Jane - expert on nothing with opinions on everything
JaneF #3178093 12/17/21 03:53 AM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Now this is a nice, interesting, original question, @JaneF!

From the top of my head, I'd say Modern U should be able to do this. I'll test it later today or over the weekend, and report back.

Cheers and happy sostenuto,

HZ

JaneF #3178146 12/17/21 10:05 AM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Not being specific to Rach2, are you saying that the sostenuto never works, or that it only works when playing an AUDIBLE note? It may be that your midi keyboard sends a message that is incorrectly interpreted by the VST engine as being a note off instead of being inaudible note-on ...

JaneF #3178165 12/17/21 12:18 PM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@JaneF, I just did the test with Modern U. It performs your sostenuto "trick" with ease and does it well, I am happy to report.

As an 'encore', I also intended to do the same test with NI Noire, but discovered it only seems to recognize Sustain. So that one is a definite No.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

JaneF #3178176 12/17/21 12:45 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi Jane,

I also did it with Garritan CFX, and it played the opening of Rachmaninoff second perfectly, so did American Concert D, Ravenscroft, and Modern U. VSL Synchron Concert D 274 didn't do so well, especially if I depress the sustain pedal as I release the chords.

Hope this helps!

David

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi Jane,

I also did it with Garritan CFX, and it played the opening of Rachmaninoff second perfectly, so did American Concert D, Ravenscroft, and Modern U.

David

Hello,

Wonderful results, David, great to know!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

JaneF #3178188 12/17/21 01:21 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Just as an aside my Roland DP will do this but I can only play about half of those chords 😀

FP-90x, PX-330
JaneF #3178309 12/17/21 09:20 PM
JaneF Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Interesting.
Thanks for the input, guys.

Looking deeper and switching on the keyboard display in the various plugins, I see that Pianoteq displays the key (in red) when I depress it silently.

The keyboard for the Modern U does not show key activity.
The keyboard for the Garritan CFX also does not.
The Ivory keyboard graphic never shows key activity regardless of keystroke, but the little MIDI light comes on briefly when I silently depress a key.

Having no clue what I'm doing, I tried using MIDI OX. It seems that my "silent" keypresses are transmitting as Key Aftertouch 7F and Key Aftertouch 00. Whereas the softest note I can play transmits as Note On and Note Off.

So it's my keyboard after all. But still interesting that Pianoteq has programmed their system so it recognizes silent keypress whereas none of the other guys seem to.

This is the only keyboard I have (N3 Avant Grand) so I've nothing to compare it to. I'm guessing the keyboards you're using actually transmit a Note On at maybe velocity 0 or 1. ???

As for the opening of the Rach Second... @David Lai - I think you're one guy who could actually play that! FWIW, I've been disappointed with some aspects of VSL's playability - beginning with the lack of una corda. I have to guess that their major market is gigging musicians and people using pianos in instrumental mixes, rather than the few "odd" amateurs who obsess over exposed solo classical performance.

Cheers,

Jane

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JaneF #3178347 12/18/21 05:07 AM
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

It strikes me as odd that a beefy hybrid like your N3 is troubly in how it handles such a natural thing as a silent key press.

My Roland FP-10 indeed does send a note-on with velocity 1, and my main piano (Modern U) has the option to interpret that as a silent key press. A note-on with velocity 0 is usually interpreted as actually being a note-off, this inherits from older keyboards/pianos that didn't use the separate note-off command.

Now some good news for you is that software like MIDI-OX can translate MIDI messages. So, for each aftertouch command that comes in, it can send a note-on with velocity 1 to your VSTi. Same for aftertouch-off to a note-off with velocity 0.

This takes some fiddling and familiarizing with that software and the routing of the MIDI stream, but should be doable!

Cheers and happy MIDI interventions,

HZ

JaneF #3178386 12/18/21 11:52 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JaneF
Interesting.
Thanks for the input, guys.

Looking deeper and switching on the keyboard display in the various plugins, I see that Pianoteq displays the key (in red) when I depress it silently.

The keyboard for the Modern U does not show key activity.
The keyboard for the Garritan CFX also does not.
The Ivory keyboard graphic never shows key activity regardless of keystroke, but the little MIDI light comes on briefly when I silently depress a key.

Having no clue what I'm doing, I tried using MIDI OX. It seems that my "silent" keypresses are transmitting as Key Aftertouch 7F and Key Aftertouch 00. Whereas the softest note I can play transmits as Note On and Note Off.

So it's my keyboard after all. But still interesting that Pianoteq has programmed their system so it recognizes silent keypress whereas none of the other guys seem to.

This is the only keyboard I have (N3 Avant Grand) so I've nothing to compare it to. I'm guessing the keyboards you're using actually transmit a Note On at maybe velocity 0 or 1. ???

As for the opening of the Rach Second... @David Lai - I think you're one guy who could actually play that! FWIW, I've been disappointed with some aspects of VSL's playability - beginning with the lack of una corda. I have to guess that their major market is gigging musicians and people using pianos in instrumental mixes, rather than the few "odd" amateurs who obsess over exposed solo classical performance.

Cheers,

Jane
Hi Jane!

Thanks for your comment. As context, I'm on a Kawai VPC1, which is a midi keyboard to begin with. I don't know how it interprets silent key presses, but I can surely play the opening of Rach 2nd and technically fake it to sound realistically on an acoustic instrument.

Well, I guess now I have one VST I regret buying, and that's the VSL Concert D 274. Love the sound, but its piano-like design is far from perfect compared with Garritan CFX, ACD or Modern U. I have to confess that these other libraries give me far more enjoyment and I practice a lot with them compared with the VSL Synchron Concert D 274.

Thanks for the experiment!!!

David

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by HZPiano
A note-on with velocity 0 is usually interpreted as actually being a note-off
Always. It's part of the MIDI spec. Note On velocity 0 must be interpreted as Note Off.

A "silent keypress" should be Note On velocity 1.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by David Lai
VSL Concert D 274. Love the sound, but its piano-like design is far from perfect compared with Garritan CFX, ACD or Modern U.

Hi David. Would you care to ellaborate on what makes these other VSTs better than the VSL D-274? I don't have the technical skills to push a VST and find its limitations, but would live to know what those are? Pedalling? Resonances while pedalling? Stacattisimos? Or simply the stacking of the notes?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Hi David. Would you care to ellaborate on what makes these other VSTs better than the VSL D-274? I don't have the technical skills to push a VST and find its limitations, but would live to know what those are? Pedalling? Resonances while pedalling? Stacattisimos? Or simply the stacking of the notes?
Hi vagfilm!

So far, there are 2 key functions the Synchron D can't do:

1. True una corda (soft pedal on the left) samples. The Synchron D doesn't have them, and the whole Synchron Pianos line in fact.

2. sustain and sostenuto pedals not be effected by one another. This means when you are using both pedals together, despite the changing of the sustain pedal, the sostenuto note will continue to hold, and the sustain pedal also functions as so, no matter how you change the pedal.

All the other libraries I have can do this, except Synchron D. But I still keep it in my computer because of its sound, and because, of course, I bought it...

Hope this helps.

David

JaneF #3178436 12/18/21 03:31 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
David: thanks for your comment. I was aware of the lack of una corda, but not aware of the pedal problems. As I am at the stage of "both hands playing is a challenge" and not yet at "both pedals challenge", I will keep that information but it does not affect me. If it was something touch related that VILabs could do well but VSL no, I would be more worried...

JaneF Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Well, I think the Pianoteq mystery is solve-ed (as Inspector Clouseau would have said.)

When I bought and installed Pianoteq, I took some forum advice and set the MIDI dialect to "Disklavier XP".

Pianoteq has its own MIDI monitor window, and with MIDI dialect set to "Standard MIDI" the messages received are
Note 077 Aftertouch (F4) value:127
Note 077 Aftertouch (F4) value:0

Set to "Disklavier XP" the messages become
Damper 077 POS (F4) value1:127
Damper 077 POS (F4) value1:0

Much of the time I use Cantabile rather than the VSTi standalone versions. I posted on their forum to ask whether there's an easy way to do that mapping of Aftertouch to Damper.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Otherwise I would have continued thinking the differences were in the VSTi rather than a peculiarity of my N3.

@David Lai - not sure I'm reading your description of the VSL sostenuto issue correctly. I have the VSL Bluethner and 280VC and hadn't noticed the sostenuto and sustain pedals interacting. Can you give me an example?
I just tried the first bars of the Barcarolle with the 280VC and kept the sostenuto pedal through to the end while changing damper pedal throughout. (Sorry the recording is so bass-heavy and my playing so clunky):
https://soundcloud.com/user-203045683/barcarollesostenuto280vc

Jane

[Linked Image]

JaneF #3178500 12/18/21 08:48 PM
JaneF Online Content OP
OP Online Content
And... discussed in a different context in this thread: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...and-midi-dialect-same-as-disklavier.html

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@JaneF, It looks like we've all learned some things from your case.

If Cantabile offers functionality for doing the MIDI mapping (which I referred to as 'translation' in my earlier response), that'd make your life easier than when using MIDI-OX for that task.

In creating such mapping for the sake of your sostenuto method used with your sample-based VSTis, I suggest you forget about the 'damper' term, which is highly likely to put you on a dead end.

Instead, create the mapping as I described earlier:

Originally Posted by HZPiano
Now some good news for you is that software like MIDI-OX can translate MIDI messages. So, for each aftertouch command that comes in, it can send a note-on with velocity 1 to your VSTi. Same for aftertouch-off to a note-off with velocity 0.

Cheers and happy mapping,

HZ

JaneF #3178557 12/19/21 05:59 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by JaneF
Well, I think the Pianoteq mystery is solve-ed (as Inspector Clouseau would have said.)

When I bought and installed Pianoteq, I took some forum advice and set the MIDI dialect to "Disklavier XP".

Pianoteq has its own MIDI monitor window, and with MIDI dialect set to "Standard MIDI" the messages received are
Note 077 Aftertouch (F4) value:127
Note 077 Aftertouch (F4) value:0

Set to "Disklavier XP" the messages become
Damper 077 POS (F4) value1:127
Damper 077 POS (F4) value1:0

Much of the time I use Cantabile rather than the VSTi standalone versions. I posted on their forum to ask whether there's an easy way to do that mapping of Aftertouch to Damper.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Otherwise I would have continued thinking the differences were in the VSTi rather than a peculiarity of my N3.

@David Lai - not sure I'm reading your description of the VSL sostenuto issue correctly. I have the VSL Bluethner and 280VC and hadn't noticed the sostenuto and sustain pedals interacting. Can you give me an example?
I just tried the first bars of the Barcarolle with the 280VC and kept the sostenuto pedal through to the end while changing damper pedal throughout. (Sorry the recording is so bass-heavy and my playing so clunky):
https://soundcloud.com/user-203045683/barcarollesostenuto280vc

Jane

[Linked Image]

Hi.

I just discovered that in the new Pianoteq 7.5 update, this have changed in. If you set the MIDI dialect to Disklavier XP and press the key slowly so you produce value "damper position 127" there is now a soft note and not a silent keypress. This might be a bug and I will contact Modartt about it. If I get an answer I'll let you know.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
JaneF Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks, HZ.

So far I've gotten a few responses on Cantabile's user forum, but nothing that's worked.

I also downloaded a trial version of Bome MIDI Translator but in 45 minutes (punctuated by the demo timing out every 20 minutes) wasn't able to come up with a translation that works (trying the mapping to note-on velocity 1).

It's not a big deal. I was more curious about the different VST behavior, although it would be kind of nice to get it to work. Maybe someday whistle

BTW, I couldn't stand how hard I'd hit the opening octave in the VSL sostenuto pedal demo I posted yesterday for David Lai, so I killed that one and replaced with this:
https://soundcloud.com/user-203045683/barcarollesostenuto280vctake2 (still my clunky playing but not entirely drowned by that octave. And I don't think I'd particularly want to play the Barcarolle on the VSL 280VC anyway...)

Cheers,

Jane

JaneF #3178754 12/19/21 08:28 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Jane: do you use windows or macs? I have a custom tool that I programmed that may help you. It is windows only, though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission