2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (cauldron, Alex C, Burkey, BobTB, Burkhard, Animisha, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 663 guests, and 221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Tim and Bill
More wonderful additions to the X-Mas music thread. Thanks much 🎄🎄

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Bill, I loved the White Christmas! I should go to school on you and Rick smile

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tim, those were great! I had to go order a book by Tornquist!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
L
L
Continuing to enjoy the nice holiday music on this thread.

Bill - That was a very heartfelt rendition of White Christmas. I'd never heard the introductory section before and the mention of palm trees.

Tim - You're a treasure trove for introducing so many fine arrangers. Both of the Tornquist arrangements were truly beautiful and I also especially enjoyed the second, livelier of the two Wolaver arrangements.

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
HollyIvy/DrummerBoy -- Greer.

Here are two from Arranger #5 -- Bruce Greer. His arrangements straddle the line between Classical and Contemporary Pop, and are IMO rather mystical in feel, with inventive rhythmic alterations. "The Holly and the Ivy" and "The Little Drummer Boy" are good examples of his craft. Enjoy!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
HeIsBorn/DeckHalls -- Wilhelmi

Teresa Wilhelmi is Arranger #6 -- she has worked in the Pacific NW area for many years (Salem, OR, to be exact), and is predominantly known for her jazz stylings of many Christian hymns. Her treatments of "He Is Born, the Child Divine", and "Deck the Halls" are good examples. Enjoy!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
CribMedley -- Ham

Arranger #7 is Marilyn Ham, who typically writes in a virtuosic style. although this medley is quiet and contemplative in nature. She begins with the famous Brahms Lullaby, then the carol "O Little One, Sweet" which JS Bach set as a chorale, and finally "Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine". Enjoy!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
MaryKnow/GoTellIt -- Hammerly

Jim Hammerly is the 8th and last arranger I've featured -- like Bill Wolaver, Hammerly is a sophisticated "jazzer". Here are his settings for the contemporary carol "Mary, Did You Know?" and the traditional Spiritual "Go Tell It on the Mountain". Enjoy!

Last edited by Tim Adrianson; 12/16/21 07:49 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Sam, for opening this fantastic thread and for kicking off a real party of Christmas music. I knew Rickster, Bill and Tim already from the Piano Bar where they always posted great contributions. And I liked lilypad's swinging "Santa Baby" very much. So, this thread is a place to be for me, too. I have not recorded any Christmas tune this year, but last year I played this version of the Chestnut Song (Christmas roasting on an open fire) - or the other way round.

The Christmas Song (Tormé/Wells)

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Pianist685 - what a lush arrangement smile Nice.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
That was fantastic, Pianist685! Sounded much more like the real thing than my by-ear rendition!

But, hey, where you're a back-woods hillbilly piano player like me, you're a back-woods hillbilly piano player. smile

And, Tim Adrianson, your playing was great too, and I loved your nice selections! Lovely!

All the best, and Merry Christmas!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
N
N
Apologies, I had meant to post my Christmas music. I bought “A jazzy Christmas” which claimed to be suitable for Grade 5 pianists (RCM or ABRSM, I know not)

I committed to learning one piece to play at work, but it’s a bit beyond me. My teacher says it is close to Grade 7 - I assume they would sell less sheet music if they printed that. Currently, practicing 5 hours a day and can hack my way through it but realistically I’m one week short of being able to play it properly.

Loving the music that people have put on here. J

L
L
Tim - Loved your arrangements by Marilyn Ham and Jim Hammerly.

Pianist685 - Gorgeous version of the Christmas Song. I've been struggling with an arrangement that has similar lush sounding chords, but none of the beautiful fills.

Originally Posted by NordWest
Apologies, I had meant to post my Christmas music. I bought “A jazzy Christmas” which claimed to be suitable for Grade 5 pianists (RCM or ABRSM, I know not)

I committed to learning one piece to play at work, but it’s a bit beyond me. My teacher says it is close to Grade 7 - I assume they would sell less sheet music if they printed that.

NordWest - I have a few non-classical arrangement books that have arrangements within the same book that span from Grade 3 to Grade 6 according to the RCM Popular Selection List. Most of the Faber BigTime (Level 4) selections are listed at Grade 5 or Grade 6. Buyer beware, I guess. Record your piece when you finish it and save it for us for next year or even learn it again when the time comes. It should be easier by then.

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
L
L
Here are a couple of 'Easy Piano' arrangements from A Charlie Brown Christmas. Not without a few hesitations and mistakes, but the best recordings I'm likely to get.

The first one makes me think of the excitement I felt as a child as the big day approached. Christmas is Coming

I also really like the second one because I used to teach recreational ice skating on an outdoor rink during the winter.
Skating

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Thanks lilypad
Fun music, well played! Merry Christmas 🎄🎄

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pianist685 - terrific rendition of the Christmas Song. Cool arrangement and professional level performance. Well Done!

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
These are all great recordings! Our piano group had their Christmas meeting yesterday, and I got to hear Rick play in person, and Tootles and I played our piece. I even played while the group sang a hymn - that was tough! I know we still have a few days until Christmas, but today I put the holiday music on the shelf - until next year...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I really enjoyed your two "Charlie Brown" Christmas tunes, lilypad! You play exceptionally well, and your digital piano sounds great, and likely as good as I've ever heard a digital piano sound (Yamaha Clavinova?).

Wish I could play half as well! smile

Merry Christmas!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Originally Posted by Sam S
These are all great recordings! Our piano group had their Christmas meeting yesterday, and I got to hear Rick play in person, and Tootles and I played our piece. I even played while the group sang a hymn - that was tough! I know we still have a few days until Christmas, but today I put the holiday music on the shelf - until next year...

Sam

Hi Sam!

Again, the flip side of that is I got to hear you play in person as well, and it was a real treat! The hard work and dedication you've put into your piano training shows vividly, and has paid off for you. You played very well, and at an advanced level.

The other Piano Buddies played well too. Heck, the mere willingness to sit at the piano and play for a small audience is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Plus, the fellowship and comradery amongst fellow piano enthusiast was great! Thanks for hosting the event, and I look forward to next year, as well as next month! smile

Rick

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wonderful, lilypad, you are playing a whole tribute to Vince Guaraldi. I have seen "A Charlie Brown Christmas" several times. "Skating", of course, is a Charlie Brown classic I remember very well. And I liked the way Schroeder performed "Oh Tannenbaum".

The two duets by Sam and Tootles are really beautiful as well. I wonder if I have ever told that my second instrument was the clarinet, so I found these renditions particularly interesting. Most people are unaware that a wind instrument requires regular and frequent playing in order to train the muscles around the lips. The piano is much easier, you can pause for weeks, and then sit down and start playing immediately.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,757
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission