2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (beeboss, brdwyguy, anotherscott, BMKE, Auror, BobTB, AJB, 13 invisible), 5,546 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3177040 12/12/21 02:14 PM
C
chemy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and wish to pick your brains on the choice of DP.
I used to play the guitar and became really interested in classical music and piano playing since pandemic. I am currently at beginner level and wish to learn piano seriously and play classical repertoire/Jazz piano one day. After reading reviews online (and play a few), I am determined to get Kawai CA series and my budget is ~ $3000. In the US, put me around CA49/59. However, I discovered a CA95 seller who priced his DP at comparable price. In making my decision of which one to get, I was curious:
(1) How this out-dated premium DP compared to current mid-tier DPs in terms of actions and sound.
(2) How reliable CA95 is after years? Even though the seller describes it as barely used/as new, I did find a few posts here talking about sticky keys or dead CA95s.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by chemy
After reading reviews online (and play a few), I am determined to get Kawai CA series and my budget is ~ $3000. In the US, put me around CA49/59. However, I discovered a CA95 seller who priced his DP at comparable price

You might be surprised. Some of the dealers I talked to are now starting to contact me saying that the CA79 I was looking for is now in stock. But I'd already found and bought a new satin black CA99 (not a typo) for $4,500 including sales tax, which is 6% in their state.

The online price is usually called the MAP or Minimum Advertised Price. That's a contractual requirement where the manufacturer tells the dealer what the lowest price they can list online is, but they can sell it for less if contacted directly. That's why so many dealers list the same price.

The MSRP in the US for the CA99 in satin black is $6,700 and the MAP seems to be $5,600 yet I got it, without asking, for about $4,300 + sales tax.

The CA79/CA99 Grand Feel III action is really nice. The CA79 MAP looks to be about $1,400 less than the CA99. So if I got a CA99 for $4,300 plus tax, then you might be able to find a CA79 just over $3,000 if you ask.

Ray

Last edited by NXR; 12/12/21 05:33 PM.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
N
N
$3000. In the US, put me around CA49/59. However, I discovered a CA95 seller who priced his DP at comparable price
there is nothing wrong buying a CA95 today, if you know what you expect and the price is good. But $3000 isn't a good price at all...

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
> (2) How reliable CA95 is after years?

Look up the Kawai Grand Feel Key Clinic thread.

C
chemy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ray Thank you so much! I certainly didn't know that!

C
chemy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Nigo
$3000. In the US, put me around CA49/59. However, I discovered a CA95 seller who priced his DP at comparable price
there is nothing wrong buying a CA95 today, if you know what you expect and the price is good. But $3000 isn't a good price at all...

The price is $2000. I actually don't know if that is a great price for a 8-year-old flagship

M
M
The CA95
Try it out. If you like the touch and sound, the price is not that bad.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
N
NXR Offline
N
The price is $2000. I actually don't know if that is a great price for a 8-year-old flagship

It doesn't matter what the price is as long as you think it's a good value for you.

You definitely need to give it a good try yourself, though. Whatever the reputation is for that model pales in comparison to how the owner took care of it or (ab)used it. You could easily eat up the price difference in repairs and who knows how available the parts are? That's one reason I bought new, the 5-year warranty. Buy once, cry once.

Do you know why they are selling? That could be a clue. Maybe they upgraded or maybe they died and the kids are trying to dump it and it's been sitting in a damp basement for a year.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
C
chemy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by NXR

It doesn't matter what the price is as long as you think it's a good value for you.

You definitely need to give it a good try yourself, though. Whatever the reputation is for that model pales in comparison to how the owner took care of it or (ab)used it. You could easily eat up the price difference in repairs and who knows how available the parts are? That's one reason I bought new, the 5-year warranty. Buy once, cry once.

Do you know why they are selling? That could be a clue. Maybe they upgraded or maybe they died and the kids are trying to dump it and it's been sitting in a damp basement for a year.

I agree. The owner says they bought it for kid but kid never was interested and it became a furniture essentially. I will rethink the deal. Thanks again!

M
M
Just an afterthought

I picked up my CA67 for $1800 about five years ago. In Minnesota. The owner thought that was fair, and so did I. Excellent condition.

One day I might open it and see how the action is. There is a small pad with a plastic tape on it to raise the hammer. It is at the back end of the key. These have been known to slip a bit with heavy playing.

Were I to have the urge, and I mean The Urge, I would consider getting the correct felt and replace these pads. And maybe fiddle a bit with the Registration.

Here is an example of what can be done.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/7563cfd9d30...548C&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Squeaky sustain pedal
by L i n u s - 07/05/22 05:14 AM
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,805
Posts3,205,468
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission