2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Dariusz D, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, Boboulus, CentauriB, Deltajockey, AprilE, An Old Square, 9 invisible), 822 guests, and 483 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hello all!

I've dusted off Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 I learned years ago when I was much less attentive to the musical text and this time around it struck me I've been playing some things mimicking the performances I enjoyed instead of giving them proper thought.

I've compared several editions hoping I might find a clue there, but I didn't. In the second section of the polonaise, there is a chordal section with all chords marked with staccato.

[Linked Image]

However, when I listen to different performances, the chords written as crochets (marked in green) are often played non-staccato, or at least they are held for considerably longer, giving a sense of landing on them as a foundation.

Why is that, according to how it's written? Is it because, even though all chords are marked staccato, the length of how they are articulated is proportional to the note value?

My intuition tells me to articulate them slightly differently, granted their place in a musical phrase, but keep them short and lifted. That's also how my teacher expects me to approach them. That's not what I hear in the recordings though. Let ma take Ashkenazy's rendition as an example:

(starts around 1:25)

I would appreciate any insight in how to interpret the markings here properly.

Thanks!

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
(Hello!) smile

Great that you're noticing this. I don't think I ever did.

I see other aspects of the staccatos that are even more striking: The main surprise to me is that in the 16th note figures, the first 2 notes are not slurred; they're staccatos. I've always played them as though they're slurred, which I'd say is the usual/natural way to play such a figure.

To me that's the bigger clue about the notation of the passage, including that it informs us about the chords you're talking about. Assuming that these things aren't found differently in different editions, I'd have to assume that Chopin is telling us that this section has a light touch everywhere and that it's not to be played 'lyrically' -- which would include that those chords should be just short.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Musical notation is something that is imprecise in the sense that there are a limited number of sign and the actual possibilities to play them are numerous. So a staccato sign can mean a number of different things depending on the context and the actual duration can also vary from a sharp attack to a mild shortening.

For example at the beginning of the piece, Chopin put a staccato mark on all the repeated chords and yet he also indicated a pedal over them; obviously then the duration is not the objective. So what do you think it means ?

My suggestion is to interpret the sign in relation to the way it makes sense in terms of phrasing. For example the first quarter (crotchet) in bar 21 and 23 are anyway followed by an 8th rest, so obviously Chopin meant something else than duration here. It is to be interpreted within the musical phrase. With the pp notation, the sign is IMO meant for a lightness of touch, with the duration to be adjusted as needed. I would definitely play the quarter with a certain insistence and with full duration. The first one in bar 21 is opening the section and I wouldnt play it too short. The second one in bar 23 is ending the phrase, so similarly I would give it near or full duration.

On the other hand in bar 22 and 24, I could slightly shorten the first 8th to separate it out from the rest. I think you need to test the result and adopt what makes sense to you.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I think you need to test the result and adopt what makes sense to you.
Excellent suggestion. I listened to several recordings of this work last night on YouTube by artists including Rubenstein, Pollini, Kissin, etc. and that's apparently the conclusion they all arrived at. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Mati Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks! It seems I put too much attention into treating those articulation markings very literally. What you say is what I did when learning the piece some time ago, and also what feels intuitively right. Listening to many pianists who are considered very knowledgeable Chopin interpreters also gives a good idea about a degree of freedom here which is still within musical taste in accordance to the text.

I feel quite reassured with your comments ☺

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,727
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission