2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (Calavera, curates_egg, blueviewlaguna., brennbaer, CraiginNZ, bimzdbear, Amelia Squires, 5 invisible), 949 guests, and 536 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3175570 12/07/21 12:07 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Greetings all,
It seems that someone talked about the possibility that the es920 production line has been stopped.
Do you have some news about that?
Is that the consequences of chip shortage (in that case is it only this DP?) Of possible upgrade of some parts? Will it be definitive? Will it impact the software upgrade (if the production is stopped, may be Kawai won't have any interest to upgrade the software).

Thanks in advance

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
N
NXR Offline
N
I only "know" what I've read here and in a few other places. Supposedly the production is "paused" until mid-2022. Until someone authoritative says something officially any reasons tossed around are all just speculation.

It could be:

- A shortage of parts used in the ES920 and also in other better-selling, more profitable products forced Kawai to choose one product over the other.

- Production problems due to people shortages, equipment malfunctions, or even volcanos in Indonesia have impacted ES920 production.

- Production problems due to <insert favorite reason> forced Kawai to shift production resources away from the ES920 to the product lines having the problems to maintain their production rates.

- Anything else you could think of.

I used to work for a manufacturer and the number of things that could impact production schedules is very large. Sometimes we, too, were forced to re-allocate resources from one product line to another for really odd reasons. Those decisions are never taken lightly and serving the maximum number of customers as opposed to a smaller number was always a consideration.

I wouldn't worry about not getting new firmware updates. Heck, I have products that have never had an update since the original release simply because they did not need it.

If there are defects you're seeing and you have not already done so, consider listing the specifics in a post here. If possible, list the exact sequence of steps to make the defect appear. That ALWAYS gets things fixed faster.

Kawai James seems very diligent in getting those issues to the people that need to see them. Heck, Kawai James being such a long-term presence here was a factor in my deciding to purchase a Kawai product. Even though his presence probably is "semi-official" it's clear that Kawai is happy with his efforts on behalf of their customers and so am I.

Ray

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you NXR for your explanations. They seem quite coherent with possible reasons for stopping a production line.
However that would be nice if Kawai James could give us some insights...
On the other hand, having a DP in a close number (only one year of production) will increase its value....... Well it costs nothing to dream.....

So far I had no problem with it and the software is working fine, but if Kawai update stuffs in Ca49 59, I hope they will do it also with the ES....

B
Online Content
B
Man..
I'm so happy that i bought my FP-90X at the first opportunity when they came out early this year...

P
OP Offline
P
FP-90X must be a nice DP too. When I was looking for a DP last year, there was only the FP-90 (not the X), P515 and the new ES-920. I liked the 3 but I choose the Kawai for the sounds, keys and because it was new. We enjoy it a lot during this year and I would buy it again.
But it is a pity to learn that they stopped producing it.... hopefully it is because of shortage

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by playplayplay
It seems that someone talked about the possibility that the es920 production line has been stopped.
Do you have some news about that?

Thanks in advance

Playplayplay, season’s greetings to you ! ✨
No offense intended. You offered a very telling albeit “loaded” question, for which i offer a sincere albeit loaded answer 🙂

On the one hand - sometimes speculation can be good because there often is otherwise little or nothing else of bonafide fact to go on - do you have a citation or reference to “ .... somebody talked about a possibility”? - but on the other hand, this could be just another spin on ‘my cousin vinnie’s’ timely observation “do the laws of grits physics cease to exist in your kitchen?”

As to the former, further speculation is required to adequately clarify what or who is an authoritative source for any such matters despite the usual what/who suspects that come directly and indirectly by way of “news reporting”. As to the latter, if (operative word) ES920 production has been halted due to the usual suspects - chip shortage .... the canal .... the virus - is there any reason good/bad/indifferent for nearly every other retail appliance built with chips, to include DPs, not having production halted?

Last edited by drewr; 12/07/21 01:41 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
OP Offline
P
Don't worry Drewr, there is no offense.
It does not come from my cousin or someone in the street, but from this forum.
A message from Pachi in the ES920 thread. Maybe you didn't see it.

Originally Posted by Pachi
EDIT: Actually, nevermind on the second question. Sweetwater confirmed what the Kawai sales rep told me (which I didn't take at face value the first time I heard it). Kawai has suspended the making of this piano until July of next year 2022.

I asked back there but get no response or insights (Kawai James??), that is why I started a new one.
It should have to do with the chip shortages but since we have seen some users of this DP saying that they have speakers issues, I thought it could be related too.

My ES920 was from one of the first batchs and I did not have any issue with it. That is why I am asking

Last edited by playplayplay; 12/07/21 02:10 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Upon further review, it is more likely that ES920s and nearly all other new electric and or electronic devices ordered but delayed in delivery for many months on end, is not presently due to a shortage of chips but is instead due to a shortage unloaded ships which might be better characterized as a glut of loaded ships.

There’s recently been seemingly credible visual evidence of many dozens of cargo ships parked just off shore of the world’s largest ports, loaded with many thousands of containers containing many millions of tons of goods.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
OP Offline
P
@drewr may be.... Between chips and ships there is only one letter difference....

But it does not say much about Sweetwater confirming to Pachi what a Kawai sales Rep told him.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I got an email from Kawai, saying it’s chip shortage

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
N
NXR Offline
N
Originally Posted by Jitin
I got an email from Kawai, saying it’s chip shortage

Gees, almost every time I drop something it knocks a few chips off the case. What's so hard about doing that? smile

On a more serious note, a local Casio dealer told me that the reason Casio is still producing normally is because their integrated circuits ("chips") are made in Japan by themselves. I doubt that's true for the commodity parts but maybe.

Last edited by NXR; 12/07/21 03:08 PM.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
P
OP Offline
P
@NXR laugh peoples are eating too much fish&chips recently, and this could explain that...... wink

You are right about Casio, that is part of their know hows

Nevertheless, if this is the true reason, then I do think that Kawai will pursue their work on software updates for this DP (if needed)

Last edited by playplayplay; 12/07/21 03:14 PM.

P
OP Offline
P
@Jitin thank you.... You are right, sometimes it is easier to go directly to the source.....

R
R
I just came to the forum for information on this issue. Just ran int this:

“Kawai has temporarily suspended production on this piano until July 2022. Sweetwater expects this piano to be available some time in late Q3 2022.”

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ES920--kawai-es920-88-key-digital-piano-black

So, that’s Sweetwater, but Kraft says it expects ES920 product before January.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,727
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission