2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (andrea83, cygnusdei, AndyG123, Cutec, Coda9, curates_egg, Calavera, blueviewlaguna., brennbaer, 9 invisible), 971 guests, and 507 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Online Content
D
Just received my Roland FP-30X as an upgrade to my FP-30. Played both units side by side at 100% volume and noticed that the FP-30 is noticeably louder. The piano sound from FP-30x is more pleasant and subtle but lacks the extra presence/punch that the FP-30 delivers.
Even while placing each piano in the same stand, in the same place, to make sure wall reverberation is similar, and the difference is noticeable the difference is noticeable.
Tested even with fixed velocity to make sure it was not related to different velocity curves.
From what I've seen in reviews it should be the opposite (the sound from FP-30x speakers should be better), even both having 2x11W.
Anybody in the forum shares the same experience?
Thanks!

Last edited by DPAfficionado; 12/06/21 02:33 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you tried doing a side-by-side comparison of Piano Designer settings?

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
D
OP Online Content
D
Played a little with the Piano Designer on the FP-30X but piano designer is not supported by the FP-30. From the old generation, only FP-60 and FP-90 are supported.

P
P
Have you tried a factory reset? When you play a demo song is there a difference in volume?

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
Hi there I have a FP30X and the sound level seems ok compared to my old FP30 which I no longer have so I can not test. I tend to play at night so use my headphones more than the speakers. Something I have found though is if you set the keyboard touch up to harder the keyboard loses some volume on my headphones. Sorry but did not check if it’s the same with speakers but it might be worth a try.

Piano:Roland FP30X
Casio CT-S1WE
Arranger: Yamaha PSRS970.
Plus Native instruments VST Noire etc.
On my (Yamaha) DP voice volume is set to a default 100 of a possible 127. Maybe worth checking the voice volume settings on your new Roland?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Having taken a quick look at both FP30 and FP30x manuals, i only see 3 settings that could produce higher or lower volume: key touch, ambiance and brilliance.

You might try different key touch settings other than default or fixed options. I expect setting to a lighter touch to make it easier to produce louder sound but then the question is - does this upset your preference/style of how much force you use for pressing the keys.

I guess the 30X does not allow you to adjust any of the various advanced settings such as the different kinds of resonances, hammer noise, damper noise, etc. but these are probably not related to what you are hearing.

Do both seem to produce equal or different volume through headphones?

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
P
With the Fp-30x you have to use the piano designer app to get access to the advanced settings, resonance etc.

You should check that the per note volume is set to max for each key in piano designer.

The other advanced settings, resonance, hammer noise have limited impact on volume.

On the fp-60x and fp-90x low volume is a common complaint because there are three volume controls, one master volume and one each for two layers or a split keyboard. This second often gets moved.

The fp-30x doesn’t have that function but it does have a relative control for layers or splits. So it is possible that is an issue. That can be accessed through the keyboard.

It was why I suggested a reset as it should also take care of any per note volume setting.

There is a piano every day app that gives you access to control other settings and the tones.

This is not the cleanest way of doing things but that is the way it is.

Good luck!

FP-90x, PX-330
D
OP Online Content
D
The problem is solved.
As a reference here is what I did:
1. Did a Factory reset.
2. Connected a midi controller software to set part volume, expression and even master volume (SysEx) but all controls were already at max level.

Then, while playing I noticed that the piano was a little louder. To be sure my ears were not misleading me, checked the sound level with a sound meter app and got the same dB level from both FP-30 and FP-30x. (Smartphone with the meter app always in the same place while and both pianos in the same stand, one at a time)

Now, when playing with headphones, I cannot keep the volume at the max level as it is now too loud for my ears. Before, I kept it at max level and it was comfortable.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It really helped!

P
P
Glad you got it working! cool

FP-90x, PX-330
L
L
Pleased you have sorted the problem, I had a problem with the tuning and a reset for me did not help. If you have a suitable device the Piano Designer app is well worth getting, it helped me sort my problem.

Piano:Roland FP30X
Casio CT-S1WE
Arranger: Yamaha PSRS970.
Plus Native instruments VST Noire etc.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Play drums on Kawai es920
by scambias - 01/25/22 03:36 AM
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,739
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission