2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3174463 12/01/21 04:19 PM
W
wg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I’m just curious if anyone has difficulty talking while playing. I play mostly classical and I have a hard time talking to someone nearby if I’m playing the piano.

And I’m referring to the motor aspect of it - not that I’m “wrapped up” in the music.

Last edited by wg73; 12/01/21 04:20 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Of course it's hard. It probably is for anyone tbh.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If it's a piece I can play easily from memory, I can chat while playing. I've taken requests, posed for photos, discussed quantum mechanics (OK, maybe not) while playing on public pianos this way.

It's an important aspect of multi-tasking that all classical pianists must master wink .

If music be the food of love, play on!
Totally!!!

I mean, I can do it, but not well. grin

D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
I'm with Bennevis - if it is something I know well, i can talk. Usually, though, I'm very wrapped up in interpreting the music and if someone talks to me I really can lose my moment and then it's no good.

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
One of my teachers used this as an aid to memorization. Assign a label to a spot where you are having difficulty, something easy that you can say out loud. As easy as "Db". Then, just before you get there and have to play the Db, say out loud "Db!". Of course, I couldn't do it at first, but after some practice I could manage it. That's not the same as carrying on a conversation though.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
I cheat and I write those things by the notes - usually only when they are so far above or below the staves that it's hard to see the difference sometimes between a high "A" or "C" or even "E" sometimes depending on the quality of the printed score. Especially if there's a big jump (like in Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Ave Maria)

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I can talk while playing as well, but my accuracy suffers a bit and it usually only works when I'm playing pieces below my skill level. Also, the conversation needs to be fairly simple. I could talk about a piece or ask for requests, or maybe some kind of small talk but that's about it.

I drive my wife crazy, as I play the piano, listen to the news on TV and talk to her, she turns off the TV and I respond “Hey, I am listening to it.”

This not a skill worth developing. Maybe if you want to sing along with your music.

Read the “Piano Girl” book. I am pretty sure she can do this.

I have seen a youtube video of Lady Gaga playing while talking to the audience.

Since this is a classical forum, to avoid being shamed, I only listen to classical news and I bet Lady Gaga can play classical music.

The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!
Tom Hanks
B
B
Originally Posted by Panama
This not a skill worth developing. Maybe if you want to sing along with your music.
I do want to sing along with music. Schubert's music, principally.

Here, have a go at this one - the piano part is easy enough to sight-read, and the tessitura of the vocal part is quite reasonable (and again, easy to sight-sing):

I bet Lady Gaga can play classical music.
Of course she can wink :

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Singing along with vocal music while playing is a good skill that I'd like to get better at. But IMO people should not expect to carry on a conversation with a pianist playing classical music. They're supposed to be listening! smile

1989 Baldwin R
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Off on a tangent, but still related to the OP, I think - here is an amusing and clever piece in which a bass player is required to read text while playing -

W
wg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Great video! This captures exactly what I am referring to. Thanks!

So I know I'm not alone lol.

W
wg73 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by bennevis

Here, have a go at this one - the piano part is easy enough to sight-read, and the tessitura of the vocal part is quite reasonable (and again, easy to sight-sing):

Of course she can wink :

Speaking of pop artists, I've dabbled in Tori Amos' music, and some of her vocal lines are above a pretty difficult and non-similar piano accompaniment (more than just Alberti bass or something), yet she pulls it off effortlessly. To me this is similar to trying to speak while playing.

Maybe you just have a knack for it?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by wg73
Originally Posted by bennevis

Of course she can wink :

Speaking of pop artists, I've dabbled in Tori Amos' music, and some of her vocal lines are above a pretty difficult and non-similar piano accompaniment (more than just Alberti bass or something), yet she pulls it off effortlessly. To me this is similar to trying to speak while playing.

Maybe you just have a knack for it?
This is one of the reasons I was impressed by Tom Lehrer.

Online Content
Talking, as in having a random conversation,while playing the piano is very different from playing a song and singling along. My guess is far more people can do the second which I think is extremely easy unless one is playing a very difficult song accompaniment. The singing and music go together naturally.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Talking, as in having a random conversation,while playing the piano is very different from playing a song and singing along. My guess is far more people can do the second which I think is extremely easy unless one is playing a very difficult song accompaniment. The singing and music go together naturally.

++

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wg73
I’m just curious if anyone has difficulty talking while playing. I play mostly classical and I have a hard time talking to someone nearby if I’m playing the piano.

And I’m referring to the motor aspect of it - not that I’m “wrapped up” in the music.

When I am playing the piano I need to apply 100% concentration. If somebody converses with me, some of that 100% is used up in talking. The result is - depending on my ability with the piece - that I play less well, or possibly break down altogether.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission