2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Cutec, Coda9, curates_egg, cygnusdei, Calavera, blueviewlaguna., brennbaer, 7 invisible), 968 guests, and 522 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3174876 12/03/21 01:14 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone, I have bought one of these after reading good reviews all over the place. I do not like the touch of the keys, to me certain keys same to be sharper/louder than others in my case it is C4. I have sold my FP30 and that keyboard did not have the same problem, I am regretting buying the FP30X now. I bought the keyboard without trying one in a shop which is my fault, that is a lesson learned. I took the keyboard back to the shop and they told me there was nothing wrong with it, that was about two weeks ago.I bought the piano a month ago. I have updated the firmware to the latest version and have tried various changing various settings. I usually play the keyboard using the mellow piano sound, and made key touch hard which reduces the problem but also reduces the volume to my headphones. The beginning of this week I found a store that had stock so I went and they had a demo keyboard. I tried that piano and it had the same touch problem has mine but on different keys. Not sure what to do now, if I had played this keyboard before buying I would not have bought it. I have been back to the shop again today but they are not interested, they would only give me just over half price even if I bought something else like a Kawai ES920 which is twice the price. The problem that I have might be something to do with the stretch tuning, I have read a excellent review by AZ reviews online, wish I had read that too before buying.

Last edited by lilchris; 12/03/21 01:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Piano:Roland FP30X
Casio CT-S1WE
Arranger: Yamaha PSRS970.
Plus Native instruments VST Noire etc.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, it seems to me that this company, if not others, has made a semi-serious attempt to produce an acoustic sounding piano to emulate, or rival, in part at least, the joys - and tribulations - of owning an acoustic.
The notes of such as you'll be aware, can never be 100% even volume (not allowing for room resonance etc) even in these enightened times nor be 100% in tune. The unisons, attack speed, hardness of hammer - these are all variables and piano tuners/technicians are only human.
My digital once had a squeaky pedal, which was, too, a very nice touch.
It might be figured, (or conjected) that the three top dogs have all designated upgrades to their digitals with an "X" suffix, so that proves I'm right.
In nine months time, you might detect an automatic deteriaration in the tone; (it's slipping out of tune, don't worry) and one of the virtual tuning pins may less resistant to this then the others.
A digital piano technician will gladly restore this back to almost "as new" condition. For a small sum.
The good news is your instrument is unlikely to develop woodworm.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
OP Offline
L
Well a update, tonight I tried the Roland app “Piano Designer” and I have managed to de tune the offending notes to a level that suits me, so that will do me for now. At least now I might enjoy playing the piano, what was spoiling it for me was trying to play those certain notes more gently, now I can concentrate on learning new pieces. Has I have said in one of the other posts I am still a beginner…lol. Chris.

Casio CT-S1WE
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Have you tried using quality headphones, do you get the same problem keys? If not, the problem may be due to random resonances of the built-in speakers or the housing. Mind speakers are rather crap-level in this range, still a long way from good in the FP90.

P
P
I noticed quite a variation in volume between keys on my fp-90x. I didn’t realize there are keys that are actually quiet too. You probably don’t even notice those.

I used a sound pressure level app connected to the usb audio interface and regulated the entire keyboard.

I also tuned it.

I suppose Roland is trying to make the piano more realistic.

FP-90x, PX-330
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Purdy
I noticed quite a variation in volume between keys on my fp-90x. I didn’t realize there are keys that are actually quiet too. You probably don’t even notice those.

I used a sound pressure level app connected to the usb audio interface and regulated the entire keyboard.

I also tuned it.

I suppose Roland is trying to make the piano more realistic.
You might be correct about that, I never noticed there might be quiet keys too.

Quote=_sem_]Have you tried using quality headphones, do you get the same problem keys? If not, the problem may be due to random resonances of the built-in speakers or the housing. Mind speakers are rather crap-level in this range, still a long way from good in the FP90.[/quote]

I am using Sony head phones,I usually play more at night so use head phones most of the time. I also have a pair of KRK 8400 headphones. The impedance on these two sets of headphones is different but it does not seem to make any difference in the volume which surprised me. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5's connected through a Native sound interface connected to my computer so I can play with vst's if I wish through the speakers. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by lilchris; 12/03/21 07:42 PM.

Casio CT-S1WE
B
B
I had exactly the same experience with my fp-90, and ended up softening the offending notes through use of the piano designer. There are still some shrill-sounding notes in the higher octaves, but overall, the notes are now pretty even. Interestingly, when I shopped for digitals several years ago, I found that this problem existed on the floor models of all brands -- Yamaha in particular. The Roland seemed less afflicted, but when I got mine home, the problem reared its head in a big way, and it was a few weeks before I adjusted the keys to my satisfaction. High-quality headphones produce a much sweeter sound than the on-board speakers but cannot cure shrill-sounding notes. You have to go through the adjustments. Glad you found your way to this.

Roland fp90, Beyerdynamic dt880, Sennheiser hd600, Schiit Asgard III, Becker Brothers upright (1906).
P
P
Here are my stretch tuning and volume curves from the fp-90x

I first went through and thought I would just reduce the loud note and then realized there are note that are quiet.

So I moved all of the notes to 25 on the volume (1-50) scale and went through it.

Also the default stretch tuning is a little sharp in the upper middle register and also somewhat random as there are some out of tune keys,

[Linked Image]

FP-90x, PX-330
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for your replies and tips. One of the reasons for buying the FP30X is weight, I would have loved to buy the FP90X but is is considerably heavier and I have my Piano in my loft room den. I am a lot happier now with the sounds after using the piano designer app but I feel for anyone who buys one of these pianos who does not have a device you can use the app. Everything these days is moving towards going on line for example and there are still people out there who do not use the internet, I suppose that’s what they call progress. Chris.

Casio CT-S1WE
L
OP Offline
L
Just a quick addition to this post, something that has been annoying me is the lack of product knowledge from the dealer I bought it from, they were of no help whatsoever. I will be avoiding this dealer in future the trouble is they are a big chain so maybe I will go to a different branch.
The good news is at least I am happy with the piano now I know it’s not faulty, thanks again for the replies. Chris

Casio CT-S1WE
P
P
Thanks for your replies and tips. One of the reasons for buying the FP30X is weight, I would have loved to buy the FP90X but is is considerably heavier

Just to be clear, I was showing the per key loudness settings for the fp-90x to show there is fair amount of variation beyond just a loud or two.

I assume that applies through out the fp-x range.

The digital pianos offer so many options it is not surprising that dealers don’t always know everything.

Glad you got it sorted out to your satisfaction.

FP-90x, PX-330

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,736
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission