2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Coda9, Calavera, curates_egg, blueviewlaguna., brennbaer, CraiginNZ, bimzdbear, Amelia Squires, 5 invisible), 952 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
I recently purchased a Kawai CA49 because of the suspension in making the ES920 and I'm unhappy. The CA49 only has a headphone output and I tried to connect it to a pair of Tannoy Reveals (actually bought ADAM T7s for the studio so I could use the Tannoys for the piano) using a TRS adapter cable and got a tsunami of hum. The internal speakers of the Kawai are only okay but I'm left wondering how to get pro quality output from this thing to feed my recording system. Yes, I have plenty of piano VIs (Garritan and Simple Sam being my faves) but I want to be able to hear and record the SK and EX Concert Grands. Is there a way?

Last edited by Steve Chandler; 12/03/21 12:21 PM.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
G
G
Ground loop isolator will help against hum

keep calm and play the piano :-)
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
You probably knew the CA49 didn't have a line-out when you bought it? This is hacking ground.
A bit of extra noise is unavoidable, unless you find the line signals before the phones amp and lead them to additional line-out sockets.
A ground loop isolator may indeed help.
Firstly try powering the piano and the speakers from the same wall socket, and disconnecting other electrical gadgets that might be causing hum one by one.
In studios sometimes extra fat conductors are used to connect the grounds of connected devices. Are the speakers and the piano connected to ground or floating?
There is more than one possible wiring for the adapter cable if the speakers have differential input.

S
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by _sem_
You probably knew the CA49 didn't have a line-out when you bought it? This is hacking ground.
A bit of extra noise is unavoidable, unless you find the line signals before the phones amp and lead them to additional line-out sockets.
A ground loop isolator may indeed help.
Firstly try powering the piano and the speakers from the same wall socket, and disconnecting other electrical gadgets that might be causing hum one by one.
In studios sometimes extra fat conductors are used to connect the grounds of connected devices. Are the speakers and the piano connected to ground or floating?
There is more than one possible wiring for the adapter cable if the speakers have differential input.
Thanks for your suggestions.

No I didn't know the CA49 didn't have line outputs. I should call my guy at Sweetwater and bitch him out. It was offered as substitute for the ES920 once that had been temporarily discontinued. I'm not going to try to access the line signals before the headphones amplifier as opening the case would void the warranty. At this point (now that I've called Sweetwater) they're sending me a cable that will split the headphone output to two unbalanced plugs and we'll see if that works. Your advice to plug everything into one power strip seemed to solve the hum problem, but only one channel worked. I then verified the headphone output functioned properly (it does), so I'm left waiting for a cable. FYI, the speakers (Tannoy Reveals) power input is two phase (no separate ground).

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
> I'm not going to try to access the line signals before the headphones amplifier as opening the case would void the warranty.

Opening the case doesn't void warranty unless you break something. It is less likely to add line-out without leaving traces.
Yes you sure need a splitting cable, phones-out is sort of unbalanced stereo.

Tog Offline
Hi Steve,

The provision of line in and out connections is one of the principal differences between the CA59 and it's simplified sibling the CA49. So if you can afford the extra outlay I would suggest you consider upgrading.

Regards,

Tog

Standard: Absolute beginner. Currently butchering Bach BWV846!
Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,727
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission