2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Dariusz D, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, Boboulus, CentauriB, Deltajockey, AprilE, An Old Square, 9 invisible), 814 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Online Content
Thanks for posting this. It's ingenious, clever, delightful. We could say it sounds 'contrived' (and in a number of places I can't identify which etude is being channeled), but heck, it's a wonderful idea, and a delight.

BTW, there's one spot where he seems to be channeling a Ballade. smile

......and then a Sonata. ha

.....and maybe other things too -- can't 'place' everything immediately...

Last edited by Mark_C; 12/01/21 05:21 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow - very clever. I would need to go back and listen a little more attentively to see if he got all the etudes in there, but sounds like he hit just about all of them... And major props to the pianist - any one of the etudes are really hard, to do snippets from all of them in modified form for the tune - very impressive...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8ude
I would need to go back and listen a little more attentively to see if he got all the etudes in there, but sounds like he hit just about all of them.

He did! Here's the sequence:

10/1, 10/2, 10/4, 25/3 (a blink and you'll miss it), 10/5, 25/9, 10/3, 10/10, 25/8, 10/6, 25/5, 10/9, 10/7, 25/2, 25/5 (middle section), 25/6, 26/7, 25/4, 25/11, 25/1, 10/12, 25/10, 25/12, 10/8, 10/11

He then launches into the grand finale with the opening chords of Sonata 3/III and riffs briefly on numerous etudes once again, throwing in a passage from the Polonaise Op. 53 and two other Chopin works that I recognized but couldn't identify on the spot (maybe someone else can). One major omission: I didn't hear any references to the "3 nouvelles etudes" from the Méthode des Méthodes, though it's possible I may have just missed them.

I think this is marvelous, with some moments of pure genius. Way more than superficial humor, though there is plenty of humor throughout. But his transformation of Op. 15 No. 1, with the left hand contrapuntal fragments derived from the source, is spectacularly ingenious IMO. And there are two striking transitions that stand out to me: from 10/12 to 25/10 and then 10/8 to 10/11. The imaginativeness of the latter is simply breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing this pianoloverus. 15 minutes of pure musical fun and edification!

SRF
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Hm, I missed that, unless it was a very brief reference to the 2nd ballade. Can you give us the time in the video where you heard it? You're definitely right about the sonata, and yes there were other pieces, including Op. 53 and some more that I couldn't name.

SRF
Online Content
Originally Posted by SiFi

Hm, I missed that, unless it was a very brief reference to the 2nd ballade. Can you give us the time in the video where you heard it?

7:01

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Amazing!!! And all recorded on his iPhone 6 🤣
Check out his YouTube channel: a duet with his very talented wife, and an opera composed to honor the healthcare workers of COVID-19.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi

Hm, I missed that, unless it was a very brief reference to the 2nd ballade. Can you give us the time in the video where you heard it?

7:01

Ah, so you thought it was two bars from the second ballade also and yes, I think we're both right!

SRF
J
J
Hey all. I wanted to thank you for the kind comments on this video. Mark C: thanks for the message on YouTube. It wouldn’t allow me to reply to it. I’m grateful you told me about this link.

The five pieces, other than the 24 studies, are:

The two bars from the 2nd Ballade
4th movement from 3rd sonata (transposed)
Octave bit from Heroic Polonaise
Opening bars of the Bolero
Chromatic run from Andante Spinato and Grand Polonaise

The last two happen right before the end. I was going to include the three other studies but then it started to get too long. I’m so glad you all enjoyed it and I’m grateful for the nice comments.

I did this other video during the pandemic that you may find fun. I guess I had time to kill during that time of solitude….

And, if you want to hear another rendition of this piece, check out my friend Joanne Polk, who recorded it on the Steinway label and who also recently released another album of some of my original compositions.

https://www.steinway.com/music-and-...piano-music-of-david-shenton-joanne-polk

Cheers to you all. And happy holidays! 🎄

dS

J
J
Sorry. Here’s Joanne’s link:

Online Content
Great to have you here!!!

BTW, unrelated thing: I haven't come across any mention of Sunnyside, NY in years. I'm from Queens and back in the day, it was well known to many of us, including for its sports arena. I imagine that this was so far before your time that you might even not have heard of it!

More relevantly: It's terrific what you did with this song.

J
J
Ha. Thanks. You are too kind.

I actually live across from a Wendy’s restaurant and there’s a plaque outside stating that as the location of the old arena. And I know many people who used to go and watch the boxing there. Famous musicians from sunnyside are Perry Como and Judy Holiday. And Bix Beiderbecke died here less than a month after moving to Sunnyside. So there is a Bix festival that I helped organise for about 8 years. Good times!!!

Online Content
BTW, per your user name:
You mean you're mainly a JAZZ guy??

(Hope it's not slandering the field to be thinking it's unusual for a jazz guy to be able to play Chopin Etudes like that!!)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzpiano1975
Hey all. I wanted to thank you for the kind comments on this video. Mark C: thanks for the message on YouTube. It wouldn’t allow me to reply to it. I’m grateful you told me about this link.

The five pieces, other than the 24 studies, are:

The two bars from the 2nd Ballade
4th movement from 3rd sonata (transposed)
Octave bit from Heroic Polonaise
Opening bars of the Bolero
Chromatic run from Andante Spinato and Grand Polonaise

The last two happen right before the end. I was going to include the three other studies but then it started to get too long. I’m so glad you all enjoyed it and I’m grateful for the nice comments.

Hi jazzpiano1975! I'm the person who purchased the sheet music for the etude variations. I was just about to respond to your email and give you the link to this thread, but I see Mark beat me to it. Great that you've joined us!

I'm happy to see that I got more than 50% of the non-etude material right. The only one I missed completely was the Bolero. I recognized the moment from the Grand Polonaise but couldn't quite place it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this, as you can probably tell. Looking forward to hearing more of your work.

SRF
J
J
Thanks for the question! I started off as a concert violinist but switched to piano after an accident. I started violin at the age of 7, piano at 13. My training was always classical. I taught myself jazz later in life. The moniker “jazz piano” was formed after I released a jazz album. I don’t really consider myself a jazz pianist, though some people think that’s all I do. I’d much rather play classical music. For me (and as Denis Matsuev stated); classical is my wife, jazz my mistress! Haha!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,726
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission