2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
I have released PiaTune version 4.7 (iOS).

Ron did you have a chance to try the app?

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I have not. I'm into the busy tuning season... So no time to experiment. After Christmas I should have more time.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

W
W
I see that it supports non-equal temperaments but what is the tuning sequence? The default sequence for equal temperament doesn't make sense to me as a basis for tuning something else. Do you have to go through the entire equal temperament sequence and then go back and modify everything?

Richard Wright
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
The tuning sequence for non-equal temperaments is the same.

You only need to tune once and there is no need for a second modification.

The notes are adjusted for non-equal temperament by using offsets automatically as you proceed.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
It would make more sense for many long-time ETD users to just do a measuring pass in chromatic order for the notes that are usually governed by the tuning sequence in the midrange. Then start tuning...

Of course, we can just go through the tuning sequence without tuning to treat it as a measuring pass, it just requires more jumping around.

Ron Koval

www.ronkoval.com

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by RonTuner
It would make more sense for many long-time ETD users to just do a measuring pass in chromatic order for the notes that are usually governed by the tuning sequence in the midrange. Then start tuning...

Of course, we can just go through the tuning sequence without tuning to treat it as a measuring pass, it just requires more jumping around.

Ron Koval

Ron,

Is this related to the non-equal temperament discussion above, or is it a general suggestion?

W
W
I would think that once the inharmonicity of all the temperament notes were measured the program would be able to programmatically go through the tuning sequence to create the optimal tuning. Then the tuner would only need to tune those notes once and they could be tuned in any order (normally chromatically). Unless very far off pitch, I can't imagine that the inharmonicity would change significantly enough to change the ultimate calculation.

Richard Wright
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ron, Richard,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I might add a new setting in tuning preferences to select whether new tunings start with the current Temperament Mode (default) or a Measurement Mode (Meas. Mode). This setting might be set once and stay set until next change.

If set to Measurement Mode, all notes from F3 to A4 will be required to be measured chromatically staring with F3.
This time the suffix next to note name might be "(meas.)" to denote that it is neither (rough) or (fine) tuning of the current note but just a measurement.

Then notes from A4 to F3 can be tuned chromatically (or in any order)

The remaining notes can be expanded chromatically towards bass and treble (as it is now)

Please let me know if such a change would be okay for you.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
Originally Posted by RonTuner

Ron Koval

Ron,

Is this related to the non-equal temperament discussion above, or is it a general suggestion?

No, just general. Although I bet if I stepped through your sequence a number of times it would become easier...

Ron Koval

www.ronkoval.com

Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hakki
I might add a new setting in tuning preferences to select whether new tunings start with the current Temperament Mode (default) or a Measurement Mode (Meas. Mode). This setting might be set once and stay set until next change.

If set to Measurement Mode, all notes from F3 to A4 will be required to be measured chromatically staring with F3.
This time the suffix next to note name might be "(meas.)" to denote that it is neither (rough) or (fine) tuning of the current note but just a measurement.

Then notes from A4 to F3 can be tuned chromatically (or in any order)

The remaining notes can be expanded chromatically towards bass and treble (as it is now)

Please let me know if such a change would be okay for you.

Yes, I like this idea. The current setup is confusing to me since I've never tuned aurally.

Another suggestion: Include a couple sample tunings so that "out of the box" you could do some tuning without taking measurements, or do a pitch raise and then take readings after it's closer to pitch. You could maybe have a grand, upright and spinet sample. TuneLab has this and it can be handy.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Thank you Scott, Ron, Richard for the suggestions.

I have released PiaTune version 4.8.

Now when starting new tunings you can choose blank option or load one of 3 generic inharmonicity data for grand, upright and spinet.

By setting the new option New Tuning Mode to Pre-measurement, you can now measure all notes from A4 to F3 chromatically first and then fine tune them in any order.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Here is the updated quick start video I recently added, reflecting the new features:

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Starting today, I am offering a 20% discount (upgrade price changed to US$ 80 instead of the current US$ 100) until December 26th.

Merry Christmas !

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Hakki. I have recommended this to a tuning-curious college student of mine, and we're just starting out (learning how to properly use the hammer and tuning unisons only).

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
terminaldegree, that is great!

Please share your student's experience on PiaTune and also feel free to make any suggestions.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I'll have more time after the new year to play with it and review the manual...

I couldn't find a piano I thought I saved...When I tap on 'open' nothing shows.

I had trouble moving the red line(while at a piano) on the inharmonicity graph to find the note I wanted to remeasure, but it seems to be working fine this morning.

I was able to enter and use a temperament easily.

Thanks for all of your work - I've recommended this software to a newer tech as well.

Ron Koval

www.ronkoval.com

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ron, thank you for the update.

Open is used to open the selected file. The files/folders are automatically listed when go to Menu>File.

Please note that if you have uninstalled PiaTune then the files are removed as well.

Did you use the temperament sequence or pre-measurement?

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I used the pre-measurement - realized that I needed to go up from A4 before tuning down into the tenor. I guess that means that the software needs info from above A4 to make a better match going down into the tenor? That seems like a good approach to reach above the temperament to make poor scales sound better.

It would be helpful to be able to remeasure right from the inharmonicity graph to see if the curve improves with another measurement.

I was working on a Wurlitzer spinet, so moved the stretch settings a bit to better match my preferences. I'll test more, but it seems that I would like to have a bit more control over the number of partials for each section? The toughest test that I care about is how any software handles difficult scales.

Ron Koval

www.ronkoval.com

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ron, thank you for your valuable feedback.

PiaTune continuously calculates the tuning targets.

I will look into whether I can add a remeasure option to the inharmonicity graph screen.

I am looking forward for your upcoming evaluation when you do more testing.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I spent a couple of hours at a piano at the university.

Take any suggestions/observations as just signs of frustration due to the learning curve that happens with any new program! We all become familiar with a certain way of working with one ETD, and then learning something new can be difficult. I really like the logarithmic scale display, but hadn't learned how to manipulate the spinner/needle speed yet. I paged through the manual again. last night and that really helped clear things up!

I found that stepping through chromatically while watching the inharmonicity values was just about as good as looking at the graph - especially for a quick check. It really helps to see the string breaks and changes of scale design.

I was able to manipulate the intervals used to nearly match my Verituner settings on this Samick grand - there were a few differences that I'm going to look into later.

The pitch raise function seems to be reactive to individual notes rather than having any kind of smoothing function?

Nice app at a great price!

Ron Koval

www.ronkoval.com

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission