2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (brennbaer, CraiginNZ, bimzdbear, Amelia Squires, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, Boboulus, CentauriB, 7 invisible), 930 guests, and 543 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nadrog Offline OP
OP Offline
N
hello, first post here

I am buying my first electric piano and would love to hear the opinion of the more experienced about the choice.
I play guitar and bass, I have had few keyboards several times in my life, but for the first time I started learning more seriously a year ago.
I bought a used Yamaha Motif XS7, otherwise a very good instrument, but I realized that 90% of the time I use the sounds of an acoustic piano, with keys that don't suit me.
I have big fists and on Yamaha I can’t play between the keys.
I found on the net that the keys on Casio electric pianos are more suitable for big hands and that is really true. I tried the Casio px-s3000 in the store, without turning it on.
I have also tried some Kurzweill, Roland, Yamaha and Studiologic electric pianos but apart from the Casio, the only one whose keyboard suits me is the Kawai ES520.
In fact, it’s just as comfortable for the big fingers as the Casio but with the Casio I feel more weight at the root of the white keys.
Now, the Kawai in my place is almost twice as expensive as the Casio, with more than twice as expensive triple pedal that I also plan to get. I like the Kawai sound, the built-in speakers give some immediacy when playing, I haven't tried Casio yet.
I don't necessarily need speakers on the piano since I have active monitors, but they are not out of the question.
For the price between the Casio PX-S3000 (or PX-S1000) and the Kawai ES520 i can get a used Kawai MP7 which should have the same keyboard as the ES520 and MIDI keyboard functionality.
How good is the acoustic piano sounds on MP7, and how good they are compared to the new Kawai and Casio keyboards. Is it worth buying a used MP7 because of its usability or are today’s piano samples really much better?
Any advice is welcome smile

M
M
mp7se and mp11se should have the same great piano sounds (SK-EX and SK-5), the mp7se has tons of other sounds, though. If you got issues with large fingers, you should probably focus on that. All modern DPs (digital, not "EP", that's a different beast) have MIDI OUT and allow using VST software to add more sounds, so sounds aren't really the limiting factor. Maybe try VPC-1: with its wooden keyboard, there is a last effort possible: get it to someone who can modify the keyboard to fit your finger geometry better (grind down the sides of the black keys maybe?).

Last edited by Marc345; 12/01/21 07:16 PM.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
N
Nadrog Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I was probably not clear, English is not my language.
I try to avoid connecting to the computer to play the piano.
Anyway, I might need a MIDI controller to use VST synths.

My question is the Kawai MP7 too outdated when it comes to acoustic piano sounds compared to the new Kawai and Casio models?

N
Nadrog Offline OP
OP Offline
N
For my needs, the keys on the Kawai and Casio models are reasonably good.

Thank you for your reply

M
M
the MP7 (without SE) piano sounds are outdated, yes.

HW: MP11SE, Touche SE (+Arturia Keylab Ess. 88, Akai MPK249, in reserve: GEM Promega 3)
SW: Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft 275, Modern U, Noire, Absolute 5, Acousticsamples B5
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/GZgdFm3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And the MP7SE sounds will be outdated in short time... Best way to deal with top-quality, last generation sounds is to use VSTs. But it may not suit you

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nadrog
I have also tried some Kurzweill, Roland, Yamaha and Studiologic electric pianos but apart from the Casio, the only one whose keyboard suits me is the Kawai ES520.
In fact, it’s just as comfortable for the big fingers as the Casio but with the Casio I feel more weight at the root of the white keys.
Now, the Kawai in my place is almost twice as expensive as the Casio, with more than twice as expensive triple pedal that I also plan to get. I like the Kawai sound, the built-in speakers give some immediacy when playing, I haven't tried Casio yet.

This tells me that the Kawai ES520 is probably your best option.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Focusrite 2i2 audio interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
N
Nadrog Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
And the MP7SE sounds will be outdated in short time... Best way to deal with top-quality, last generation sounds is to use VSTs. But it may not suit you

Yes, I have a lot of computers at work, I try not to turn it on at home.

Originally Posted by dmd
This tells me that the Kawai ES520 is probably your best option.

Yes maybe
Anyway thanks for the answers

What do you think about Casio PX-S models?
Are the new 1100 and 3100 on par with Kawai in quality?
There are a lot of complaints about the keys on the net

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nadrog
hello, first post here

I am buying my first electric piano and would love to hear the opinion of the more experienced about the choice.

Buy some of the cheapest ones. At least, you'll have space to move upwards. My first DP was Casio PX-130, and by that time I found it adorable. And I sold my Nord Piano 4 recently cause was not completely satisfied with it. Imagine I had NP4 as my first piano... I would have found it's not perfect almost as soon as it happened with PX-130, but where would I move from it? There still are a couple of options, but it's much less than when you start with cheap piano. So, buy that cheapest one and slowly level up smile

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Roland RD-2000

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,727
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission