2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (almo82, accordeur, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., Busdriver320, Beemer, Animisha, 13 invisible), 668 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
Originally Posted by Ajax69
I have some extensive travelling coming up 2022 and would love to have the possibility to use hotel room evenings for piano practicing. I have only two requirements:

- Small. Meaning full size keys, but probably around 61 - 64 of them.

- As "real piano-like" key action as possible.

Will only be playing through head phones.

Good build quality is extra points. Budget is max 2.000 €. (But if there's a real GEM at 2.500€ I could consider that too).

Appreciate your input.

I've ordered a Studio Logic SL73 as a gigging keyboard to use backing a singer/guitarist. Fingers crossed, it's due to arrive this Friday. It has a Fatar hammer weighted action which some have reported as heavy/sluggish, but I'm use to weighted actions and acoustic pianos so hoping it will be fine for its intended use. I'll report back after I've spent some time with it. Hoping I've made a wise choice – have bought it without laying my hands on one!

Last edited by Craig Richards; 11/29/21 12:37 AM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Maybe I should add Studiologic Numa X Piano 73 also?

Not many user reports, not often found in stores to test.
Vox Continental 61/73?

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by _sem_

Vox Continental 61/73?

Yeah, I've been thinking 'bout that too. How's the action on the Vox?

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A

Vox Continental 61/73?

Yeah, I've been thinking 'bout that too. How's the action on the Vox?

And by action I mean "DP action". I know it's got waterfall and semi weighted keys. But how are they for "piano playing". Spongy, mushy, sloppy, wierd, .... wink ? Anyone tried it out?

Last edited by Ajax69; 11/29/21 07:46 AM.

Peter
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Abdol
The difference between 7 and 8 octaves isn't much in terms of weight and dimensions, but if the OP picks something like RD-64, then it will be significantly lighter.

There are actually 73s--and even 88s!--that are lighter than the RD-64's 28.3 lbs.

But as for the difference in weight and dimensions between 73 and 88... it's not necessarily insiginificant...

...dimensions: The Yamaha P-121 and P-125 (73 and 88 key versions of the same board, with the same action and general chassis design) are 43.9 and 52.2 inches respectively. That 8+ inches can make a big difference, for example, in whether the thing can fit across the back seat of a car.

...weight: It's actually not uncommon for the 73 version to use a different action, to further maximize portability, making the weight difference larger than you'd otherwise expect. I mentioned that the Dexibell he is looking at is almost 40 lbs in 88 keys, and only about 23 lbs in 73 keys. Also, Yamaha's CP73 is under 29 lbs, the CP88 is 41 lbs. Nord Stage 3 is 27.5 lbs in its 73-key version, but 41.8 lbs in its 88 key version (and the old Nord Piano 2 had a similar difference). But even when the 73 and 88 use the same action, it can still be a 6-7 lb difference (Nord Piano 5, Korg SV2/Grandstage/Kronos, Kurzweil Forte 7... though the Kurz is a 76).

Originally Posted by Abdol
What the OP is looking for is very niche. Almost everyone who buys weighted/scaled keyboards never travels long distances with their gears... and if they do, like bands, they don't care much about it as it's part of their business.
I don't know how nichey it is overall, but questions about travel keyboards (or otherwise sub-88 boards that still have good actions) seem to come up with some frequency on this board. (And the OP is indeed looking at it for "hotel room evenings for piano practicing" and alreadys owns 88s, so if he's willing to consider 73s, I guess his answer to your question--"So your problem is just 1 octave?"--has to be "Yup!")

Originally Posted by Craig Richards
I've ordered a Studio Logic SL73 as a gigging keyboard to use backing a singer/guitarist.
What will you be using as a sound source?

In the U.S. at least, they're not shipping yet. (I think it's supposed to be first quarter 2022?)

How's the action on the Vox?
As non-hammer actions go, it's among the best I've played. It also has a convenient front panel "dynamics" knob, such that if the response isn't quite working for the repertoire at hand, you can easily tweak it somewhat. If I wanted something super lightweight with at least a reasonably acceptable piano action (understanding it's not going to feel like a hammer action), it would probably be my pick. The reason I only say "probably" is that I haven't played the Dexibell S1, which looks like it might be a good contender for that as well.

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
[quote=Abdol]......
As non-hammer actions go, it's among the best I've played. It also has a convenient front panel "dynamics" knob, such that if the response isn't quite working for the repertoire at hand, you can easily tweak it somewhat. If I wanted something super lightweight with at least a reasonably acceptable piano action (understanding it's not going to feel like a hammer action), it would probably be my pick. The reason I only say "probably" is that I haven't played the Dexibell S1, which looks like it might be a good contender for that as well.

Thanks. It sounds interesting. But - seems to be out of stock all over the place... frown (I'm in Europe...)

Last edited by Ajax69; 11/29/21 10:13 AM.

Peter
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
OK, I didn't know P-125 comes in 73 keys too! That's pretty much the same weight and size as RD-64

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just pulled the trigger on a Vox Continental 73 which I happended to find in an online store in Germany. Nothing is done until it's done, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the delivery will actually happen.

Big thanks to everyone helping me in this process! You're all so great!

Stay safe and Merry X-mas to you all.

Peter
C
C
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by Craig Richards
I've ordered a Studio Logic SL73 as a gigging keyboard to use backing a singer/guitarist.
What will you be using as a sound source?

I'll be using a Mac Book Pro (the Studio Logic SL73 has an optional laptop shelf accessory) running UVI Workstation based instruments (Grand and Upright pianos & Rhodes mainly), and maybe some pianos/keys in the Plogue Sforzando player. Nothing too complicated, but I may look into MainStage if I need more control & flexibility.

Last edited by Craig Richards; 11/29/21 05:46 PM.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Depends on what you define as portable and what define as decent.

A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by hag01
Depends on what you define as portable and what define as decent.

Yes, of course. Portable to me was around 61 keys and size accordingly. Weight hopefully less than 30 punds (but could stretch to 35).

Decent action is harder to quantify, but I was hoping for something along the lines of RH3 (Korg) or "Responsive Hammer III action" (Kawai MP7SE). Both of which I have positive experience with.

As for size I ended up with 73 keys, but a real light weigther on 18,5 pounds. Good action turned out to be much harder to find. In my case I opted for "semi-weighted" (whatever that is... ), water fall keys, which is more of an organ key bed, but still had rather good internet reviews. It's a compromize I'm willing to make since I also have a hammond XK-3c that I'm very slowly learning to play.

The price was also well within my range.

And there is a factor of "quality build", "cool", almost a bit "iconic" that also appealed to me. (All this according to my own perception)

So this choice - Vox Continental 73 - feels like a very good solution to me.

It however turned out extremely hard to find. Almost as if it was a discontinued product line. I found one though, in Germany. Searched the firm on internet for warnings, but found only good reviews regarding delivery, customer support and refunding in case of shipping damage. I called them yesterday and actually found a live person to talk to wink. Who told med they had two Vox C's in stock. Whereupon I promptly purchsed one of them and made my payment through bank money transfer. This was yesterday afternoon. This morning however I got an email saying: "Dear Peter, I'm sorry to say that we're out of stock on the Vox. Nor do we know if and when we will have a new one."

Which of course made me say "[censored]!!!"

It hovewer turned out that they were out of stock because I and some other customer had bought the two last ones rather simultaneously. So mine is now (hopefully) in transit to me... wink

Last edited by Ajax69; 11/30/21 10:01 AM.

Peter
N
NXR Offline
N
I'd never heard of the Vox Continental before. Apparently it is in stock in the US: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...l-73-key-performance-keyboard-with-stand

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NXR
I'd never heard of the Vox Continental before. Apparently it is in stock in the US: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...l-73-key-performance-keyboard-with-stand

Yes, I've seen that on Sweetwater also. Problem buying from US when in EU is custom fees. Plus SW have a base price that's about 30% higher than what I found here in EU. So would be a nogo for me.

Otherwise heard only very good things about Sweetwater. Wish they had a European office.

PS. Sorry - see now that they have the stand included. So their price is NOT higher. But customs fees/VAT still is a show stopper in Sweden when at this pricelevel.

Last edited by Ajax69; 11/30/21 12:26 PM.

Peter
N
NXR Offline
N
I understand your frustration. When I was looking for a Kawai CA series it seemed everyone in Europe had them in stock and no one in the US had them in stock. But Kawai will not warranty a European-purchased DP in the USA so that was not going to work.

Kawai CA99, Satin Black
Yamaha P-121
Kawai X-150D
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NXR
I understand your frustration. When I was looking for a Kawai CA series it seemed everyone in Europe had them in stock and no one in the US had them in stock. But Kawai will not warranty a European-purchased DP in the USA so that was not going to work.

Cest lá vie... wink

Peter
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Of the portable slabs that I've played, the Yamaha P-515 is the closest to an acoustic piano. Also, I suggest caution with keyboards that are under 88 notes. You'll be surprised how quickly you run out of notes.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Dave B
Of the portable slabs that I've played, the Yamaha P-515 is the closest to an acoustic piano. Also, I suggest caution with keyboards that are under 88 notes. You'll be surprised how quickly you run out of notes.

Yes, it seems fantastic. A bit too heavy for me, though.

Peter
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hace you checke out the Casio PSX-1100. very light?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
A
Ajax69 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Dave B
Hace you checke out the Casio PSX-1100. very light?

Nope. I've opted for <74 keys. And found a 73 key Vox that's a measely 8,4 kg. Just trying to get it delivered to me, which seems to be not so easy.

Peter
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kawai ES110 has a great action.
I also have the little CT-S1 and set the Touch to Heavy

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pratt Reed Grand Piano Action
by Rburt53 - 01/18/22 07:41 AM
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,202
Posts3,161,733
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission