2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone, I'm new here!

I got a digital piano for like 2 years now. I play now and then but the other day I suscribed to the Flowkey app free trial and forgot to unsuscribe. So now I have a full year of suscription, I think I will be using mi digital piano much more eek. So I considered buying a more comfortable bench. I currently use a plastic stool whistle

I have been reading some threads in here about some brands. About the expensive ones like US made Jansen's, the not so expensive like CPSimports and the imported ones like the those listed in jansenpianobenches.com. Because of my budget, I'll stick to the not so expensive ones.

After some researching I was going to buy this one: https://jansenpianobenches.com/coll.../products/concert-adjustable-piano-bench

But, then I saw a very similar one here at a similar price: http://www.grandpianobench.com/adjustable.artist.bench.blacksatin.html

And also, here at ALMOST HALF THE PRICE! shocked : https://www.jimlaabsmusicstore.com/store/frederick-adjustable-concert-series-tufted-mahogany-polish/

Correct me if I am wrong but despite the different names they are called on each website, they look very very similar to me. I think they are the same, actually. But the price in the Jimlaab website is like half the price of the others.

If they are the same I'd obviously go with the Jimlaab one. Even though they only have mahogany (my DP is black)

So, does anybody out there has first hand (or some) info about this particular model, I'd really like to hear it.

Thank you

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
My experience looking at benches is there is a large difference in the quality of the lifting mechanism, the attachment of the legs, and the fit and finish of the upholstery and hinging of the bench seat. In the end I bought a relatively inexpensive bench similar to the one you're looking at. I think this is the bench I bought, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not a big person, I think if I were larger I might spend more money for something that would hold up better to additional weight.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MarkL
I'm not a big person, I think if I were larger I might spend more money for something that would hold up better to additional weight.
6' 2" / 220 lbs. here, and the leather version of the CPS Imports bench you linked to is the one I use. Default position for me is close to the front edge, and it feels like I'm right at its weight limit.

Seiler SE-186
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by cesardeon
[...]Correct me if I am wrong but despite the different names they are called on each website, they look very very similar to me. I think they are the same, actually. But the price in the Jimlaab website is like half the price of the others.

If they are the same I'd obviously go with the Jimlaab one.[...]

But you don't know that they are the same when it comes to the lift mechanism and the build quality, though, in a photograph, they may look the same. Be careful of inexpensive or even relatively inexpensive benches. Some of them - and I emphasize some, not all - are not built to high standards and tend, over time, to creak and squeak.

It's a case of caveat emptor!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Have you checked thomann.de? They have individual components of instruments

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For a digital piano they make very comfy benches that can be folded for storage and can be used for gigging. I bought mine at Guitar Center. I have a Jansen for my acoustic piano but thought it weird to order a bench that cost more than my Casio. Plus the bench for my DP is significantly lighter and easier to adjust than the Jansen.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here’s the link:Piano bench

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I bought one of the ones you linked, this one:

https://jansenpianobenches.com/coll.../products/concert-adjustable-piano-bench

It is really great and I'm quite pleased with it.

CPS Imports also gets very positive reviews and I know a lot of people who've purchased one of their benches. I also exchanged some emails with them and have a good impression of their customer service. So I would recommend them as well. The only reason I didn't purchase from them is because the bench I wanted was back ordered into next spring.

Re Lim Laabs and the Frederick benches, there have been a lot of complaints about bad quality and bad customer service, so I decided not to consider buying from them.

I don't know anything about GrandPianoBench.com.

Previously, I purchased an adjustable bench from Amazon (Songmatics maybe?). I think it was around $100 give or take. But very quickly it started to squeak and creak and wobble.

So I do not recommend getting an inexpensive bench.

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MarkL
My experience looking at benches is there is a large difference in the quality of the lifting mechanism, the attachment of the legs, and the fit and finish of the upholstery and hinging of the bench seat. In the end I bought a relatively inexpensive bench similar to the one you're looking at. I think this is the bench I bought, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not a big person, I think if I were larger I might spend more money for something that would hold up better to additional weight.

I think I also have the same bench (or something looking absolutely identical) and I'm 100% happy with it. Doubly so as it came free with the first used piano I bought: I even refused to swap it for the new bench I could have had with my new K800 when I traded in that first piano :-)

Last edited by gwing; 11/30/21 01:32 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by j&j
Here’s the link:Piano bench
This is the route I would go. I've owned a similar one, and for a digital piano it was great.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
OP Offline
C
Would it be too much to ask you to post some pictures of the bench you've bought? eek I'd like to have a look at the mechanism underneath also smile
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I bought one of the ones you linked, this one:

https://jansenpianobenches.com/coll.../products/concert-adjustable-piano-bench

It is really great and I'm quite pleased with it.

CPS Imports also gets very positive reviews and I know a lot of people who've purchased one of their benches. I also exchanged some emails with them and have a good impression of their customer service. So I would recommend them as well. The only reason I didn't purchase from them is because the bench I wanted was back ordered into next spring.

Re Lim Laabs and the Frederick benches, there have been a lot of complaints about bad quality and bad customer service, so I decided not to consider buying from them.

I don't know anything about GrandPianoBench.com.

Previously, I purchased an adjustable bench from Amazon (Songmatics maybe?). I think it was around $100 give or take. But very quickly it started to squeak and creak and wobble.

So I do not recommend getting an inexpensive bench.

Good luck!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cesardeon
Would it be too much to ask you to post some pictures of the bench you've bought? eek I'd like to have a look at the mechanism underneath also smile

Ugh, that means I have to turn the thing upside down! wink It does weight a ton, but as it happens, I took photos of it when I first got it. Hang on...

Ok, I found the post I made when I first got the bench, which was a little over a month ago. And wouldn't you know it, my bench which I bought online from JansenPianoBenches dot com, shipped from Jim Laabs. What is wrong with my brain, I completely forgot about that!!! whome

Anyway, I've had the bench for a little over a month now, and I use it every day. I have zero complaints. I don't think this is a Fredrick's bench.... but in case it's helpful, here's the post I made when I first got the bench. Photos at the end!

Well, since I made so many threads about it, I thought I better give an update!

I tried websites all over the place to find a good adjustable bench within my budget. CPS Imports (which is rec'ed by a lot of people I know) is on back order until at least Feb. 2022, Vanda King benches is sold out, as was almost every other website I checked. Amazon does not have the bench I want in stock. I also emailed Frank (the owner of PW, who runs pianosuplpies.com) but he never responded.

Brandon from JansenPianosBenches dot com was very responsive, answering all of my email questions promptly. So long story short, I ordered from him.

The good news: the bench was delivered in a very timely fashion. My husband put it together for me and he said it looks to be well-made, good quality wood etc. The bench was exactly as I expected it, and IMO it looks quite nice.

The not-so good news: the bench shipped to me from Jim Laabs, which is another piano supplies site that doesn't have the greatest reputation. This is only "not-so good" because it is just an example of a complete lack of transparency.

Some of you will recall the other criticism of JansenPianoBenches, which is that many people feel their name is dishonest, since they are not directly associated with Jansen Benches. I actually emailed PLJansen (the official Jansen maker) and asked about their relationship with JansenPianoBenches. The PLJansen rep said JPB is an authorized dealer of Jansen Benches and didn't say anything beyond that. Note that Frank is also an authorized dealer or Jansens, as are many other retailers. Also note that you cannot order a Jansens bench directly from pljansen.com. So whether JPB is being unethical with their name, I do not have an opinion. Their website says they've been selling jansen benches online since 1996, so maybe they started their site before a lot of others and if so, it doesn't seem shady to me...

But with all the details, the waters are pretty muddy here... Esp., as I said, it was disappointing to learn that the bench was shipping from Jim Laabs only after the package was shipped. I would rather know about those kinds of relationships before hand.

But, back to the bench itself.

The seat seems to be good (I got the vinyl since the leather ones sometimes get bad reviews as being bonded leather which actually doesn't last long).

It went together really well, no problems with construction etc. -- the criticism of Jim Laabs is that they were selling some poorly designed benches in the past. This bench does not seem to be that way.

The mechanism is the less complicated (i.e. less sturdy) kind (see below) if the comparison point is a Jansen's artist bench. But this is miles above the quality of my old adjustable bench.

It's a little tight to adjust it, but that's not a problem for me.

And it feels very sturdy (it probably weights clse to 30 lbs). So, I'm happy with it. But check back in 2 years and lets see how it holds up!

Oh, last detail. I added furniture slides on the legs so that it won't tear up my carpet. If you were using it on a hard wood floor, the legs have little... plastic y things so I don't think you'd need to add anything.

Ok, now for photos!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 11/30/21 09:21 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
As I recall, there are different finishes available, including the satin finish. I got the gloss or high gloss or whatever it's called, since that matches my piano.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you very much for the photos heart, it looks really great! cool I really appreciate your help

Regarding what you say about Jim Laabs: I understand that you bought your bench at JansenPianoBenches and Jim Laabs only took care of the shipping. That does not necessarily mean that they sent you one of the benches that Jim Laabs sell on their website for much less money (Frederick's), am I right or we will never know? blush

I found this very old thread (2013) where an user posted some nice opinions about a Frederick bench he bought from Jim Laabs. He also posted some pics but unfortunately links are broken so I cannot see any of them. I PM him to see if he could send me those or some other pics of his bench so I can make a "real" comparison with the pics you kindly posted here. Hope he answers soon thumb

Here is the thread: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2119813/1.html

Ugh, that means I have to turn the thing upside down! wink It does weight a ton, but as it happens, I took photos of it when I first got it. Hang on...

Ok, I found the post I made when I first got the bench, which was a little over a month ago. And wouldn't you know it, my bench which I bought online from JansenPianoBenches dot com, shipped from Jim Laabs. What is wrong with my brain, I completely forgot about that!!! whome

Anyway, I've had the bench for a little over a month now, and I use it every day. I have zero complaints. I don't think this is a Fredrick's bench.... but in case it's helpful, here's the post I made when I first got the bench. Photos at the end!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Regarding what you say about Jim Laabs: I understand that you bought your bench at JansenPianoBenches and Jim Laabs only took care of the shipping. That does not necessarily mean that they sent you one of the benches that Jim Laabs sell on their website for much less money (Frederick's), am I right or we will never know?

Yeah, I think we won't ever actually know. Obviously there's a connection of some sort between Jim Laabs and JPBs, but who knows what it is.

Also I do think there are a variety of benches (Jansen artist bench knockoffs or look-a-likes?) that are probably made in a few places overseas, and obviously at some point, there were some bad ones that shipped. At the moment, that seems to have been resolved, and there are probably multiple options for those of us who can't afford a true Jansen's artist bench (which, I will point out, cost at least 3 times what I paid, probably more because I would have to get the longer legs...)

Everyone I know who's ordered a bench from CPS Imports has been very pleased with their bench. And the only other person I've heard of directly to get an imported bench from JansenPianoBenches.com was also happy with his purchase.

So I feel fine about recommending them

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission