2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thanks for everyone's assistance. I think we are going with the U3 for $5500. It is a 1980 model but my daughter payed a U3 at a dealer and fell in love with the sound. They were asking $7900 at the dealer for a similar age piano. it sounded beautiful and we have a large room with hard floors and high ceilings so I think the brighter U1 would have been wrong in the space.
I actually feel sick hoping I've made the right decision. 😬

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 5playersinoz
Thanks for everyone's assistance. I think we are going with the U3 for $5500. It is a 1980 model but my daughter payed a U3 at a dealer and fell in love with the sound. They were asking $7900 at the dealer for a similar age piano. it sounded beautiful and we have a large room with hard floors and high ceilings so I think the brighter U1 would have been wrong in the space.

Please clarify. Have you actually seen and played the 1980 U3 for $5,500? A lot can happen to a piano in 41 years. Are you planning to have it evaluated for you by a piano tech? If a private sale, do the owners know the history of the instrument? Was the U3 at the dealer refurbished?

p.s. I know that sick feeling myself quite well. smile

Last edited by Carey; 11/17/21 01:02 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
P
Originally Posted by 5playersinoz

Congrats on your purchase!

Relative pricing by country/region aside. If it's any consolation. The 1980s U3s were regarded by some as peak Yamaha. Yours would prob be a U3M. Not that the current ones are bad by any means.

As long of course the condition is good. And it was well kept over the years. No excessive moisture. Rust on strings. Felt bugs etc...

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Don't feel sick, the U3 is a great piano. Provided you have played and loved the same piano you are actually purchasing (as individual pianos are different to each other) you are going to have a great time :-)

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
A 50-year-old, back then middle of the road piano will not hold up to the use that you will be putting it through.

With 5 children playing you need to find a younger, better piano.

Good luck

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
How about ED Seiler and Johannes Seiler (Samick) are they just to be ignored as well? I have a friend who bought a Samick in 80's and she still plays that piano.(at least going by the last time I heard from her which was a year ago)
I am referring to the post below and I am just asking a
question.By the way congratulations to the OP on his new piano.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson
From Pianobuyer:

"Quality control in Samick’s South Korean and Indonesian factories has steadily improved over the years, and the Indonesian product is said to be almost as good as the Korean. The company says that new CNC machinery installed in 2007 has revolutionized the consistency and accuracy of its manufacturing. Climate control in the tropically situated Indonesian factory, and issues of action geometry, are also among the areas that have seen improvement. Many of Samick’s Indonesian pianos are priced similarly to low-cost pianos from China."

Since I saw my first Samick over 40 years ago, a variation of the above quote has been said every year. At some point, it's time to ignore that.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sorry to get here so late, 5playersinoz. It's healthy for me, though, to be so busy that I don't have the time I used to for PW.

However, you have not done badly, as advice goes. I think most was well-taken. If I had to add something, it might be that feeling sick before you buy your piano is a lot better than feeling sick after you own it. If it's within your ability to save up a bit longer, and let the local market print itself on your background awareness, so that you recognize something especially worthy if it so happens... it can be a pretty good move. Anyway, it's better than rushing and hurling.

But, having said as much, I now get to delete a rather overlong post and move on to the congratulations, and the hope that you will let us know how it goes.

BTW, your screen name 5playersinoz reminded me of the of the first of the "Amber" novels by the great Roger Zelazny: "Nine Princes in Amber." I love reading--- amazingly affordable.

Clef

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by gwing
Don't feel sick, the U3 is a great piano. Provided you have played and loved the same piano you are actually purchasing (as individual pianos are different to each other) you are going to have a great time :-)

Originally Posted by Learux
A 50-year-old, back then middle of the road piano will not hold up to the use that you will be putting it through.

Good luck

In what world would the U3 have ever been a middle of the road piano? It would have always been better than 95%+ of uprights manufactured during its long history.

P
P

Originally Posted by Learux

Good luck

In what world would the U3 have ever been a middle of the road piano? It would have always been better than 95%+ of uprights manufactured during its long history.

Second this notion +1

The 131cm U3, esp from the 80s onwards pretty much set a global benchmark in quality and performance, at a relatively higher but still reasonable pricepoint. (provided it's been well taken care.of like any piano of any brand).

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Personal taste comes into the "best 95%(tone and response)of deciding the best uprights" of the world.That however should not be the focus in this thread.I would say condition is far more important than brand.I have tried a U1 which was really worn out instrument and that was from the 80's!

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
BTW, your screen name 5playersinoz reminded me of the of the first of the "Amber" novels by the great Roger Zelazny: "Nine Princes in Amber." I love reading--- amazingly affordable.

Not if you want one of the original first editions to read :-)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Not if you want one of the original first editions to read :-)...."

Well, you've got me there. Now that I think of it, I don't know why I should be surprised that he is collectable. Even among SF writers, he stands out. I do collect, but it's only because I wear out the paperback editions of books I love.

Clef

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission