2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Beemer
Yonion,
If the piano was out of tune when you played it at the dealers premises why did you not insist in it being at least tuned before delivery. In general pianos tuned and properly transported from a dealer to your home will not go out of tune during the transport. Entropy has not been supported with updates for a long time and I suggest you try PianoMeter.

Yes, Pianometer is great. However doing a full tuning with any of these devices is probably a bad idea if you are using the services of a piano tuner. This is because your tuner, and each device you use, will make different decisions and produce a different tuning curve. That means that you are making widespread changes your tuner will have to 'correct' to bring it back to his methods results and that is likely to be more work for him/her than if you did nothing, for which you may not be thanked. It's probably best to do no more than touch up the odd unison or individual note between tunings (if you are employing a tuner) so that the piano can reach a state of stability.

One day I hope to find a good local piano tuner who is also happy to use Pianometer, or similar, so we can both work towards the same goal with me just doing intermediate tunings as necessary but most tuners here work aurally.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
I would discuss the really important issues first with the technician.For myself that would be a careful discussion about the torque of the pins,and tuning stability of the piano. Ask the question is there a problem with loose tuning pins on this piano? Of course a new piano will need a number of tunings to settle down.(we do know that)

I would not mention anything about tuning the piano after delivery.You need a good relationship with the dealers technicians.

After you have had this discussion then mention other aspects of regulation you would need the technician to work on.

Exactly. But it’s not MY piano.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks all for great advices and the congrats. We like the piano very much, here is a short recording of my son's practicing. I used an external USB condenser mic ($30) and audacity to record it, the background noise is from the dehumidifier not the mic. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UXg7EgQvJTEEClZLU7WuQP6s3MSC6P1u/view?usp=sharing).

I won't worry too much about the relationship with the dealer or the piano technician. I think we will focusing on making the piano perform well and whatever happened has happened. The piano is more than 5 years old, and it is not the condition right out of the factory anyway. So I think we will just tell the piano tech the problems we noticed and what we want and let him figure out everything. The dealer admit that they should have done the prep before delivery. But we bought it in a BSO sales event, when all the pianos were hauled from dealership to BSO and was on sale there for some time. We bought it on the last day of the event, so they have to leave the next day and they don't have time to do the prep and they didn't want to move the piano back to their dealership and then move to my place.

K
K
It’s a good idea to let the tech know that you’ve tuned the piano yourself, so s/he can make a more accurate assessment of how the piano is settling in. I had a piano that the owner claimed unstable. It’s turned out it was a combination of unstable room humidity level and the diy tuning job that was actually counter productive in achieving the stability within the normal range. Not all techs are against diy jobs as long as the owner is using a proper tool and the technique.

Last edited by K8KT; 10/07/21 02:48 PM.

Apprentice Piano Technician
Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks all! The piano technician came and tuned the piano and did the regulation and voicing. We showed him a list about notes we think whose sound was off and he said he can hear those problems too. We told him we play classical music mostly and it is a little hard to play soft, that's pretty much all he needs. Here is a recording of the piano a few weeks after the tuning, (the sound is loud, please use small volume). Any comments are welcome. I put a mic about 11 inches above the strings and also a phone 2 ft to the right side of the piano to record the piano. I found the phone's sound is better than the mic's, could anyone explain why? (The mic is a 30 dollar condenser USB mic for video conference.)

phone: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xxIK52ngjocguG7TymcljRsc-o6sz4Dg/view?usp=sharing
mic: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15sQSqQzGr0KpZgsSlT48H6CvHuqp3Jpv/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by yonion; 11/07/21 02:24 AM.
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Your mic recording sounded the way it did due to being close to the strings and perhaps being a budget usb mic. Try experimenting with mic placement - a foot away from the rim, 2 feet, 5 feet etc. Have someone play the piano while you walk around with mic, listening with headphones, if possible. Mic placement takes some experimentation since pianos and room acoustics vary.

If you choose to upgrade your mics, consider getting two so you can record in stereo.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
yonion,

I did a side-by side comparison of DIY focused microphone and camcorder options, placed in the same spot, with a player piano playing the same material, over and over. This is not the entire presentation, just the raw footage uploaded to YT (and one of the mics was obviously defective). I am not surprised that a $30 mic is going to sound no better than a smartphone, although finding the best possible placement usually trumps cost.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpbVB3_I0aqRoCAn8B5rYF09nJJ0IFJSa

Also, I wrote a Piano Buyer review a while back that focused on audio recorders of a particular price range. Certain ones of these can be fed to a camcorder via a "line out" jack for video without having to edit...so long as you can configure the camcorder to set a manual level for the line in, and defeat the "automatic level control" or whatever is used to compress the camcorder audio signal.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/portable-audio-recorders-149-199a-comparison-test/

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Actually, absolutely DO tell the dealer's technician you tuned it yourself. Also, let the technician know how out of tune it was after delivery, and what you found with the tuning pin torque compared to your Baldwin Hamilton. Ask if this is something you should be concerned about. How far out of tune was it after delivery? Was it just an overall "out of tune", or did some notes sound like three notes instead of one? The lower torque tuning pins and the piano being way out of tune could very well be related.

As a technician, I disagree. When I go to tune or service a piano, I could care less about the customer's opinion of tuning pin torque or where the tuning was.
I'm the professional, not the piano customer. And in my experience, low tuning pin torque in new pianos is extremely rare. If anything, most of the new pianos I tune have very high torque pins. It's no different than giving advice to your lawyer or doctor, or telling the pilot how to fly the plane.
Any decent technician can tune the piano, recognize obvious faults like double-striking, or other issues.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
yonion,

I did a side-by side comparison of DIY focused microphone and camcorder options, placed in the same spot, with a player piano playing the same material, over and over. This is not the entire presentation, just the raw footage uploaded to YT (and one of the mics was obviously defective). I am not surprised that a $30 mic is going to sound no better than a smartphone, although finding the best possible placement usually trumps cost.

Also, I wrote a Piano Buyer review a while back that focused on audio recorders of a particular price range. Certain ones of these can be fed to a camcorder via a "line out" jack for video without having to edit...so long as you can configure the camcorder to set a manual level for the line in, and defeat the "automatic level control" or whatever is used to compress the camcorder audio signal.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/portable-audio-recorders-149-199a-comparison-test/
Any chance you can do a piece on budget recording options using available low cost audio interfaces and budget quality mics? There seems to be a ton of options out there for those who want to record beyond using Zoom mics. I have an H1n and I’m starting to dabble in recording with better equipment now but I’m cheap so always looking for high quality sound for less. My current set-up is a pair of Behrenger B-5’s ($69 each), a U-control Behrenger audio interface ($49) to my 2012 Mac Book Pro, and I had an old Samson 4 channel mixer laying around that I bought in 2005. B5 has cardioid and Omni capsules the latter of which I found useless in my noisy room. I think cardioids in an xy pattern close mic’d is my only option to do my Shigeru justice in my home. Plan to record with simple QuickTime software to point and click some recordings. A write-up on how to record a grand would be a nice feature in piano buyer.

Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I guess it may depend on the situation of the piano. In our case, the piano is pretty much new. Once the technician knows what we want, he just did his work just like you said. I guess if the piano is 100 years old with many works done on it or rebuilt, the tuner may benefit from knowing the history of the piano.

Originally Posted by Scott Cole, RPT
As a technician, I disagree. When I go to tune or service a piano, I could care less about the customer's opinion of tuning pin torque or where the tuning was.
I'm the professional, not the piano customer. And in my experience, low tuning pin torque in new pianos is extremely rare. If anything, most of the new pianos I tune have very high torque pins. It's no different than giving advice to your lawyer or doctor, or telling the pilot how to fly the plane.
Any decent technician can tune the piano, recognize obvious faults like double-striking, or other issues.

Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
That's a good suggestion. The organizer of an online recital we are attending recommended a few USB mics for the computer:

Under $100: Fifine USB Microphone, Yeti Snowball
$100-$200: Blue Yeti, Audio Technica
$200 +: Rode NT-USB + Headphone Bundle

I don't like the mics that need XLR cables and external amps, just seems too much cables and electronic boxes for a casual recording.

Originally Posted by Jethro
Any chance you can do a piece on budget recording options using available low cost audio interfaces and budget quality mics? There seems to be a ton of options out there for those who want to record beyond using Zoom mics. I have an H1n and I’m starting to dabble in recording with better equipment now but I’m cheap so always looking for high quality sound for less. My current set-up is a pair of Behrenger B-5’s ($69 each), a U-control Behrenger audio interface ($49) to my 2012 Mac Book Pro, and I had an old Samson 4 channel mixer laying around that I bought in 2005. B5 has cardioid and Omni capsules the latter of which I found useless in my noisy room. I think cardioids in an xy pattern close mic’d is my only option to do my Shigeru justice in my home. Plan to record with simple QuickTime software to point and click some recordings. A write-up on how to record a grand would be a nice feature in piano buyer.

Y
yonion Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
This is very helpful. I feel the Shure MV88 is the best, the second is the Oktava MK012 omni, the third place is Zoom h2n. But they seems very expensive for the recording quality except for the Shure one. Those XLR mics and external amps may still be the best way for recording.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
yonion,

K
kre Offline
K
I'm also interested in recording my playing. Tried Zoom, next I will buy a pair of affordable microphones (Line Audio CM4). I have a small Behringer mixer and USB interface already.

You might find this useful:

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission