2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by jdw
Hmm, looking up EDV I get End-diastolic volume and elektronische Datenverarbeitung....

The original poster who opened the topic goes by "EDV", like you go by "jdw". (I almost got caught out too. your second one becomes EDP in English - Electronic Data Processing). But no, EDV is a person's handle in the forum. wink

If you look up my username, you might think I was a hockey player or fan, unless you looked further.

Learner
B
B
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Originally Posted by Blague
. . . After all since it's not 100% effective in preventing some virus-laden droplets into the environment I think its fairly reasonable to not do anything at all.

I'm not sure if this is meant seriously, or ironically.

If it's ironic, or sarcastic, I have no problems with it.

Yes, it was meant to be absurd, sarcastic.

Last edited by Blague; 10/15/21 03:03 PM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Removed for opinions that don't reflect the widely accepted science and evidence, and for having nothing to do with piano.
It's a piano forum, please stick to the subject.

Last edited by Piano World; 10/16/21 03:57 PM.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by jdw
Hmm, looking up EDV I get End-diastolic volume and elektronische Datenverarbeitung....

The original poster who opened the topic goes by "EDV", like you go by "jdw". (I almost got caught out too. your second one becomes EDP in English - Electronic Data Processing). But no, EDV is a person's handle in the forum. wink

Ah yes, missed that. Also, I was trained to expect a comma after a name being addressed--way old school. I didn't even realize I was looking for that till its absence made me misread (not saying it should have been there, just that old habits die hard.)

1989 Baldwin R
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
If your city is really covid free I see no point in wearing masks during the lessons.

All the known covid cases are in hospital in my city. The borders are closed ( they do open in a few days though ) so the Delta variant is not really active in the community. Even so, supermarkets, clinics, offices, and most other places expect and even require people to wear masks... I nearly got kicked out of my local clinic for not wearing one a few weeks ago ( the safer your city, the higher the paranoia apparently ) so unfortunately, I need to have a mask wearing policy in effect.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Anyone who thinks that masks should only be worn if there are 100% effective has no business teaching piano, or anything else, because no teacher is 100% effective.

Semipro Tech
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
BDB, that doesn't even make sense. No teacher promises to be 100% effective. Teachers set a rate, students pay the rate and learn to be content with what is taught to them. At the same time, the teacher tries to accept that students don't practice, have high expectations of teachers and low expectations of themselves, want recitals but don't want to do the work that's necessary, and want to switch lesson times all the time.

Last edited by Candywoman; 10/23/21 02:37 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
I guess that means that you think masks have to be 100% effective at preventing disease, but you do not need to be 100% effective at teaching music.

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
If you can go maskless, you should and so should your students. Ever notice a person's glasses fogging up while wearing a mask? That's because there is moisture in every breath one exhales. This moisture is present with or without a mask. It escapes from the mask and goes into the air. If you want a false sense of security, like Linus with his blanket, go ahead and wear the mask, or if you want to put the parents' minds at ease, wear a fake mask with as little cloth as possible. It's about appearances, not reality. Reality has left the building.

Ignore everything in this deeply ignorant post.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EDV:

May I ask where you live? I love how seriously your community is taking the necessary steps to keep everyone safe. Remember though, that you're only 'Covid-free' if your testing rates are high. If not many tests are being carried out then it could be going undetected.

On the subject matter:

I'd say that, as teachers, we have a duty of care to all that we teach. The idea of wearing a mask is about protecting others, sadly many still don't realise this. If I'm feeling a little unwell and vulnerable I will wear a mask. I test regularly, as do my students and they have to provide 2 negative lateral flow tests every 7 days. You can also request the vaccination status if they are happy to give it. Most students are compliant with these requests as they want to do the right thing.

Bottom line - don't be afraid to set whatever Covid measures you deem are necessary to keep you, your oractice, and your students, safe. If a student disagrees with your requirements then maybe ask yourself if they're suitable students for you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I added a large sign by my home studio door that ways, "Please wash your hands."

My director at the school I teach said at our orientation meeting, "Miss Belle has a policy that you must wash hands first. You can set our own policy regarding assembly of instrument, metronome, parents, etc..."

Masks are good reminders not to touch your face. Kids still touch...everything else...

Learning as I teach.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission