2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (brdwyguy, DavidWB, anotherscott, 36251, David Boyce, CHAS, David Lai, 12 invisible), 656 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Online Content
F
Ok. I am a bit panicked.
This recitals are important for me. Since it's sort of a goal putting something you worked o outside ny own headphones in my tiny extra-room /shared office space during work from home covid.

But I am not quite finished. It doesn't sound as I want it to sound.
I might put up something older recorded this time... or maybe I put myself out there and record it even though I am not quite there yet....

Love you all - piano forum people. Or most of you.. or nah.. all of you!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
Ok. I am a bit panicked.
This recitals are important for me. Since it's sort of a goal putting something you worked o outside ny own headphones in my tiny extra-room /shared office space during work from home covid.

But I am not quite finished. It doesn't sound as I want it to sound.
I might put up something older recorded this time... or maybe I put myself out there and record it even though I am not quite there yet....

Love you all - piano forum people. Or most of you.. or nah.. all of you!

Historically, people have not always had their pieces "quite ready" yet, when they submitted. I myself have several times sent recordings in that I knew had obvious errors (and I actually still have not managed to make a flawless recording of anything). The concept "work in progress" is no stranger to the quarterly recitals. I suspect that we probably all try to do something which is close to the best we, at that point in time, are able to do. And I also suspect that many of us would wish we had the work more polished than we were able to get it before the deadline.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Waited months to submit a piece I've been working on since March. It wasn't ready for the last 2 recitals. The video is being uploaded. There is a good chance the submission will be #1 on the list.

Sounds like fun coming up.
When, last year, my local gym re-opened on a Monday, there were loads of us with fingers hovering over that button, come 8.00am the previous week. We were booking for the WEEK ahead. Being that there were only about 30 or 40 bike spaces available (Les Mills "The Trip") not to mention all the other classes, the site crashed.
The fury was palpable.
Esteemed Management decided that, given the fullness of time, this would soon sort itself out.
I figured that, with my lappie held about 6 inches from the wifi hub, I'd have the best chance. It worked . . . !

But when, in international territory, is that button to be pressed? If you tell us, for our individual time zones, Pianoworld might well do the same!

I really don't want to sound smug supposing this happens . . . . smile

Last edited by peterws; 10/30/21 05:26 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Waited months to submit a piece I've been working on since March. It wasn't ready for the last 2 recitals. The video is being uploaded. There is a good chance the submission will be #1 on the list.

When, last year, my local gym re-opened on a Monday, there were loads of us with fingers hovering over that button, come 8.00am the previous week. We were booking for the WEEK ahead. Being that there were only about 30 or 40 bike spaces available (Les Mills "The Trip") not to mention all the other classes, the site crashed.
The fury was palpable.
Esteemed Management decided that, given the fullness of time, this would soon sort itself out.
I figured that, with my lappie held about 6 inches from the wifi hub, I'd have the best chance. It worked . . . !

But when, in international territory, is that button to be pressed? If you tell us, for our individual time zones, Pianoworld might well do the same!

For your signal to reach the US faster, you need to type in ALL CAPS, while holding the laptop upside down, facing east, standing on one foot and cocking your head to the side. Let me know how that works for you…

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Many local places are re-opening including restaurants, gyms, movie theatres & sport stadiums on the condition: the people who go to public facilities must be vaccinated. Some people in my area are against the local government enforcing the vaccine mandate (force people to get the needle). This is another discussion outside the scope of this forum.

Anyway, another 2 days to go until submission is open and the adrenaline is up. The on & off lockdowns forced me to stay home most days and the only thing I would do away from a screen (TV & computer) is a piano keyboard. The teacher had a few weeks off during the summer I continued to practice for an hour/day. I didn't let the stress from other family members bother me and kept on working on the piece I want to submit until it is finally at the performance level.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

The fury was palpable.

For your signal to reach the US faster, you need to type in ALL CAPS, while holding the laptop upside down, facing east, standing on one foot and cocking your head to the side. Let me know how that works for you…

Sam

Whilst singing "What shall we do with the drunken sailor"

"[Linked Image]"
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jethro
Originally Posted by wouter79
Apple killed my Mac.

A month ago my mac went to the Apple Repair to replace the swelling batteries (known issue with apple...).

However instead of just doing that, they completely erased my drive and put Catalina on it.... it's not even set up, it's only asking what language I'm talking as first step of further installation. Besides that it seems they also replaced the screen, the keyboard, did a complete cleanup, I don't know what they were thinking there...

All my software and settings, worth thousands of $ is gone. I can not reinstall it on Catalina because it's for an older OS. This includes my audio drivers.

In short, thanks to Apple I can not make a recording of my fully prepared piece on my fresh tuned piano...
There is a way to install older versions of Mac iOS over Catalina. It requires you to make a bootable macOS install program onto a USB flash drive and downloading the iOS that you want to downgrade to. You can find older versions of Mac iOS on the Apple website but you have to search with the Safari browser and with the App store application closed. From there you use Terminal to create the boot drive with some simple commands and then clear the permissions folder from the installer program to take out any expired certificates.

Anyways it might seem complicated but it isn’t. PM me if you need help or look online and you can learn how to do it. All is not lost on other words.

Thanks, this might be very useful information. Very useful to know that it's at least possible.

At this moment I'm still waiting to see if some partitions can still be recovered. If not then I may go this route. I may come back to you then! Or maybe dump Mac completely and go for linux or so ...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I found an old piece from june last year, I submitted that.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Ha, Sam was quick this time with his submission :-)

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Still not quick enough - but getting a little faster. Mostly checking I haven't made an error in setting up the recital and making the call for submissions...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Still not quick enough - but getting a little faster. Mostly checking I haven't made an error in setting up the recital and making the call for submissions...

Sam

Just for reference: I sat there pinging the "recitals" page every 20 seconds or so after the full hour, and when the recital was enabled, I quickly copied and pasted from a text file, all the texts for the fields in the form. I then quickly read through the "proof" page, and uploaded via a reasonably fast connection (not optical fiber-based though). And this only brought me the second place.

Note to self: must get optical fiber internet, and relocate closer to the PW recitals server. 😉

Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Submitting my performance to a Recital is so stressful that I need to get it over as soon as physically possible. Now that's done, I can think about preparing for Recital 65 … smile

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LXVI

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Sam

Just for reference: I sat there pinging the "recitals" page every 20 seconds or so after the full hour, and when the recital was enabled, I quickly copied and pasted from a text file, all the texts for the fields in the form. I then quickly read through the "proof" page, and uploaded via a reasonably fast connection (not optical fiber-based though). And this only brought me the second place.

Note to self: must get optical fiber internet, and relocate closer to the PW recitals server. 😉
You can submit the form with only the required fields and fix the remaining ones after you submit (without loosing your spot).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft

Sam

You can submit the form with only the required fields and fix the remaining ones after you submit (without loosing your spot).

Yes, I am aware of that possibility. Maybe I will one day go to this extreme. smile

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
In my case trying to be first or early in the list is just for fun. Does it really make a difference in number of listens or comments that you get? Maybe a little. Often I will listen starting at the end of the list, or jump around and pick and choose. Try it - it’s fun!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my case trying to be first or early in the list is just for fun. Does it really make a difference in number of listens or comments that you get? Maybe a little. Often I will listen starting at the end of the list, or jump around and pick and choose. Try it - it’s fun!

Sam

This makes a lot of sense, and I will use this new rule for my own commenting: if my entry is in the first half, I will comment backwards, otherwise forwards. (I will still write the individual words and sentences in the usual order). smile

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I played my recital piece for my teacher this week and she suggested practising at higher tempo and when I play at normal tempo I will be more comfortable. She also suggested playing a little bit of rubato in my Bach's piece and to extend the silence between the phrase. She also said that she prefers a piece with 2 or 3 mistakes but a lot of emotions then a mechanical playing with no mistakes.

So I made another recording this morning.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Sam

There's a semi-interesting parallel here. After my gym shut down for a COVID rest, when it reopened for bookings, the site crashed as I knew it would. The indolent manager could only say that it would settle down with time.
It did to a degree, but some courses are insanely popular, usually involving bikes which are the only ones I book.
To get the racers edge to my internet connection, I'd sit next to the roiuter box, holding the lappie an inch from it.
I invariably got on before the site crashed but didn't actually know I had until after.
My wife thought I was mad..

"[Linked Image]"
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
About 24 hours to go! Don't miss out!

Recital #64 is scheduled for Monday, November 15, 2021 and is now open for submissions!

The submission deadline is Monday, November 15, 2021 at 6:00 Eastern (US) time.

There are currently 40 submitted pieces.

1. Greta99 - Two Baltic Waltzes -"Tallinn" and "Vilnius" from "Reflections in Waltz" (Welburn, James)
2. QuasiUnaFantasia - 10 pieces for piano, opus 24,7: Andantino (Sibelius, J.)
3. PikaPianist - Nocturne Op. 3 No.2 (Korganov)
4. Sam S - Valse de l'adieu (Eric Christian)
5. MarieJ - Berlin Song (Ludovico Einaudi)
6. wouter79 - Novelette, No17 (Heller, Stephen)
7. Ted Jones - Croaghaun Triptych (Part 1) (Ted Jones)
8. Greener / Jeff - Piazzolla Tango, Medley (Piazzolla / Greener)
9. peterws - Mozart's 23rd k488 Intro (Mozart)
10. KevinM - Minuet No. 1 from French Suite in B minor. No. 3 (Bach)
11. Ido - Invention 11 (BWV 782) (J.S. Bach)
12. JJHLH - Prelude in B major Op 27 No 2 (Scriabin)
13. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Loutky (Puppets), H. 92: No. 3. Columbine (Bohuslav Martinu)
14. Calavera - Legend of Mana medley (Shimomura, Yoko)
15. rwsavory - Les Barricades Mysterieuses (Couperin)
16. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Preludes Op 11, Nos 9 & 17 (Scriabin)
17. JB_PW (Jen) - Mermaid's Lullaby (Walter Carroll)
18. AndresVel - Two-Part Inventions, No. 9 in F minor (BWV 780) (J.S. Bach)
19. Talao - Gnossienne No. 1 (Erik Satie)
20. winterflower - The Night is Too Long and So Deep (winterflower)
21. ranjit - The Madman's Circus (ranjit)
22. stevedoz - Dawn (Dario Marianelli)
23. pianist685 (Constantin) - If I could see you again (Yiruma)
24. vte - Notturno Op 28 No 4 (Friedrich Kiel)
25. Purrblast - Invention in C Major (BWV 772) (J.S. Bach)
26. lilypad - The Great Pumpkin Waltz (Vince Guaraldi)
27. Ganddalf - Sonata Pathetique, Second movement (Beethoven)
28. Saan Saturday - The Cat and the Mouse (Aaron Copland)
29. Flygbladet - Sonata Pathetique Mov. 1 (Ludwig van Beethoven)
30. sma55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Sentimental Waltz, Op 51 No 6 (Tchaikovsky)
31. RudolfRSK - Sonetto 47 del Petrarca (Liszt)
32. thepianoplayer416 - Christmas Oratorio #2 - Sinfonia in G (BWV248) (J.S. Bach)
33. Pavel.K - Evening Clouds, No.9 from Album de Nina Op. 141 (Aleksander Gretchaninov)
34. jamiecw - Prelude in A Major Op28 No7 (Frederic Chopin)
35. sandalholme - 4 Mazurkas Op24 (Chopin)
36. Moo smile - Rondo in D K485 (Mozart)
37. Serge88 - Air on the G string (J.S. Bach)
38. tyschoco - Sonatina in F Major, Op 20 No 3 (Friedrich Kuhlau)
39. lyricmudra - Venetian Boat Song No. 2 (Song Without Words Op. 30, No. 6) (Mendelssohn)
40. CasualPianist123 - Sonata Op. 40 No. 2, 1st Movt (Muzio Clementi)

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Sam

There's a semi-interesting parallel here. After my gym shut down for a COVID rest, when it reopened for bookings, the site crashed as I knew it would. The indolent manager could only say that it would settle down with time.
It did to a degree, but some courses are insanely popular, usually involving bikes which are the only ones I book.
To get the racers edge to my internet connection, I'd sit next to the roiuter box, holding the lappie an inch from it.
I invariably got on before the site crashed but didn't actually know I had until after.
My wife thought I was mad..

Dammit, I've already wrote this previously! How might I delete this . . . .my poor memory, I'm afraid.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Sound Generators - Quality? Capacity? Options?
by bob@pei - 05/21/22 11:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,178
Posts3,193,585
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission