2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hi all,

My living room has an L shape and the allocated space for a piano is on the bottom right of that L… in a rectangle of 166cm by 200cm, with a diagonal of 259cm. I currently play on a CN29 in that space.

Knowing that the sound itself would go towards the room, is it crazy to dream about a baby grand in that location? I calculated that with the 75cm allocated for the seat, I would need a 230cm diagonal for a gl10…

Thanks

xlider
—————
CN29
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Sounds like it would fit just fine but oriented along the wider (200 cm) part of the room. It may not fit diagonally though.

A rising tide lifts all the boats
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you go diagonally you will likely cross that 175 cm boundary so you might have to go more against the 200 cm wall. The action will need to clear the piano frame for it to be removed for servicing, which doesn't require 2.5 feet, so you might can get by with a slightly smaller bench area if you have a smaller bench, though it would be cramped.

You can get a sheet or drop cloth and make a template of your prospective piano model with masking tape, then experiment with placement along with your bench. Size specs should be found on the Kawai website. Of course, a bigger area will be needed for the initial setup of the piano upon delivery.

S
S
I would say no, you need more space for a grand piano to sound good.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starre
I would say no, you need more space for a grand piano to sound good.
There's the whole rest of the living room L space for the sound to go to. IOW the effective space for the piano is much larger than the rectangle the OP described.

Originally Posted by cygnusdei
Sounds like it would fit just fine but oriented along the wider (200 cm) part of the room. It may not fit diagonally though.
If it would fit along the wider part of the room, I don't see how could it could not fit in the longer diagonal of the room.

X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks for your answers. The rest of the L of the living room could indeed be there for the sound to diffuse… however, home configuration (and peace between household members) do not all for me to move out of the corner:-(.

I played a bit with shapes in PowerPoint, and due to my size, I need at least 75cm of bench space (tuning could be done by moving the piano out for a day)… so it actually does not fit for my needs in 200cm…

I guess I will stick to uprights in my quest, for now. :-)

xlider
—————
CN29
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Okay, so I'm piqued. The rectangle is 200 x 166, and the GL-10 is 153 x 150. Now depending on how the rest of the room opens up, I think you can still have the bench stowed away strictly within the rectangle when you're not playing, although when you're playing you may have to borrow a few cm from outside the rectangle - that is if the room opens up to the bottom and to the right.

As the right side of the piano shouldn't be up against the wall (should you want to record yourself etc.), I think the best scenario is if the room opens up the the top and to the right - you may have to 'borrow' a few cm of bench space permanently, but is that really crime? 😅

[Linked Image]

A rising tide lifts all the boats
X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Nice drawing :-). Actually on your drawing, I would be in the corner left of where the piano is currently drawn… so that means I would have 47cm between the piano and the wall as bench space…

xlider
—————
CN29
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When I was measuring up for pianos I was in China but my house was, and still is, in Bulgaria. So I made scale templates of various sizes of piano and the dimensions of the rooms. It worked well.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
My recommendation would be to ask a dealer to borrow a piano floor template. It won’t include the space for the bench, but I think it will help answer the question.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sgisela
My recommendation would be to ask a dealer to borrow a piano floor template. It won’t include the space for the bench, but I think it will help answer the question.

Exactly! Nearly all piano dealers have templates. I twice used the Yamaha C3 template when I moved. Of course the owner did encourage me to take a C5 template in case I wanted to get a bigger piano. 😁

Truthfully me having a bigger piano template to play with is a dangerous thing to the bank account.

Last edited by j&j; 10/30/21 09:29 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Also put some crates, a sofa or whatever to the size involved so you get a 3D idea of what it will look like in there.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
X
xlider Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks!

I got to a final conclusion for that corner… too cramped. Next is about negotiating for another corner :-).

xlider
—————
CN29

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission