2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I am unsure if this is the correct area to post this, but I just wanted to mention that Peter Bence has uploaded a new video to YouTube this past week, of him performing his extraordinary arrangement of Freddie Mercury's "Bohemian Rhapsody", and it is absolutely breathtaking.

For anyone who has yet to view this spectacular performance, I urge you to take 6 minutes out of your busy day to watch this video, hopefully on a high-res display larger than a smartphone, and while using quality headphones. You are in for a real treat, to say the least. I have never seen any piano performance of this magnitude before.

Enjoy! Bet you can't watch it just once!

Last edited by camperbc; 10/23/21 06:02 PM.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

- Casio (Casiotone) CT-S300 - 2020
- Casio (Privia) PX-870BK - 2019
- Casio (Casiotone) CT-680 - 1990
- Yamaha (Portatone) PS-25 - 1983
- Yamaha (Portasound) PS-2 - 1980
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Although I like and have played a couple of Bence's transcriptions, neither this particular song or his version do much for me. I have heard other less virtuosic versions I like better. I only listened to the first two minutes or so and thought several passages were just filled with pointless note spinning.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Although I like and have played a couple of Bence's transcriptions, neither this particular song or his version do much for me. I have heard other less virtuosic versions I like better. I only listened to the first two minutes or so and thought several passages were just filled with pointless note spinning.

Wow. Seriously?

Glen

S
S
Overwrought for me as well...seemed more about demonstrating his virtuosity than the song.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It held my interest for about 20 seconds.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Dreadful! He's butchering a good rock melody. Just goes to show taste, like beauty and love, is not universal; thank goodness.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Here’s what it sounds like to me: he has a bag of tricks labeled a, b,c, d etc. he wants to make sure there is not one measure that is not covered with them, so he looks at his list and grabs one to insert— whether it fits the music or not.

The effect is the loss of the melody and of the style of the music. I’m not surprised when a beginner layers too many, but he’s not doing it because he’s learning. He’s doing it to be able to say ‘Look at me!!’ He’s better than this.

OP Offline
Jeez, tough crowd.

You know, I think that this may have something to do with why I have yet to find a single friendly fellow pianist on this forum since joining a couple of years back. I have repeatedly attempted, since day one, to strike up conversations on here by sharing some of my own personal views and experiences, such as how I learn new pieces/songs while bedridden with spinal issues/nerve damage, etc, posting links to anything/everything that I believed might be of interest to fellow piano enthusiasts, making my own reviews/opinions of my preferred choice of instruments, studio monitors, headphones, favourite types of music/styles... pretty much anything related to the joy of making music... all while endlessly being lambasted and laughed at by pretty much every forum member with a gazillion posts under their belt.

I'm beginning to dislike online forums where, what... jealousy?... just general meanness?... always causes new members to feel quite unwelcome. As others have lamented on here before, it's not exactly a friendly, welcoming group of people. I now have come to the understanding that I am probably better off doing pretty much anything that does not involve me being part of an internet forum.

After all of this time, I almost hate to have to leave this group, but quite frankly, I have never once felt as though I was ever going to eventually be welcome here.

Glen

This forum is visited mostly by people whose main interest is classical piano so they may not like covers of almost any popular song or the popular song the cover is based on.

You might get more people to comment positively on this video if you posted it on the PW Non Classical Forum. I do like some of Bence's videos but not this one.

Here are two I like and have even played. I think they have much less note spinning even though they are very virtuosic.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/24/21 09:54 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
camperbc, I am so sorry to say this, because I don't want you to hate PW, but I love Peter Bence and I didn't really like this version of Bohemian Rhapsody. His playing is certainly on here, and I have to almost wonder if this video and others without the loop machine etc. are a response to former criticisms of him as someone who can't really play (because of the tech he uses). If there was any doubt (there wasn't for me) hopefully this video puts an end to it. There's no mistaking, he plays quite well.

But this version of BR is not compelling to me. There are some nice spots, but I wouldn't go looking for the video to listen again.

But don't hate me! We can talk about Peter Bence doing Despacito (which I LOVE!) or Attention (FANTASTIC!!) I also agree about his Hallelujah. A lot covers of Hallelujah are too... bare? for me, but his add just the right this and that, in just the right amounts.

Definitely pop over to the Non-classical forum, and stick around in general. PW members have strong opinions, but we all just love the piano.

And for everyone else in this thread, check out Attention if you haven't already! smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 10/24/21 11:08 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have absolutely no problem at all with the pianist, his style, his ability, his showmanship and his interpretation, really.

But for me, the trouble is the material. Boh/Rha is (In My Opinion) a load of overblown, pompous, emotionally detached and immature nonsense. Sorry and all that.

The problem is simply the song. Who has ANY experience to relate to regarding this Queen piece?

On Gold Radio in the UK they do a "Top 300" every year and this load of dross always walks it... in God's name why? I can't relate to it at all, who can? Give me something about life experience that I recognise to grab my attention. I accept, the original is excellently produced.

The Beach Boys, Fun, Fun, Fun is more meaningful to me, I remember THOSE days, I lived THAT life, even though it reflects a small sector of American society, and I am English I was that age, I did things like that and I had that FUN.

I have never been to Texas but Glen Campbells version of the Jimmy Webb song, "Galveston" is an emotional experience for me every time I hear it and I will never tire of it. I also "still see her standing by the water...."

So far, and I hope it remains this way, I have never shot anyone, I couldn't talk to my now deceased Mother if I did and I am not too keen on most opera, certain Puccini and Gilbert and Sullivan excepted.

I would like to hear this mans version of "Echo Beach", "For crying out loud" or "The Young Ones". Again, I can RELATE to them all.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
So we differ in that regard. I LOVE BR and I love Freddy Mercury.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Jeez, tough crowd.

You know, I think that this may have something to do with why I have yet to find a single friendly fellow pianist on this forum since joining a couple of years back.
Well, if you've used PW that much, it should have been clear that your posting satisfied the criteria for the forum Pianist Corner - Non Classical. Posting things to the proper forum will certainly help with your concern there. Posting "A Must Watch..." to the wrong forum is a different kind of posting.

Last edited by Sweelinck; 10/24/21 02:38 PM.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Jeez, tough crowd.

You know, I think that this may have something to do with why I have yet to find a single friendly fellow pianist on this forum since joining a couple of years back.
Well, if you've used PW that much, it should have been clear that your posting satisfied the criteria for the forum Pianist Corner - Non Classical. Posting things to the proper forum will certainly help with your concern there. Posting "A Must Watch..." to the wrong forum is a different kind of posting.

And yup, there it is yet again... exactly what I've been talking about. That same condescending tone that no doubt drives many newcomers away from this forum.

Glen

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
I don't see where that's condescending; it's just factual information that's intended to help you post stuff to the appropriate forum in the future.

Several years ago I was standing in line at the bank. An old fellow in front of me walked up to the counter and ordered a bowl of vanilla ice cream. The teller paused for a moment and then explained to him that he was in a bank and the restaurant is across the street.

The incident was pretty comical but nobody was condescending to the old guy -- he was just confused. He got directions to where he wanted to go and he went there to get his ice cream.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Originally Posted by FrankCox
I don't see where that's condescending; it's just factual information that's intended to help you post stuff to the appropriate forum in the future.

Several years ago I was standing in line at the bank. An old fellow in front of me walked up to the counter and ordered a bowl of vanilla ice cream. The teller paused for a moment and then explained to him that he was in a bank and the restaurant is across the street.

The incident was pretty comical but nobody was condescending to the old guy -- he was just confused. He got directions to where he wanted to go and he went there to get his ice cream.
There's a big difference between just giving information and the post in question which said "Well, if you've used PW that much, it should have been clear that your posting satisfied the criteria for the forum Pianist Corner - Non Classical. " That post is light years from just giving information like the story you related. "It should have been clear" implies fault on the part of the person it was directed to. I think that post is clearly condescending and borderline nasty. The OP was justified in being upset about being spoken to in that manner.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/24/21 04:48 PM.
OP Offline

Well I guess I'm just a senile old relic who has actually been treated just like one of the PW family on here after all, correct? Yup, apparently it's all just in my head. OK, I'll get out of everyone's hair now and get on with my life, so that all of you can return to being so friendly, helpful and welcoming, haha.

On the off chance that perhaps one of you 100,000+ members just may wish to correspond with me, well, I can still be reached via my website shown in my signature.

Glen

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
I dont know if the OP still reads the thread. In any case, i think that at least the responses are honnest. People say what they think of the piece. You cant please everyone and since this is classical forum, members are used to listen to highly virtuosic pieces, so this version is not technically a surprise. I think it is better to say that you dont like something rather than being falsely gentle. Its not a big deal if people dont like this version. Also when writting fast sometimes one can get or seem mean without any intention of being so. Though i recognize that occasionally some PW members are deliberately mean.

I really like Queen and BR. But i also think this cover is not very good. It is rather loud all the time and sounds more like a patchwork of tricks assembled in no particular order. I got lost rather quickly. Rather than being upset by the comments maybe there is some elements of truth to consider. But you can also think that we are all wrong. Again no need to get upset about it.

Blüthner model 6
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

There's a big difference between just giving information and the post in question which said "Well, if you've used PW that much, it should have been clear that your posting satisfied the criteria for the forum Pianist Corner - Non Classical. " That post is light years from just giving information like the story you related. "It should have been clear" implies fault on the part of the person it was directed to. I think that post is clearly condescending and borderline nasty. The OP was justified in being upset about being spoken to in that manner.
The OP was saying the PW users are unfriendly and unwelcoming after substantial use of PW and asking folks primarily interested in classical music for feedback on a non-classical performance, saying must hear this.

My feedback that it only held my interest for about 20 seconds was being generous in my response since there are a wide range of reasons why that could be, including my own musical interest. By comparison, some others chose to critique the performance itself, a less amicable response.

Originally Posted by Sweelinck

The OP was saying the PW users are unfriendly and unwelcoming after substantial use of PW and asking folks primarily interested in classical music for feedback on a non-classical performance, saying must hear this.

My feedback that it only held my interest for about 20 seconds was being generous in my response since there are a wide range of reasons why that could be, including my own musical interest. By comparison, some others chose to critique the performance itself, a less amicable response.
My comment was about Frank Cox's thoughts about your condescending comment:
"Well, if you've used PW that much, it should have been clear that your posting satisfied the criteria for the forum Pianist Corner - Non Classical. Posting things to the proper forum will certainly help with your concern there. Posting "A Must Watch..." to the wrong forum is a different kind of posting."

Your reply quoted above totally ignored that part. You didn't inform the OP, you berated him.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/24/21 07:43 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission