2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Jean Claude, eddiepiano, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, deadlymajesty, David B, astrotoy, Jo Martins, 7 invisible), 489 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Twindad
- And...I don't think this has been brought up yet...it saves on wear and tear on my Bechstein, which was one of the primary reasons I bought it.

Now - in my experience, as good as it is, it doesn't provide the same nuance and depth of possibilities in terms of creating different shades of sound as my acoustic.

The DP does save on the wear and tear on the hammers. Mine are still in good shape my tech said but after fifteen years, I definitely need to have a fairly aggressive filing as opposed to needling. I'm waiting on when he can free up a weekend to take the action to his shop. He has a very busy gig as head tech at the Colburn School. With covid opening he's swamped between the numerous school pianos and catching up with private clients.

As nice sounding as the N3X is, I still have to go check/listen to chord voicings/structures I come with on the D. My sometimes harmonically dense, complex chords are a huge part of my vocabulary when playing Jazz. I would say a solid half the time after writing my voicings out and then checking them, I have to change the notes, if I'm re-harmonizing a tune. Sometimes I add or subtract notes, or change the shape of the chord dramatically. The chords and their color just simply don't sound the same on a digital as acoustic. I can't come with the words to verbalize why that is, I simply have my ears to tell me-- yes that's right or no, that doesn't sound as good.

Again, I'm thankful to have the AG for in the living room, it really sounds excellent and is a highly useful, handy tool but restating the obvious-- it's not an acoustic, nor is it a D.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, CP4
X
Xam Offline
X
I love my AP, very personal relationship! I love my digi too(through my headphones) as they are just different instruments. Just the other day I played one of my compositions in Epiano mode on my DP and was awesome to hear it a different way! I also use the Clav mode a lot on the DP. The AP is part of the house upstairs, and been part of my heart since I first played her last December. The DP is in a cool studio room, downstairs.They are both just different vibes.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Xam
I love my AP, very personal relationship! I love my digi too(through my headphones) as they are just different instruments. Just the other day I played one of my compositions in Epiano mode on my DP and was awesome to hear it a different way! I also use the Clav mode a lot on the DP. The AP is part of the house upstairs, and been part of my heart since I first played her last December. The DP is in a cool studio room, downstairs.They are both just different vibes.

Same here... my acoustic pianos are my favorite, but I like my digital too. On the digital piano voices, I particularly like a combo/blend of the grand piano and 1960s electric piano. Not too plain sounding, and not too electrified sounding.

Although the digital has onboard speakers, I always play it through the Roland KC350 keyboard amp (outstanding low bass smile ). I rarely use headphones, because I live far enough away from all my neighbors as to not disturb them, regardless of volume.

Plus, I love all the different drum-beats the digital has, and lots of them.

So, yea, plenty of reasons to have both... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
J
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
J
Following a late second marriage, I find myself with something of a surfeit of pianos. Happily we have enough space. My wife has an Avantgrand N3 which lives in the dining room and I have my Sauter Alpha 160 in the salon, along with my old Sauter upright which I just can't bear to sell. She likes the Avantgrand because she can practice with headphones or play quietly and rarely uses the Sauter, I use both but more often the Sauter. I can't abide playing with headphones (or quietly, or transposed) so the Yamaha doesn't really offer me anything that the Sauter doesn't and bluntly the Sauter is (for me) just so much more rewarding to play.

I am under no illusions however. I know perfectly well that if we ever move to a smaller house it will be the Sauter that has to go.

T
T
BOTH
I have a Kawai ES110 with all the trimmings on one side of music room and Yamaha U 1 in the other inter faced with the other side via AKG Mikes
Rarely touch digital —once I experienced a real piano(I am a retired guitarist —64 years) , I realized it’s the strings-real strings -the tactile sensations alone does it for me.
Occasionally I have to be quiet or do some work on digital —my chops have no problem in adjusting—digital feels lighter action. My Yamaha U 1 not heavy action either-medium-My aunts Steinway is another matter.
My digital rig is a luxury but it is portable.. sounds nice,
BUT unless you live where you can’t play it, I’d go with the acoustic.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drewhpianoman
... am wondering why some/many of you own both a DP and acoustic. ... What value do you find in owning both? Recording/composing? Curious to know if I should maybe rethink selling it.

I like having pianos and keyboards strewn all over the house. It's the opposite of out of sight, out of mind. If the instruments are always in-sight and in-mind, it's easy to find any old excuse to sit down and play.

My Roland FP-30 gets the most use, because it's next to my bed. Closely followed by my Casio CT-S1, because it's in the kitchen. Both are strategically placed to sidetrack me whoever I enter/leave of the house! I also have a beautiful Kawai K800 in the living room and beat up old Steingraeber upright in the family room; so I have a "piano reminder", not matter what room I'm in.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission