2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (An Old Square, Animisha, 36251, anotherscott, ajf0016, 8ude, AlphaBravoCharlie, beeboss, 23 invisible), 874 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Soon I will bid farewell to Cassie O., a.k.a. Casio CTK-558. Today I purchased a used Yamaha YPG-635 which actually has 88 keys and comes with a sustain pedal and a music desk and a bench. I'm still on the hunt for that elusive low-budget baby grand, but in the meantime, now I can play a few of those Chopin and Beethoven pieces that I simply could not play before with only 61 keys.

[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/3166031.html#Post3166031[/img]

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Congrats on the new-to-you piano! Switching from 61 keys to 88 may feel awkward for awhile but will be great for you to not limit yourself to a small range. Enjoy! šŸ˜€

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by dogperson
Congrats on the new-to-you piano! Switching from 61 keys to 88 may feel awkward for awhile but will be great for you to not limit yourself to a small range. Enjoy! šŸ˜€

Thanks! I grew up playing a regular 88-key acoustic upright, so 61 keys never felt right to me. :-)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your new 88 key digital piano!

A relative gave me a nice Casio 61 un-weighted key digital, but I've never even powered it up and tried it. Once you get used to 88 weighted keys, it's difficult to move backwards. Of course the keys on the acoustic are always weighted, though some are heavier than others.

It's nice to move up to a better piano, whether digital or acoustic! smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Rickster
Congratulations on your new 88 key digital piano!

A relative gave me a nice Casio 61 un-weighted key digital, but I've never even powered it up and tried it. Once you get used to 88 weighted keys, it's difficult to move backwards. Of course the keys on the acoustic are always weighted, though some are heavier than others.

It's nice to move up to a better piano, whether digital or acoustic! smile

All the best!

Rick

Thanks, Rick! I actually got my old Casio for free, too, so I guess I can't complain about it too much. :-)

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Your Yamaha YPG looks good! I like the colour of the wood against the grey.section.By the way when you do look for an accoustic, do consider looking at some upright pianos as well.
In the time being enjoy your Yamaha YPG!

My piano's voice is my voice to the great unknown, out there..in other words a hymn.That is all but that is enough.

Just sold my old C2 and am thinking of replacing it with a CBechstein124, Schimmel K132 or a YUS5.
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by tre corda
Your Yamaha YPG looks good! I like the colour of the wood against the grey.section.By the way when you do look for an accoustic, do consider looking at some upright pianos as well.
In the time being enjoy your Yamaha YPG!

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good as well. Today I connected the sustain pedal, and playing with a pedal again was a good feeling. Uprights are indeed on my radar, and they are often better suited to my budget.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your Yamaha. With 88 keys and a sustain pedal, you should be ready for Holiday entertaining. Iā€™m practicing my Christmas music.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason Iā€™m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by j&j
Congratulations on your Yamaha. With 88 keys and a sustain pedal, you should be ready for Holiday entertaining. Iā€™m practicing my Christmas music.

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about playing and practicing Christmas music, but I suppose I could.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
The title of your thread reminds me of a song we sang in our school choir."Fairwell Cassie,we hardly knew ye"

I cannot remember what the name or the first line of the song was.The words of the chorus and the music are stuck in my memory though...

"Will ye no come back again"
"Will ye no come ba-aack again"

I was wondering if "Fairwell Cassie,we hardly knew thee" was part of that song. šŸŽµ Perhaps not, then please ignore.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
'Will ye no come back again' is from the Scottish lament 'Bonnie Charlie' It is a slow and mournful waltz hoping for the return to Scotland of Bonnie Prince Charlie after the failure of the Jacobite rising of 1745. It is often used as a means of torture by bagpipe players.

I've never heard of 'Cassie I hardly knew ye' but it sounds as though it would be related to the Irish tune 'Johnny I hardly knew ye'. The same tune, or variants of it, are also heard in the nursery rhyme 'The animals went in two by two' and the American marching tune 'When Johnny comes marching home'.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the information! Well it must have been the song about Bonnie Prince Charlie.Thank goodness no bagpiper played with us, or perhaps if they did it would have been more memorable.šŸ˜‰
(actually I quite like a distant bagpiper playing)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by c++
Soon I will bid farewell to Cassie O., a.k.a. Casio CTK-558. Today I purchased a used Yamaha YPG-635 which actually has 88 keys and comes with a sustain pedal and a music desk and a bench. I'm still on the hunt for that elusive low-budget baby grand, but in the meantime, now I can play a few of those Chopin and Beethoven pieces that I simply could not play before with only 61 keys.

[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/3166031.html#Post3166031[/img]

I got one o' those, used, from my piano shop. I'd tried it out as a replacement for my DGX620, which was v similar. Sounded good when i played "Bridge over troubled . . ." partic. the intro. Somebody else in the shop came over, making inquiries as to the piano. I had to buy it before they did . . .
I played my best stuff on that, about 9 years ago now. You should enjoy it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
c++ Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by peterws
I got one o' those, used, from my piano shop. I'd tried it out as a replacement for my DGX620, which was v similar. Sounded good when i played "Bridge over troubled . . ." partic. the intro. Somebody else in the shop came over, making inquiries as to the piano. I had to buy it before they did . . .
I played my best stuff on that, about 9 years ago now. You should enjoy it.

Thanks. I've only had it a couple of days and I am already enjoying it. thumb

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casiotone & Sustain Pedal - Sustain too long
by Charline - 12/08/21 11:23 AM
HELP! 1965 Mason and Hamlin BB
by cschuh1 - 12/08/21 10:15 AM
A Steinway that sounds like a Bechstein?
by cygnusdei - 12/08/21 09:55 AM
Piano height
by Dantheboogieguy - 12/08/21 07:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,446
Posts3,151,460
Members103,556
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission