2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (80k, Animisha, 36251, axomas, Anevsky, anotherscott, AndreaH, Adem, Azalingchan, 15 invisible), 4,586 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
W
W
Sorita or Bruce 1st price, one of them, there's no other way. Armellini level below both of them so probably 3rd price. Pacholec clearly worst of all (I have no idea what is he doing in final, second stage was ceiling for him). Kuszlik probably somewhere around 4th/5th place. Rest is mystery for me. Gevorgyan because of her lack of delicacy in 2nd movement will go home empty handed probably, 6th price at best.

I can't judge Gadijev and Garcia, they're way above my tolerance of interpretation freedom so I'm not objective even though I believe Garcia played this concert better than Gadijev. Maybe I would be more happy with Garcia performance if he'd stop singing, but this is purely my problem, not his.

Last edited by wojtanowsky; 10/20/21 03:41 PM.
B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
That's a wrap on the playing phase of the competition! Thanks to everyone for their comments in the past few weeks, especially those in Poland who were able to watch it live and offer feedback. These megathreads are always fun.

While we wait for the results, check out this TV Polish station that has been interviewing candidates after their performances. You can get a good sense of their personalities and how they felt about their performances:

B
B
Bruce really lit it up in the final movement, very dancelike, very virtuoso. He should figure in the top tier. Sorita and Garcia are also top contenders. Since judges don't evaluate just the concerto stage, these three are in the mix.

Eva should win prize for youngest finalist.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I agree on Liu and Sorita. But the edge (just my totally subjective opinion) goes to Liu. His technique is .... well... I can't say I've heard technique THAT PRECISE in years and years of listening. And obviously I found the musical side of his performances completely satisfying. Sort of a MAH, but with much more feeling.

The vibrato finger thing his does bugs me a lot, though. You CAN'T DO vibrato like that at least on a piano.

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 10/20/21 04:04 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant
I agree on Liu and Sorita. But the edge (just my totally subjective opinion) goes to Liu. His technique is .... well... I can't say I've heard technique THAT PRECISE in years and years of listening. And obviously I found the musical side of his performances completely satisfying. Sort of a MAH, but with much more feeling.

The vibrato finger thing his does bugs me a lot, though. You CAN'T DO vibrato like that at least on a piano.
Yeah, I agree. You can't do the vibrato after hitting a key. But mentally it helps the player.
Bruce's technique is fab, no doubt. His solo work was mesmerizing. Hope he places high. That would be a win for FAZIOLI!

Last edited by BeeZee4; 10/20/21 04:09 PM.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
S
S
I don't think the "vibrato" in Liu's playing is only helpful mentally. It's also to physically release tension and weight from the arm into the key, so as to better prepare for the next hand position.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Faz have to be VERY happy. He (Bruce Liu) dominated the instrument, in a good way. I'm not a BIG Faz fan, but heck he made it sound spectacular. Fantastic PPPs in the middle movement and fffs in the first and last.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Spaetensonaten
I don't think the "vibrato" in Liu's playing is only helpful mentally. It's also to physically release tension and weight from the arm into the key, so as to better prepare for the next hand position.

I hope you're right. But in the end it hardly matters. Re-listening now to Liu: he strikes me as altogether in a different category from the others, at the very least technically.

In fact, I don't believe I OWN a recording of the E Minor that was as technically pristine and as musically satisfying as the interpretation I just witnessed.

I'm betting he's the "winner" (hate that word) because no matter what folks think of him, he's obviously going places and the Chopin Competition out of Warsaw will want some of that cred.

B
Brendan Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
B
Possibly, but I'd still say that Seong-Jin Cho was overall better and a more qualified winner. Liu will get a prize but I find the others to be more interesting artists.

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Too bad for Kobayashi, though I was not that impressed with her previous round. The jury takes into account all the previous performances so the concerto is not the only deciding piece.

I found Liu excellent in the virtuosic parts, the rondo in particular where he really nailed down the brilliancy, but he missed the spirit of the romance, it was well played but basically lacked the necessary cantabile.

The end result is very open as there are a number of candidates relatively close to each other. Difference with previous sessions is that there isnt any one that is clearly ahead of others, though I have my preferences. It will be down to the jury collective biais toward one particular style.

Blüthner model 6
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Too bad for Kobayashi, though I was not that impressed with her previous round. The jury takes into account all the previous performances so the concerto is not the only deciding piece.

I found Liu excellent in the virtuosic parts, the rondo in particular where he really nailed down the brilliancy, but he missed the spirit of the romance, it was well played but basically lacked the necessary cantabile.

The end result is very open as there are a number of candidates relatively close to each other. Difference with previous sessions is that there isnt any one that is clearly ahead of others, though I have my preferences. It will be down to the jury collective biais toward one particular style.

Her Chopin is extraordinarily detailed and ALWAYS satisfying.

Liu took the Romance at pace, as they say in England. Might have sacrificed contemplative aspects. Yet it worked for me. Not difficult in the narrow technical sense, but it can so easily drag if you get too “wrapped up” in the emotion.

Last edited by johnlewisgrant; 10/20/21 05:10 PM.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
F
Ahh I’m so sorry for Kobayashi. I understand what everyone is saying. I agree with you but cannot help so bad for her.

T
T
The operative word in the jury rules is "should" - they should consider competitors' early stages in making the final decisions. I do wonder about the Special Awards, including the one for the Best Concerto, although the rules for voting and awarding them are very specific.

Work in progress...
S
S
Here's my prediction for the special prizes:

Concerto: Sorita
Mazurka: Liu
Sonata: Garcia Garcia
Polonaise: Sorita

E
Silver Subscriber
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
E
Does anyone here know if the three prize-winners' concerts will be live-streamed? I don't recall from 2015 if they were. Thank you...

Working on: Schumann, Faschingsschwank aus Wien Op. 26; Mozart Piano Sonata No. 10 in C major, K. 330; Grieg, 25 Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances, 0p. 17 (selections)
B
B
Cute! Iron Chef Sorita and Aimi Kobayashi are childhood friends and close neighbors.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
F

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content

2000 Post Club Member
F
Iron chef? Sorita intended to look like Samurai, he said (lol)

S
S
This ongoing freewheeling chat between the Finalists and MCs is beyond cringe...so embarrassing. Could you believe that some of the finest young musical talent anywhere in the world just spent a few minutes collectively blabbering about the art of ceiling-staring on a livestream with 50K+ viewers?

Last edited by Spaetensonaten; 10/20/21 06:21 PM.
Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Spaetensonaten
This ongoing freewheeling chat between the Finalists and MCs is beyond cringe...so embarrassing. Could you believe that some of the finest young musical talent anywhere in the world just spent a few minutes collectively blabbering about the art of ceiling-staring on a livestream with 50K+ viewers?
I've seen some talks and finally i think the cringe factor is the italian guy, that should be the one that brings structure and cohesiveness to the talks because supposedly he is the professional journalist, but fails totally at it.

About the finalists, there's just a group of young people releasing the tension of the long competition, and having fun, nothing wrong about it. Gadjiev seems an interesting guy actually.

B
B
Basically a time filler till the announce the winners. But some interesting stories, Armillina falling down on stage at the beginning of one of her concerts, Bruce playing Liszt with a broken leg, etc. But Gadjiev is the most interesting personality.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,791
Posts3,205,155
Members105,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission