2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (An Old Square, Animisha, 36251, anotherscott, ajf0016, 8ude, AlphaBravoCharlie, 23 invisible), 836 guests, and 527 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3164689 10/17/21 11:48 AM
T
Twindad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
(Cross-posted from Tech forum - appreciate any experiences /suggestions from this group as well!)

Hello all,

I’ve done a search, but haven’t found my particular answers addressed – apologies for any redundancy. I’ve put this on the tech forum because I would greatly appreciate your knowledgeable guidance on a few different topics around a potential move from the SF Bay area to Chicago.

I have two pianos, and my questions are different for each of them:

1) I have a Yamaha N2 AvantGrand. Is this something that requires “real” piano movers, or is it something that could be safely moved with the rest of the household goods by regular movers? The latter, would of course, be much easier.

2) My 6’ Bechstein is a different matter, on several fronts

a. We’d be moving from Piano Climate Heaven (in terms of temp / humidity) to Piano Climate Hel-l. Depending on when that move might happen, would it make sense to temporarily store it in a climate controlled facility? I don’t know if moving it in, say, February, when it’s frigid / no-low humidity would cause any lasting damage, and if it would be better to move it in a milder month (April).

b. I had new hammers and bass strings put on 4 years ago, which of course included a full regulation. I give the piano a pretty good workout, so it’s getting close to that time for it to have another full regulation done. The issue: I have a fantastic tech here, and what lies ahead is an unknown; do I have a regulation done here by someone who knows my piano intimately (and who I know is a great tech), before the move, or wait until it’s moved and settled before getting it regulated by someone new and unknown (in other words – will the move have an impact on the regulation, and thus it’s better to wait)? I'll obviously talk to my tech about it, but additional data points are also welcome.

Thanks so much for any insights and guidance you can share.

Steve
1990 C. Bechstein M-180
S
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
S
I moved house with my NU1 using regular movers; but I ensured they had a low loading tailgate truck with lift (elevator?), a suitable dolly for overcoming single steps and doorsills, and personally watched them encase it in blankets and strap it in the truck. So I made a bit of a fuss but they took it in their stride.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Wow! That is a move to a different climate, for sure. Chicago has some fine technicians and I am happy to make a recommendation if you wish.

As far as your pianos are concerned, if you choose a general mover carefully, you could be just fine. As an alternative, you could have a local piano mover load the piano at the start of your move and another local piano mover unload the piano at the destination.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Nothing against Chicago, Steve, but it sounds a lot like you would prefer to stay right here. Any chance of that?

In any case, "SF Bay Area" covers a lot of area, and if you have someone in the trade locally, already familiar to you, they might be able to direct you to a long-distance piano mover in whom you could have confidence. Appropriate insurance is a part of that confidence, as is a serious conversation about the advisability of moving pianos in climate-controlled vehicles.

I'll ask my tech if he has an opinion about your questions, and if he knows someone you might call to discuss it further. There have been conversations about this on this forum, but it has been some years back, and a more current discussion would probably serve you better. However, the older threads are there for the looking-up.

Clef

T
Twindad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Chicago has some fine technicians and I am happy to make a recommendation if you wish.

Thank you, Rich! I'll reach out to you separately for your suggestions. BTW - as a reminder - I visited you in your rebuilding shop on a Saturday early morning a few years back when I was visiting my son in college in NJ. He graduated back in May, so my occasions for being in the Philly area are reduced now.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
1990 C. Bechstein M-180
T
Twindad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Nothing against Chicago, Steve, but it sounds a lot like you would prefer to stay right here. Any chance of that?

LOL Jeff! After living here for 25 years, there's inevitably a bit of Northern California bias that might creep into my words. We'll see how life progresses, but the likelihood is a move.

Appropriate insurance is a part of that confidence, as is a serious conversation about the advisability of moving pianos in climate-controlled vehicles.

I'll ask my tech if he has an opinion about your questions, and if he knows someone you might call to discuss it further.

Your words are well noted, and appreciate you asking your tech.

And yes - the "Bay Area" is a large area. I live in the East Bay, and my tech is based in Sacramento!

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
1990 C. Bechstein M-180
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OMG, if you move from Bay Area to Chicago, I can hardly imagine your feelings in, say, February.
Unforgettable experience, I bet, is waiting for you!

P.S. I was so happy when my son chose NYC instead of Chicago for his college years!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Twindad
Thank you, Rich! I'll reach out to you separately for your suggestions. BTW - as a reminder - I visited you in your rebuilding shop on a Saturday early morning a few years back when I was visiting my son in college in NJ. He graduated back in May, so my occasions for being in the Philly area are reduced now.

Thanks,
Steve

Of course I remember! Sorry you won't be in Philly again anytime soon, but we deliver to Chicago if ever the need arises. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casiotone & Sustain Pedal - Sustain too long
by Charline - 12/08/21 11:23 AM
HELP! 1965 Mason and Hamlin BB
by cschuh1 - 12/08/21 10:15 AM
A Steinway that sounds like a Bechstein?
by cygnusdei - 12/08/21 09:55 AM
Piano height
by Dantheboogieguy - 12/08/21 07:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,446
Posts3,151,460
Members103,556
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission